1St Birthday!

My son's first birthday is coming up in February. I haven't decided yet what to do for his party. We will probably just have family over at my parent's house. It won't be anything big since he doesn't know what it is yet, but I haven't decided on a theme. He likes Baby Einstein & Little Einsteins, maybe I could do something with that. What did/will you do for your child's first birthday? Did you use a theme, or just have cake and gifts?

The day finally came. We had his party yesterday even though he doesn't turn 1 until Tuesday. I decided on a Mickey Mouse theme since we also watch that show on Playhouse Disney. We found Mickey plates and cups and my mom had a Mickey cakepan. I just used a box cake and bought the spray can icing to decorate it, turned out really well. For the other decorations I just used balloons, streamer, and a happy birthday banner to match the colors. I also cut out Mickey Mouse heads using scrapbooking circles and put some of his newborn pictures on them. Everything turned out well except that he came down with a stomach virus that day, so he didn't get to enjoy the party. We will have a mini-party with just the immediate family on his actual birthday.

For my daughter we had a wiggles themed party and she had a blast with it, we played a wiggles CD and had a wiggles cake and we just had family over.

I don't know whether it will be helpful, but I had a girl and we did a mini-theme (since the child is mostly oblivious).
It was a doll-theme, so the cake was a doll and she got several dolls as gifts, and we had a pool party (was a warm climate) to entertain the adults. I find it's a greater party if you think of something the parents can do too. =)

Hi C., I am a mother of 2 and I have learned with both of them that when it comes to the first couple of birthdays and Christmas', we tend to go overboard. I would suggest that the most memorable thing you can do is to get family members and friends over and video tape your little angel tearing into his own, first birthday cake. Then have everyone leave him a little message that he can look at later when he is old enough to understand what went on. Save your money for things that you can get him or yourself that you need. You are a single mother, so being thrifty is probably a good idea. Besides, what more can you give your child than precious memories. Good luck in whatever you decide, J.

My sister did an Elmo themed party for her son. I made an Elmo cake and cupcakes. She had one party for family and another party for friends. I think if that's his interest, go with it, have a themed party! They may be so young they don't remember, so take a bunch of pics! :)

We did a Blues Clues cake and balloons at our local gymboree. They did a great job with all the kids! He was really into blues clues and had so much fun at his Gymboree class.

I'm an AP mom too and my son was cloth diapered. Have you checked out diaperpin.com yet?

My son just turned 1 in September. I had the blues clues theme for that. I baked the cake and can send you pictures of it if you would like. Whatever theme that you decide to go with let me know and I can do your cake if you want. I had family and some friends that had little ones of their own and he had a ball. Let me know if you would like to see the cake that I did and I could do yours as well if you would like. Depending on the detail is depending on how much I charge.

How much fun! When I was little, my grandmother always made us crowns to wear. When my son turned one, I wanted to carry on the tradition, so I went and got one from Burger King, painted it gold, and glued "jewels" on it (got a bag of gem stone looking things from walmart). He wore it proudly and I made a cake in the shape of the number one, decorated it on top with colored vanilla wafer cookies and I put lady fingers on the sides of the cake. I really didn't have a theme like I do now that he is getting older. I would explore some different cakes and enjoy this birthday, it only happens once, so make your own cake for him and let him tear into it and give a bite to every one at the party (our family would stand in line and when they got to the birthday kid, the kid would grab a handful of cake and put it in your mouth). Those are the best memories, I remember that more than any theme party I ever had.

Hi C.!
My daughter will be 2 in Feb - they grow up fast, don't they?

Anyway, I think themes are great, I just have one tip for you! When choosing a cake, if you plan to let your son eat some, make sure you get a cake with light coloring icing! My sister got one with dark blue & it stained her daughters hands! Just thought I would pass this on!

Enjoy the first birthday - we tried not to sing too loud because my daughter was a bit nervous when we put her in her highchair & all the guests were staring at her! But you will have a great time!

The 1st b'day is very special and one u will always remember. For our sons first b'day we ordered from birthday express and got a 1st bday theme.. it worked out great cuz we had his nursery done in teddy bears as well and these decorations not only had a big 1 on them but also a teddy bear and a rocket.

We took one of the napkins we ordered and had a local bakery decorate a big cake just like that and tied some balloons to each table ... It will just depend on what u feel most comfortable doin.. Either way it will be a very memorable day for u .. just have fun with it!

1 / 3