2 1/2 Year Old Crying for an Hour Doctor????

As I write this, I realize how hard it would be to answer....but our good-natured little one who does not have a fever has apparently been crying for an hour! What should I look for? My dh has her right now and we are perplexed. Teeth? Sorry for such a vague post!

It could be teething, or she's coming down with something and just feels bad. Try a little motrin, and just hold her.

Maybe her ears hurt? See if she is patting/holding/tugging at one ear? Take off all her clothes and change her - maybe something in her clothes/diaper is bothering her? Maybe even her throat hurts? My daughter once did the same thing - she screamed all night and it was her throat/ears that hurt but we couldn't tell. The doctor told us to give her Motrin and that helped right away. She was then on antibiotics for ear infection that week.

Good luck. I hope she feels better!

I would get in to your doctor or to er. My son had ear infections in both ears and no fever. He woke in the night screaming and throwing himself back. He would not quit and we had to go to the er. My son had a fever a couple of days before but went away. He never screams like that so we knew something was not right we went to the er since it was 2:00am but if you can get into your doctor I would. Good Luck!

I'm sure you know, you have to trust your instincts about what kind of cry it is and whether she may be sick.

But I have two daughters. The first would have tantrums (rarely) that would last no longer than a minute -- never the sort of meltdowns I would hear about that would last hours. I have a very calm-natured second daughter as well. Suddenly, shortly after she turned two, she started having crying fits (mostly around bedtime I noticed later) that would last a half hour or more. I was so convinced my sweet little girl was sick. I waited for her to develop a fever, to cut teeth, for some other sign of illness. Nothing.

She started having tantrums. And I honestly don't remember how long that phase was, but it didn't last long. I would ask her what was wrong (she wouldn't answer), tell her I wanted to help her feel better but I didn't know what to do if she couldn't tell me, ask her if she wanted me to hold her (she wouldn't), tell her I know she must feel terrible to be so upset, and let her know I'd be in the other room if she needed me.

It was so not fun, but it passed fairly quickly.

Hope that helps.

have her ears checked....my experience when they are miserable and there are no outward signs that it is something inward and most often with my kids that has been their ears. sometimes ear infections only hurt when lying down...so they may seem fine all day but when they lay down the pain starts.

When my son was that age he did this once. He cried for several hours before we took him to the ER. Turned out he had nursemaids elbow. Check to see if she screams louder when you move her arms. My son has autism, so he has never been able to tell us what is hurting or why he is mad, we have to figure it out on our own.

Could be teething, if she doesn't have her 2 year molars yet. Could also be coming down with a fever or a cold, but hasn't presented any other symptoms yet. I would just give a dose of Tylenol to see if that helps any. I know how hard it is to try to communicate with a crying toddler. Good luck!

My son (10 mos) does not get fevers when he has an ear infection. Did you try asking her what is wrong? My 26 month old daughter tells me what hurts now...which I am thankful for. Make an appt and take her to the pediatrician to have her checked out -- at least if you can get her to tell you head, ears, or peeing or something, you might be able to narrow it down for the doc. 2 year old molars (my daughter got those early and without complaining at all) can hurt according to my own mom (guess my sister and I complained about them and spiked low-grade fevers) but she would likely NOT cry for an hour because of them....

1 / 3