19 Month Old Won't Keep Diaper On

Hello,
My 19 month old little girl won't keep her diaper on! She takes it off the minute she is even slightly wet. Does this mean she is ready to be potty trained? If I ask her if she needs a diaper change she knows to go to the changing area, but she won't tell me when she is wet... she just removes her diaper. If she is ready for potty training how do I begin? Thanks for your help!

yes, please do, you can probably even pass up the pullup stage since she won't have anything to do with wetness. and I agree with Barbara j's note below..also.....except that I think she is ready...

M.-

Try the potty training. Start slowly - get a small (Baby Bjorn makes a good one.) See if want pull ups or big girl undies. I have heard of kids starting potty training at 19 months and then they revert back, cause it was a short phase.

If it's a phase she won't potty train. Pull ups helped us, they felt more comfortable my daughter. Also, remember at 19 months the "me -do- it" are starting - so this could be her "thing." Distraction, Distraction, Distraction - we used everything to distract the attention away from the diaper...

Hope some of this helps! Hopefully someone will come up with right answer that will work for you! Good Luck!

My kids did the taking off of the diaper too! But now beacause they were wet, they did it just because!!! I would say if she is taking it off only when she is wet, then yes, maybe she is ready, no hurt trying to start, just keep in mind she may not go for it ans don't be upset. I would also get her the "Once Upon a Potty -- Girl by Alona Frankel" video and/or book, it has a great "potty" song that kids seem to love!!! Good luck! D.

M.-

HI M.. That was one of the signs of potty-readiness with my daughter, and she was outta diapers and accident free at around 20 months! Just take it easy and make it fun and you might just be cutting your diaper costs drastically in no time!
K. in EC

The first sign that a child is ready to potty train is if they are waking up dry in the morning and/or after naptime. Taking off her diaper is helpful but at 19 months, I seriously doubt she is ready.

It is, however, a very good sign that she does not like to have a wet diaper on her body but it doesn't mean she has any control yet.

Give it about 6-8 more months and start looking for dry diapers first thing in the morning and right after naptime.

Blessings,
+B+

Hi M.. Yes, it is time. My daughter was doing the same thing and today she went #2 on the potty for the first time. Now is a good time because it's summer--that means they don't have to wear a lot of clothes and you have easier access! Get a little potty seat (my Dr suggested letting her pick it out) and every hour or so take her to the potty and constantly ask her if she needs to go pee pee also have her pick out some cute underwear. Suggest princess underwear and then tell her not to pee pee on the princesses. Girls catch on very quick but don't expect your son to be as quick. My son just got potty trained with a few accidents here and there - he's almost 4!! Good luck!

We went through the same thing as well with our daughter. I took it as a sign and ran with it. However, after a really good month of training (we were down to just a couple diapers a day) - she completely lost interest in the entire thing. She could care less and when I asked her about the potty it became a power struggle, so I took that as a sign to back off until the next window. Especially being that she was so young. I don't really have advice - just that we've been there too and for us it was a phase that passed.

We only had this problem during nap time, so I'd safety pin the zipper of her one piece closed. This worked well enough for us.

Another alternative I've heard of that I never got around to trying is duct tape. The kids can't get it off. The biggest problem with this suggestion is that you'd likely need to cut the diaper off when the time comes, since it's such a strong adhesive.

Note that I never got frustrated enough to try this, I just thought you'd like to hear about as many alternatives as possible.

Mother of a 9 year old daughter

Hey, M.--

My oldest did that and it drove me NUTS. The coveralls are a good idea--the onesie, if loose enough, doesn't give enough resistance and they can reach under and take it off anyway--my mother finally suggested safety pins. Worked like a dream. Once he forgot he wanted to do that I stopped the safety pins and we made it to potty training at three.

Good luck! :)

1 / 3