2-Year-old Preschool

Has anyone ever put their child in a 2-year-old preschool program? Was your child ready for it? I have signed my daughter up for the year (2 days/week), she doesn't make the cut-off date by about 13 days, which is OK with the school. I'd like some opinions though or maybe anyone's own experiences with this situation. I signed her up a while ago but am having second thoughts now.

My daughter went to a 2-day a wk preschool last year when she was 2 1/2 and loved it. And my youngest is now 2 and will be starting on tuesday. We went to visit her classroom today and I left the room and she had no idea that i wasnt there. The 2 yr old programs are adorable, they do a lot and also last year my oldest learned all her colors and shapes. And most of all the are around other kids. Hope this helps.

After teaching preschool for way more years than I will admit to, I am of the opinion that most children only "need" a three mornings/week pre-k program the year before they go to kindergarten. They get everything they need, which is mostly social skills. Preschools with a focus on learning through play are the best.

It depends on the program. My now 5 year old began as a toddler. The first few weeks were an adjustment, since he had never been left before, but the social skills he has developed are amazing. He is reading well, not perfect. He has just begun K this year. My 2 year old is in her first week at school. There are tears, but she is doing well. I would recommend a Montessori type of program where the teachers are highly trained and the program allows for a great deal of flexability within the learning environment. You will discover that there is a great deal of difference between a "school" and a daycare type of environment. Look for a school that includes younger ages.
Good Luck.
ER

My daughter missed the cut off day by 19 days the year she started. She spent 3 years in preschool, but was more than ready to start kindergarten this year. It got her in to something with other kids and she was ready. It's just that you have to be 5 by september 1st to start kindergarten and most preschools say 3 by september 1st. We found a wonderful one that would take her and I love it. My younger daughter will be going there next year. So if you feel that she is ready and and do it, I highly recommend it. I know that my daughter was not the only one in her situation in her preschool class.

I sent my daughter to a 2 year old program. She was the youngest and was barely 2 when they started. It was wonderful for her because it gave her the chance to be around other kids. She just turned 4 and is in the 3 day 9AM-2PM program. I don't think it ever hurts to start a child sooner rather than later. Give them a head start. They're expected to know so much when they get to kindergarten.

A.
Be sure of what you are getting into. A "preschool" for 2 year olds who don't make the age cut off? I believe that should more appropriately be called "day care". I have many close friends and relatives that put their child in preschool for three years, instead of two because they "thought" their child needed to go to school, to be around other kids, even though they had two or three siblings at home! I think that the Preschool will more than happily hold out their hand and accept your child who is too young, as long as you are paying the tuition three years in a row. Maybe you are having second thoughts for a good reason. Good luck with your decision.

I put my son into a pre-school program when he was 23 months. It is a montessori program and he loved it!! He did really well. He cried the first couple of weeks when I dropped him off, but then he did great.

I'm sure your daughter will adjust well - just give her some time to settle in.

A Mother's Boutique
Maternity & Breastfeeding clothing, Nursing Bras, Breast Pumps, Slings and Accessories.
MamaSource members save 10% off their first order (excluding breastpumps) with coupon MAMASOURCE
http://www.mothersboutique.com

I'm off to orientation for my 20 month old's "Mother's Morning Out" program! It is two days a week from 9am - 12pm. He's my independent one, but I think he'll really enjoy the interaction with the other kids, plus his older sister will be at the same school. She did the program last year at 2.5 and was too advanced so they moved her up to a ligitimate preschool class. She loved it and I had to drag her out of there almost everyday!!
In short, I'm going to give it a try for him. It's the best way for him to learn social skills that I can't teach him, and focus on the basics, which is harder to do with him b/c he's #2!
I would just encourage you to give it a try! She may get upset for the first week or so, but then she may grow to really enjoy the change of scenery and love the routine!

Hi A.!
I worked in a pre-school for four years and putting them in at two is a great idea! They really need social interaction at that age with different groups of children other than their usual playdate friends. Also, it gives them a chance to learn some independance from mommy and to start learning to take intructions from someone other than you.

Two days a week is perfect! I'm sure she'll love it!!! And remember...short goodbyes...long hellos. If you are confident while you are dropping her off, she will feel better about being there. Try not to get too emotional dropping her off because that will only make her feel insecure. "Cause if mommy is insecure about me being here, than I am too!"
She'll grow to love it and become a self assured, confident little girl...around mommy or not! :) Good Luck!!!

Where i live i am pretty sure that the preschools are 3 and 4 yrs. old. I think the 2's is just daycare. You are fortunate to have that option. Don't worry, 2 days a week is not bad. I have heard it is how old they are....2 years gets 2 days a week, 3 years gets 3 days etc. I never had them in preschool that early but she may love it. Best of luck to you.

1 / 3