1St Birthday Party B-day Cake Without Dairy or Wheat

Hello moms, my baby has his first birthday on June 25th and we want him to be able to celebrate with a b-day cake (mainly for pictures, not because most of it makes it in his mouth but rather on the floor!) but we need ideas for cake recipes that are dairy and wheat free. He is lactose intolerant and we are choosing to keep him off of wheat until he is 18 months old. He can eat oat, rice, and corn flour, but just no dairy or wheat. I'm thinking maybe some sort of carrot cake, because he loves carrots, without the cream cheese frosting? Any ideas? Thanx and God bless

Thank you to EVERYONE for the wonderful advice!!! I've had such an overwhelming response to this question I'm sure his birthday (and cake) will be a great one. Thanks again Moms!

Boy, have we been there! Our children are over 3 now and one reacts to wheat, all grains (including oats and rice, dairy, eggs etc. The other one is mainly just nuts, seeds and dairy. So birthday parties are nightmares. However, we've come up with lot of alternatives to the traditional wheat-based birthday cake. (the first year i think i simply made a birthday cake and he blew out the candle but didn't eat any!)

For frosting, you can use maple syrup or powdered sugar and water or if he's ok w/ soy, the Earth Balance buttery spread is a really good alternative. or, Cherrybrook Kitchen makes a dairy-free frosting we used recently (dairy free) that is great. Their cake mixes are not wheat free tho.
For a cake this year we made a buckwheat maple banana cake. It was pretty good. quite dense. and more like banana bread than cake but it did the trick. We made it in the shape of a train and decorated it with some colored frosting. and everyone ate it w/o choking it down too much! Our son doesn't know the difference, so he loved it. We got that recipe from the Allergy Self-Help cookbook by Marjorie Hurt Jones. It has a bunch or recipes that are free of ALL the common food allergens. Happy birthday to your little one!

There is a website: www.glutenfreeclub.com that is a great source of recipes as well as a forum for people with wheat/gluten sensitivities. You can also google gluten free, dairy free and come up with bunches of sites that will help you. Bob's Red Mill has good cake mixes, as does Pamela's. Whole Foods has a baked good section with gluten free foods, as well as a section for flours and mixes (cake, brownies, pancake/waffle, bread....)

Do a web search for "flourless chocolate cake." This is actually quite a trendy cake these days even for people who are not trying to avoid certain foods. They are quite good.

My son is also lactose intolerant. You can substitute soy milk or lactose-free milk in any recipe. I find that Lactaid brand makes things a bit sweeter. I actually prefer pudding and smoothies made with it. I haven't noticed any difference when using the lactose free version of the regular brand of milk.

Here's a website to try also. It had cake recipes for wheat free cakes for first birthdays. There is one for carrot cake. I didn't care for all of the ads on the webpage (sorry for that). http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/wheat-free-birt...

Have fun!

I also have that problem. I get all my cakes from kapcakes.com. She is local and has several options for picking it up. She is a local mom with a child who has celic disease. So, she has used her professional chef education to create wonderful and beautiful foods for those of us with the same problem. She is super nice and will custom make something to fit your needs. Also, it is always really yummy! Have a wonderful time!

Applesauce Carrot Cake
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup non dairy butter substitute (Soy Garden is good)
3 eggs
1 cup applesauce
1 cup brown rice flour
2 tablespoons potato flour
with enough rice polish to fill
one half (1/2) cup
1 teaspoon cinnomon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup raw, grated carrots
Beat eggs until light and fluffy, add sugar tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until thoroughly incorporated. Add Soy Garden or other butter substitute. Beat well.
Sift flours and seasonings together three times (potato flour can clump if not incorporated thoroughly) Add flours alternately with applesauce to egg mixture.
Fold in grated carrots. Grease 8x8x2 pan. Dust with rice flour. Bake @ 325º for about
50 minutes or until toothpick test in center cones out clean.

Merylyn (aka M.)

May I also suggest trying millet flour, which, when finely ground, is very delicate and cake-like? Mixed with oat and rice, and a bit of potato starch, excellent alternative to fine ground wheat flour. And there is a pretty decent soy-cream cheese you might try for frosting, mixed with maple syrup and a bit of vanilla.

Hi M..

I use traditional recipes and substitute the ingredients I don't want my family to eat with ingredients that are healthier alternatives and they honestly wouldn't know it if I didn't tell them. I use oat flour in just about everything. I also substitute half the sugar with stevia powder. You can google a stevia/sugar conversion chart on the internet. Good luck and Happy Birthay Elijah!

Here's a recipe from the Gluten Free Club:

White Cake

A classic white birthday cake.

Ingredients:

2 cups GF flour (Bette Hagman's)
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs

Directions:

Heat oven to 350.

Grease and flour baking pan, 13 X 9 X 2" or 2 round layer pans or for cupcakes (muffin tins) - use paper liners.

Measure all ingredients into a large bowl.

Blend 1/2 minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly.

Beat 3 minutes on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.

Pour into pans. Bake 40-45 minutes for oblong, 30-35 for round, and 15-20 for cupcakes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool.

I've also gotten gluten free mixes from Whole Foods and adapted the directions by using soy or rice milk.

Enjoy!

1 / 3