1St Birthday Invitaion Etiquette

For my son's 1st birthday I'd prefer for people not to bring a gift. I'm open to the idea of them bringing a book instead, but how do I word that on the invite? I don't want to sound rude, we would much appreciate a gift but it's just not neccesary.
Also does anyone have any fun activites they would like to share?
Thanks for any advice!

How about making a donation in the child's name. If books are a favorite..maybe a local library or a charity you are very fond of. Just a thought..

I felt the same way with my child's birthday, so I put on the invite "In lieu of gifts for Jane help us fill a basket for the local food bank by bringing a non-perishable item of your choice" I put out a basket with a big bow on it, and it got filled up! You could also check with the local animal shelters, they often need towels/other small items... I admire you, as I know it is not easy- I was really worried about sounding rude as well (I had been to their babies parties so I did not want to offend) I think that overall the response was extremely positive!

i did just the same for my sons 1st birthday and he got lots of nice books ~~!!
here are some of the ideas i found while searching for the words to put in the ivitations:

Although cards are nice they're only read once or twice. A book is a treasure forever and ever so instead of a card to be put aside, please bring (childs name) a book with your name inside.

I want to be a bright child as smart as I can be. That's why I am hoping if you plan to bring a card please take another look, I would like to learn my ABC's from your favorite storybook.

Instead of a card, we're inviting friends and family dear to choose a favorite story or fairy tale that you would like (childs name) to hear. It need not cost more than a card, just pick a favorite it shouldn't be hard.

have fun with them .. u can use your imagination and reword them if you want.

I concur! AND this is the perfect time to get a bunch of books. Our nearly 2-year old loves to sit at her bookcase.

I love this little poem - I put it in the invitations to a baby shower I hosted (but I stole it from someone else!) You could change "baby" to your child's name. "Dedicated" books are wonderful treasures...

"Although cards are nice
they're only read once or twice.
So, instead of bringing a card to be set aside,
bring a book for the baby with your name inside."

Happy Mom-day to you!

Hi J., You could say "In leu of a present please bring a favorite book to add to ------'s collection." Or you could say "Please share your favorite childhood book with -----." You could even do a book themed party, with games like add a line to the story, & what's your favorite character. Think outside of the box and be prepared for people to bring gifts...they love to lavish presents on the first birthday! Best wishes.

Hello... Yoou could say something like

Your 'prescence' is all we need if you feel you need to bring something consider a book or you could chose a food pantry or charity to have guests make a donation to.

Try www.birthdaypartyideas.com for great party ideas.

We were poor college students when we had my sons 3rd birthday party. All our friends were poor college students too. We did a gift exchange so that every child went home with a gift and my son only got one! This also replaced goody bags which by the time we'd bought, pizza, soda and cake we couldn't afford anything else. We played simple games and the kids had a blast!

Books ARE gifts--and the BEST kind of gift!!! No matter the age.
On the invitation for the subject line just put "Book Party for Joey" Give all the other particulars then write at the bottom; "Please build Joey's library by adding one of your favorite books!" People will definitely get it. Books are not necessarily a "cheap" gift as you know if you've book shopped lately, but the good news is that there are selections in every price range. Great idea!

It's perfectly fine to put your request for books on the invitation. I'm a mother of three boys, ages, 6,5,3. At some point, it's just too much stuff and it's not "needed". People also appreciate that they don't have to worry about "what" to buy for the birthday child. My youngest son just turned 3 and instead of a big birthday party and gifts, I sent emails out to request donations to AI Children's Hospital in lieu of gifts and still had a little party with pizza, cake and ice cream at my house. I kept it simple and my son had a fabulous time playing with the children and really didn't notice the lack of gifts. Mind you, some people brought a gift for my son so he did have something to open and I just graciously thanked the gift giver for being thoughtful and generous. Good luck with it! It'll all be just fine!

1 / 3