2 1/2 Year Old Pulling Hair Out

My 2 1/2 years old daughter is pulling her hair out. She does this at bedtime and at school during the day. Last night I braided her hair to prevent this but when she woke up she had upbraided her hair and I found a hair ball (small bunch of hair). She just twist the hair until its a little ball then pulls it out. She does the same it I put it up in ponytails. She will take her hair down. If I leave it down she does the same thing. Any suggestions on how to stop this behavior. I was thinking of cutting all of her hair very short so she could not pull at it and hopefully by the time it grows back the habit will have faded. But I really don't want to do that.

I have no idea, but I would definately talk to her pediatrician about this. Also pay attention to any other changes in behavior that you can tell the doc about.

My sister did the very same thing when she was little. My mother cut her hair very short and got her ears pierced. Like others have said, she had outgrown the habit by the time her hair was growing again. Best wishes!!!!

Your child probably has the medical condition called "trichotillomania". You can find an explanation on "kidshealth.org". I had a childhood acquaintance who had this condition from a young age who repeatedly pulled out her eyelashes. There was no medical explanation back then, luckily there is now. Good luck. P. E.

My 4-year-old twirls her hair into horrendous knots. The hair on the right side of her hair is thinner and shorter (which you can see visibly when I try to put it in pigtails, but is less obvious when it's down or in a ponytail). She doesn't intentionally pull it out, but a lot of it comes out as I painstakingly comb out the knots.
Does your daughter suck her thumb or use a paci? Mine still sucks her thumb, and I've heard from at least one other person that when her daughter stopped sucking her thumb, she also quit twirling her hair. I'm hoping, but it's also been a struggle to get her to stop sucking her thumb. (We're about to resort to a thumb guard, I think.)
I'm also wondering about your daughter's personality. Out of my 3 kids, my 4-year-old is the most insecure (she's the middle one, though she was like this even before the baby came along!) and seems the most anxious about things in general (getting into trouble, getting answers right, people fighting, etc.), so I keep tending to think that sucking and twirling are really her ways of dealing with her anxiety, but I still don't know what to do about it otherwise.
I'm sorry I don't have much advice to offer you in dealing with the hair-pulling, but perhaps it helps to know that you are not alone in dealing with such hair issues. It might seem like a rather insignificant thing to others, but I know how worried and frustrated I get watching my daughter doing this to her hair (not to mention trying to comb out the knots!).

Dear Nicole,

My daughter did something very similar......from about 1-3 years old, she twisted her hair at night to comfort herself to go to sleep. She would twist and turn the hair around her finger till she couldn't do it anymore. The result was that her hand would be tangled in her hair, and when I would sneak in to unravel it, there would be tufts of hair everywhere. Eventually, she wore a bald spot on the right side of her head. We finally cut her hair short and gave her a cuddly doll with yarn hair as her sleeping pal. Somehow it worked.

I've heard about a condition that sounds something similar to this; try researching and asking her pediatrician about Trichotillomania, or the "Hair-Pulling Habit." I think it's like a nervous tic. Therapists are paying more attention to this sort of thing these days; maybe your ped can recommend something that will help.

My sons best friend did the same thing around age three. He would pull out a couple of hairs and chew on them. Kind of a nervous habit. His mom finally shaved it real short. It worked. When it grew out he must of forgotten because he does not do it anymore. Good luck.

Hi N.,
You may want to try a Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil called, Peace and Calming. I have had great results with this oil. If you would like to try it contact me and I'll explain how you can get it.
<><

1 / 3