1St Grade Class Size Question

Hi all moms out there.
I just had a quick question/poll. I am wondering how many kids are in your kids' 1st grade (or kinder or 2nd grade) classroom, if it's public or private, and what city??
Does anyone have any observations of the differences they've experienced with different sizes??? Any teacher opinions out there?? Any good links to effects of class size and student achievement?
I'm just wondering what's normal out there and concerned about CA school budget probs because there will be 33 kids in my son's 1st grade (no aide either, kinder had the same) !! We are actually in what's considered a pretty good district and now are actually thinking of switching to private. Thanks!!!
(I guess my ? wasn't that short after all)

I don't think 33 is legal. My daughter is 17 now and the limit was 20 kids in first grade. I thought i read it was 24. Are they planning on splitting it when school starts?

My oldest had 11 in his kinder, 20 in 1st and 2nd.

now w/ the budget cuts, my next child had 30ish in kinder, and I have no idea what is going to happen for 1st. I assume it'll be the same.

Public schools. I think the schools in poorer districts are able to keep 20:1 because they get federal $. My SIL had 18 kids last yr, and should this yr too, because she has many ESL kids. So, the more affluent the neighborhood, fewer teachers. And aids are a thing of the past. Volunteer in the classroom. It makes a big difference.

this used to be normal and teachers use to be able to handle a classroom full of kids with out a teachers aide. I don't understand why teachers nowdays need aides and smaller class sizes. I wouldn't worry about a large classroom.

Updated

CA's new max for k-2 is 24. I work for LAUSD and my K class will have 23 this year.

private kindergarten was 16 per class. it will be the same for 1st grade. publi kindergarten had 24 kids per class. more in first grade.

Updated

I am in Northern VA (Fairfax County) and my son's 1st grade class was 28 and as yet I do not know what size his 2nd grade will be , but I am led to believe it will be around the same size , and if they go over by too many they make another class and split the total kids in half.

When I was in Catholic school there was 22-25 kids in class each year from 1-8th grade. In HS there was 30-35 per class and one nun and those were the classes I learned the most from.
My kids elementary public school classes ranged from 12 in a class one year to as many as 25 in a class depending on the grade. Their JHS has approximately 28-30 kids in each class and the teachers don't take any garbage from any kid! In switched them from a private school that had kindergarten of 22 but by 4th grade had 11. The 4th grade and 5th grade teachers in that school couldn't control those small classes---the kids were sooooo bad! It depends on the teacher's ability to control the class---my opinion.

Call your home school and ask the secretaries how many students are assigned to each class, then a few days before school starts meet the teachers as they set up classrooms. If you don't like your child's assigned teacher, request a change, they will usually accommodate parents who take the time to care like you. (Personally, as an educator, I'd get my kid in with the youngest freshest teacher, teaching is a burn out job, teachers who are going on 30 years are mostly burned out.) Your answers are a phone call away.

Wendy

My son had 21 kids in public school, NYC, for 1st grade his friend in Catholic school also 1st grade was 38, no assist teach just the one. My GF said her daughter didn't learn enough or was challeneged enough because of the amount of kids.

1 / 3