2 1/2 Year Old Falls Asleep Too Late at Night

My 2 1/2 year old daughter is falling asleep too late at night. Eventhough we start our bedtime routine (bath, books, brush teeth) at about 7:30 pm she doesnt fall asleep until 9 pm. She is still taking about a 2 hour nap daily. Im thinkng I might need to phase out the nap to get her to fall asleep earlier (on the few days she has missed a nap she falls asleep very easily around 7:30 pm). Has anyone else had the same problem? Did you phase out the nap (which Im hesitant to do because if she sleeps for 2 hours she probably needs to). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Its deffintaly time to get rid of the naps or atleast cut them down. My all most 3 yr old hasn't had naps for months now because she wouldn't go to bed at a decent time. It was rough at first getting rid of them. But we're all much happier now that they are gone. She goes to bed at a decent time and gets up at a decent time. I would start by cutting back and see how she does for bed. If it is still to much I would keep cutting back until you either get rid of it or find what's right for her.

My daughter is 2 1/2yrs old also. I know it is different for every kid, but here is what happened with her... She always would take a 2-3 hr nap daily, but then she kind of would start not talking them, even though I still thought she needed them. But the other thing was is that i couldn't get her down before 9:00pm. So a neighbor suggested trying to either cut out the naps completely or just on those days ya know she needs it. Since then she has been in bed and asleep no later than 8-8:30pm on the days she may have had a nap and on the days without a nap she is usually asleep by 7:30pm. It has been great. and she will sleep for 12hrs. and its great. And it does seem on those days where they haven't had a nap and she is just dead tired, I have put her down at even 7:00 and she seems to even sleep in more. But on those nights were she might go down past her bed time she will always wake up in the night more and earlier the next morning. It is weird, but I definitly see earlier to bed, no naps, has worked great for us.

When my son was three, I struggled to keep him down for a nap. I think I needed one more! He too would not go to sleep at an appropriate hour. I cut the nap and almost instantly, he fell right in step with our bedtime routine. I wish I had made the change sooner. Try reducing or stopping the afternoon nap, be consistent with your bedtime routine and see how she responds.

She is still taking naps!! you so lucky, lol

That is the culprit right there. If she takes naps during the day, she will fall asleep later, there is no way around that. My son stopped before 2yrs old. He wakes up at 8-830 up all day then in bed by 7pm. Like clockwork.

Bedtime for our children is 8, but my 2 1/2 year-old-daughter, like yours, usually falls asleep around 9. She just talks or sings to herself in her room. I see no problem with this, and I think it is her own way of winding down and enjoying some alone time. She also takes a daily nap, which I am grateful for because it helps me keep my sanity!
I wouldn't worry about it, as long as she is not out of control!

You didn't mention what time she is waking up. If she's waking up at 8:30 or 9 am she's probably just getting all the sleep she needs (including the nap) and it's just going from late night to late morning. My daughter who just turned 3, goes to bed between 7:30 and 8:30 (and usually falls asleep within 20 minutes), wakes up anywhere from 6 to 7 and usually takes a two hour nap.

If she's waking up late, you can reset her clock by waking her up about 15 minutes earlier every few days until she's waking up about an hour or two earlier and then she'll be going to sleep and hour or two earlier. If she's waking up ealier, then she's probably just getting the sleep she needs.

Is she crying from 8 until 9 pm? Or is she just quietly laying in her bed? If she's being quiet, she's probably just decompressing and re-hashing her day, like we all do. How is she during the day? Is she usually happy or is she grouchy and unbearable? The latter indicating a probable lack of sleep.

Think about her behavior and her sleeping habits before making any changes. Things may just be fine the way they are, it's just not happening on the time-table you'd like. If she's clearly in need of sleep, then don't phase out her nap otherwise she might be too tired to fall asleep.

I hope what I said makes sense. :-)

I am no expert by any means, but from what I have read over the years (I have three children) kids NEED their naps. The chart I recall seeing said that even kids up to age 5 can benefit from a 30-45 min. Nap. Kids are growing lots and their bodies need the recovery time. My suggestion would be to look at the time you are putting her down to sleep. Is there enough awake time between after the nap until she goes to bed? Perhaps adjusting the timing of the nap will help. If that doesn't work, then start your bedtime routine sooner. Have her IN bed by 7:30 or 7:45ish. If these options aren't working, then maybe it's time to shorten (not elliminate) her nap. There are creative solutions aside from just taking the nap away all together. My oldest stopped taking naps at 2 1/2 yrs. and it was a tough transition for us. She really needed a little bit of a nap still. Even just an 1/2 hour would have been helpful. Look into some sleep books as well. There are a plethora of authors who have written on this very subject. Good Luck.

If you are worried that she still needs a nap. Just limit her nap to a hour. And if you don't like that idea you could alway have your daughter more active during the day. Have races, dance around etc. But usually I just lessen the nap and get rid of it entirely. It takes them a while to get used to it they are grump. But I would just reduce how long her nap is for starters and after 2 weeks if she still isn't falling asleep until late you can either get rid of it or make her more active. I have 4 children ages 9-23 months.

The fact you said if she misses her nap and she falls right to sleep then that is a huge indicator that she may be ready to give up naps or take a shorter one. Is she really grumpy without a nap? If not then I would say just make it a hour nap then maybe not any at all. At her age she should be getting at the very least 12 hours sleep a day either all at night or at night and adding naps in.

1 / 3