Constipation: 2 1/2 year-old constipated -- Prune juice or Miralax?

Any ideas on how to get my daughter to pass a stool. She normally goes regularly once a day on a daily basis. It has now been about 3 days and she keeps complaining her stomach hurts. I can tell she needs to have a bowel movement but isn't. I have fed her fruits and about any other thing I can think of to "move" it and nothing is working. Please help!

WOW - THANK YOU ALL for your kind words and responses. Never knew how much mothers can come together and truly help each other out without expecting anything in return. That was the strange thing with this child. She eats very well especially fruits, veggies and almonds. So it didn't make since while she was constipated. After much work yesterday, running around the yard and house, eating plenty of applesauce and drinking apple juice - I was finally able to get her to have a BM. I know she still has some more to get rid of but at least she slept through the night and didn't complain much more about her belly after wards. Thank you all again for your help. I will definitely get some Miralax to keep on hand for the next time. With 3 children running around the house, it's a wonder I haven't experienced this before now. Have a great day! P.

Put about a half to one teaspoon of mineral oil in her juice. This is what my doctor had me do for my daughter and it works great.

prune juice, you can mix it with a bit of water in case it is too strong for her taste. Give her some bran cereal to eat, either a bowl with milk or just dry and she can eat it while playing. then I would call the doc and get a stool softener for children or a laxative.

W.

Dear P.,

Been there, done that, know exactly how you feel. since you've tried fruit.... mixing mineral oil in applesauce or something like that can help. Prune Juice is the old standby, but I don't think it tastes very good. Now they have plum juice which tastes better. Oatmeal might work, too. If you think this is just a one-time thing, give her some Miralax. It is a liquid and is now available over the counter. A warm bath can help, too, it relaxes the muscles. Good luck! L.

Pure all natural pumpkin. Not pie filling. Has fiber so it solidifies or loosens stools. I do with my dogs and kids. It works.
You are a blessing.
W. Morris
Sellersburg, IN

Dear Pricilla,
I had a nephew who was in the hospital for the same problem and gave him some Vemma. He was out in no time! Stays regular too. I can't advertise my business without violating Mamasource guidelines so maybe you can find out where to get some. My daughter also benefits from no allergies as a result of taking it. It's also an immune system booster so your son will be more resistant to disease as he enters the social environment of daycare or school. My daughter rarely ever gets sick and my husband and I are well up in years but not on any medications! ;-)

1-2 capfuls of MiraLAX in her milk or juice each day until she passes everything. Be prepared! She may have blowouts. It will not be pretty, but it works! MiraLAX is over-the-counter at WalMART, grocery stores, etc. in the pharmacy areas. Also, she may need a glycerin suppository to help pass any hard clumps that have formed. Good luck :~)

Try using some Kayro syrup in her juice or something she likes to drink. I used this for both of my kids since they were born . It has alot of sugar in it , but it will loosen her stool.Good Luck!

W.

she may need a mild stool softener. Once they become impacted its harder to get things moving without medication. Check with your pharmacist for suggestions.
I'd also rely on good old fashioned prune juice. That's natures Drano!!! It really works wonders.
good luck

Our ped suggested Miralax mixed in with her juice each morning. We have just started to use it, and she didn't notice that it was there.

1 / 3