2 1/2 (30 Months) Not Talking

My 2 1/2 year old boy is very limited in his speach. A few words he does say is no, up, down, juice, and a few other words we can not understand. I have asked my doctor, who basically said to give him time. Is anyone else experiencing this same situation?? He understand word and listens to us, he just prefers not to talk. He does go to daycare, which I hoped would help by hearing the other kids talk, but it hasn't. He definitly has picked up throwing tantrums from kids at daycare!!

Thank you all for your support. I will definitly look into the programs that were suggested. XOXO!!

Hi A., My son is a little under 2 1/2 and I was experiencing the same thing. I decided that he probably says a lot more than I think, so I sat down and wrote a list of all the words he says- regarless of how well he says them. I learned that he says about 100 words. My point is, if I would have had to guess prior to writing the list, I would have said maybe 10 words. It does add up when you really think about it.

I have a 2 1/2 girl. She was the same way a couple months ago and I was concerned. Her older brother was slow talking as well, but I somehow remember him saying more at the same age.
Just recently, it's like a light switch went off in her head and she's blabbling full sentences now. I can't understand half of it, but she knows what she's trying to say.
Be patient, before long you will be wishing you were back to the time when he didn't talk!

Some kids are just observers. My daughter didn't talk much as a toddler either... she's now 5 and I can't shut her up, lol. My husband is a quiet, shy guy and she gets that from him. His father didn't talk until he was 4 because his older sister always talked for him... and Einstein didn't talk until he was 4 and then one day asked, "Are we having buscuits with tea today?" so I've been told. As long as he's understanding you, I wouldn't be worried. Instead, enjoy these last few months before he starts talking back to you!! And believe me, he'd be starting to throw tantrums at this age with or without daycare. No worries, okay?!!

While the most likely scenario is that your son is just a late bloomer, it will not hurt to have his speech and hearing evaluated. If I had listened to all of my friends and family, my son would not have started receiving the therapy that he so desperately needs.

I became concerned when my son wasn't saying anything at 18 months. By 2, he could say momma and daddy and that was it. He was evaluated at 26 months by Early Start and started receiving speech therapy once a week. Now at 32 months, it is apparent that my son is not just a late talker. He has severe oral motor planning issues and will most likely be diagnosed with Childhood Apraxia of Speech. He now has 2 different therapists and they both tell me that we're going to be doing speech therapy for many years to come.

I'm not trying to scare you with my experience, but in my eyes, it's better to be safe than sorry. The speech evaluation is free, it doesn't hurt and the children usually have a good time playing with the toys and the therapists. Even if therapy is recommended, where's the harm in it? It won't hurt, only help. I think you should follow your instincts and demand a referral from your pediatrician. If he doesn't give you one, find someone who will. You may also want to read Lisa Geng's The Late Talker. This book shows the differences between late talkers and children most likely to have speech disorders. Good luck!

I would be sure you get his hearing checked. As a teacher of the deaf, it is amazing how we parents think our children are hearing us, and equally amazing how my students can appear as if they hear, too. We call it the "deaf nod." Secondly, as mentioned before, look up CCS. They are a great service and will prvide free speech therapy until your child is 3, and support setting things up with your local school district after that. Best of luck!

At about 15 months I became worried about our son's speech. Like your son, he had a very limited amount of words. The red flag for me was that he wasn't repeating anyting we said. Usually at that age, they're parrots so my ped referred us to our local regional center for an asessment. Does your son repeat what you say or attempt to repeat it? If not, I'd bring it up again to your ped & ask for a referral to get him a speech asessment. Even if there's not a problem, then it won't have hurt to get him asessed. Our son will be 3 in June & has been getting speech for a year. His speech has progressed tremendously due to his once a week sessions. He also started preschool which helped. Hope this helps & good luck!

You are describing my son to a T! He had NO words at 2.5yrs, so you've got something! My son just turned 3 and now has about 300+ words, but is still developmentally a bit behind where speech is concerned. When he was 2.5yrs old, I took matters into my own hands and got a hold of a speech therapist who worked with him a few days a week. In a matter of a few visits, my son started to mimic. He now is initiating his own speech, (to ask for things etc...) but in only one or two words. But it's better than nothing! I did a search online for "Early Intervention" and it came up with many hits for different speech therapists etc...your school district also provides services via their special education department, starting around age 3 (at least in California they do). Check it out, or ask your pediatrician for a speech therapist recommendation if you don't see the kind of progress you're satisfied with. Boys are typically late talkers. Hope that helps.

-S.

Please please please get him evaluated! If nothing is wrong, only thing you are out is the evaluation. But if something is wrong and you do nothing, it will just make his life (and yours) miserable. My son was the same at 2, I did nothing. At 2.5 he hadn't progressed, and I finally did get him evaluated. We got him the speech and language help he needed, but even that takes a while to kick in. They don't learn all their words overnight. And it led to a good 6 months of severe frustration on his part and some very bad behaviors.
I'm not telling you to panic and rush out, but don't wait either. It may be nothing, but if it is something you want to get on it ASAP. Trust me. My son is now 6.5 and still in speech therapy, but what an amazing difference a good therpist made. I know we wouldn't be where we are (we all still like each other, LOL) if I hadn't reached out.

My first son was the same way. I actually didn't think too much about it at the time. We had his hearing checked when he was 4 - hearing was just fine. So along we went thinking "this is just how he is - not a talkative child". As a few years went by other little things started showing up - no related to his delayed speech - such as his odd pencil grip. In second grade he was diagonsed dyslexic. I poured over all the research their was. One of the earliest signs of dyslexia is delayed speech. I always wondered why they kept asking me on the various forms when he spoke his first words, when he spoke in sentences. Dyslexia is a language disorder - not a reading disorder. Just keep an eye on him - go with your gut always. Talk to you pediatrician. Is anyone in your family Dyslexic? It is hereditary. Best of luck to you.

I would encourage you to get him assessed for speech and language. Federal law now provides a program called early start that provides services for children under the age of 3. You want to contact ALTA Regional Center and ask for an assessment. Parents can refer and don't need their pediatrician to do it.

If his language is below a certain percentile, they will pay for speech and language services. When he turns 3 (literally on the day of his birthday), the school district is required to continue the services at their district. If his language is delayed enough, he may qualify for a speech and language preschool at the school district until kindergarten, also for free. The federal and state government don't require that a child have a true disability, only that the child's language is significantly delayed. By getting him help early, you can hopefully get him on track before kindergarten.

BTW, many tantrums are because a child can't communicate. They can be worse and go on longer in children with language delays because they get frustrated that no one knows what's upsetting them or what they need or want.

I have two children who are now 7 that were in early start and a language delayed public preschool program for 2 years and it was a God-send. They are both in regular classrooms now and there is not way they would've been without the early help. Our early start program taught us some basic sign language which my kids picked up really quickly and it kept tantrums at a minimum.

I have two girls who are 13 months apart. When the youngest one was 12 months she was saying a few words and then she just stopped talking. When comparing her to my older daughter I knew that this was not right. I took her to her doctor and had a hearing test done and then I started researching speech therapy options. I found Vally Mountain Regional Center in this area and they provided
FREE speech therapy for my daughter. A speech therapist came to my house once a week for therapy. When she turned three years old I then turned to the local school district and to Scottish Rites Temple Speech Therapy. Both of these options are free and she stayed in speech therapy in both of these programs until she was seven years old. Please act quickly in getting your child some help because as you can see speech therapy can take many years to be effective. Children can be so cruel when another child does not speak like them. I would definitely go to Scottish Rites and get your child registered. The waiting list at the time when I took my daughter in was a year.
A lot of what I learned through all of this was to talk to my daughter more, lot's of reading time, and not allowing my older daughter to speak for her younger sister. The strange thing was that when I didn't understand what my daughter was saying, her sister always knew! A lot of my daughters therapy was having picture flash cards with the word at the bottom of the picture and saying the word and then having her repeat it, over and over again. I hope this helps.

-M.
Stockton CA

1 / 3