19 Month Old with Food & Environmenal Allergies- Help!

I finally had my daughter allergy tested and found out she is allergic to milk, eggs, nuts, dogs, and cats. Just to name a few. She even had a reaction to saline. Out of 18 prick tests, she was allergic to all but 2. So now I know she can have Soybean and Wheat. What now? She has severe eczema as well. She breaks out if we go swimming. Her skin has to be completely covered if we're playing outside, as she reacts to the grass. Sunscreen irritates her skin. My allergy doctor told me to bathe her everyday for at least 15- 20 minutes so that her skin can absorb the water it needs and she takes Zyrtec before bed. Other than that, which isn't improving her skin, I don't know what to do. Is there a sunscreen for sensitive skin? Should I keep her out of the pool- is that fair to my two older boys that have season passes to Roaring Springs (gifts from grandpa)? Is there anything I can do? Can she still live a normal life? Our next step is to try Rice Milk and Rice Pastas. Any suggestions on where to buy these or which ones taste better? My older kids' favorite foods are PBJ sandwiches and Mac N Cheese. Both of which she cannot have. Do I make her a different meal or eliminate items from our home that she is allergic to? Any advice at this point is helpful!

My son has the enviromental allergies as well as the eczema. The zyrtec has done wonders, but I also have noticed that it seems to help more if I give it to him in the morning, vs the night. Also, for his Eczema his dermatologist reccommended CeraVe lotion. I can only find it at Walgreens but it has done amazing things for his skin. It is worth a shot. Good luck

I only have a little suggestion on the bath water and hopefully she isn't sensitive to it too, but my daughter had a bit of dray patches (it was never so bad to go to the doctor specifically for her skin so I don't feel comfortable calling it eczema) but doesn't like to have lotion put on (I think sometimes her skin would 'drink' up so much lotion that it would feel funny/sting) and I remembered that my mom used to put baking soda into my bathwater when I was a kid. We buy baking soda in bulk (12# bags from Costco) and have it next to the bathtub. I put about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup in her bath, and it soften the water and her skin is soft without lotion.

I'm sure you will get a ton of advice. . . . and I could go on and on about my son. But, here are a few things:

Get peanut butter out of the house and get Sunbutter. Your boys won't even notice. We buy the 5 lb. buckets on-line for a great price (I supply my son's preschool with Sunbutter for everyone). You can even bake with it, but you have to tweak leavening, or the green in sunflower seeds will come out (tastes fine, just looks strange sometimes.)

This is a bit controversial, but some folks gave me this advice and I followed it, and while there's no way of knowing whether it worked or not, my son's severe reaction to pollution is gone, his asthma is gone and his allergies to dairy and egg are gone. . . . two things we did, that are healthy anyhow:

We beefed up his exposure to good fats in Omega 3-6-9s. There is evidence that it helps a kid's immune system "calm down". We did a simple supplement with our son, Nordic Naturals omega supplement. It came in a capsule and we just squeezed it out into juice. Don't buy fish oil at Walmart, the quality is nowhere near what you'd want. We also put ground Flax seed in alot of stuff.

The other thing we did was put him on a great children's supplement called Usana. Again, some research shows that it helps those little allergic bodies settle down and give up their fight against normal things like food, etc. Check out Usana on the net, the kid's vitamins are Usanimals.

And, if it turns out those things didn't work, well, then you've got your kid on a great supplement of good fats and vitamins, which is especially needed when there are alot of things your kid can't eat.

We did this for 2 years and when my son was 3 and we took him to the allergist for more testing, I started to cry when they said "all that he's allergic to is peanut and cat!". Again, I know there is no way to know if this worked, but we're believers!

Hi, H. - I do have a suggestion for skin products. I am a consultant for Arbonne. All products are vegan (no milk products) and botanically based. We can provide a list of ingredients for every product, just to make sure there are no allergies. Arbonne has a baby sunscreen that is great for sensitive skin of all ages. Plus, there are baby products (hair and body wash, diaper rash cream, and oil). There are even vitamins for little ones. All products have a 45-day money back guarantee. If I can provide you with any information or even a sample, please contact me through our website: www.feelpure.myarbonne.com, and Contact Us (at the page bottom). I hope this helps!

I would suggest using All Free & Clear laundry detergent and no fabric softener on your daughter's clothes & bedding. My girl also has food/pet/nut allergies, along with asthma & digestive problems that necessitate a restrictive diet since she turned 1. My daughter, now 4yrs old, drinks Rice Dream rice milk either the plain or vanilla but I usually try to get the enriched kind. I found ricemilk in all the grocery stores, walmart, but found it to be the most cost effective at Costco. Your little girl can live a normal life, its the change you have to get used to. soon it will become 2nd nature. I too make MacNcheese with soy cheese. & I get mozzarella flavored soy cheese at walmart to make homemade pizzas. Probiotics may help too, they can be found at a healthfood store. Once I went to ricemike and tried to switch my girl back to soymilk, it aggravated her eczema. I also use cetaphil cream on her skin, any heavy cream will act as a barrier against outside allergens to help your daughter's skin. I use Aveeno baby products for bath and aveeno baby sunscreen. Also my girl likes to drink peppermint tea, and water. Peppermint tea is naturally decaffinated. I would also like to suggest seeing a nutritionist. There is also a wonderful pancake mix, I think the brandname is Arrowhead Mills or something like that blue & red bag. Its egg free and I like the taste, I think I found it at an Albertson's grocery store and at health food stores.

There are a lot of options, especially since she can have wheat. I'd stick to normal breads and pastas, but read labels. I had a bread maker and made my own. Very cheap, and I knew exactly what was in it. Zyrtec never worked for our son. He does great with Allegra. We also use Nasonex as he was snoring. For swimming, we rinse completely as soon as possible and then bathe 10-15 minutes at home. We do the daily baths with Vanicream after towel drying. Chlorine is the worst for his skin. We prefer almost any water other treatment for the eczema. It does seem to take a treatment of steroids ever so often after swimming, but we haven't had to do that in a while. It does seem to get better with age. There are alternatives to PB&J. Almond butter, sunflower butter, etc., so she would still be able to have that. We did a lot of red sauce. Is it a cow milk allergy? It goat's milk is okay, you could still make her mac and cheese with that. We always use Paba free sunscreen. Colorscience has some nice sunscreens. They're really expensive, but we're happy with them for the needs we have (other than allergies). Hope thise helps. At your daughter's age, my son was also "allergic to the world", as we used to say. He now leads a normal life with no food allergies, although he does still have sensitivities. Are you seeing an allergist, or someone who's done some training? We got much better help when we went to National Jewish as opposed to our small town doctor with some allergy training.

I know that you have already gotten tons of great advice but I figured I'd add mine anyways...haha! My youngest son was diagnosed with egg, soy, dairy and peanut allergies when he was two. It was a horrible time for me. I completely removed peanut butter from the home and became a very avid label reader. I found that Fred Meyer has a ton of great affordable products. He really liked rice milk and goats milk and did well with both. They also have some rice pastas. You are lucky that she can have soy because that is one of the hardest ones to avoid! I always cooked a meat and vegetable that we could all eat and then if I made pasta for the reast of the family I would make a special side for him that he could eat. Anyways, I had him retested about six months ago and he has outgrown all of his food allergies...even the peanuts that they said he never would!!! Good luck, I know you have a difficult journey ahead but it does get easier with time.

Dear H.,
Wow! you must feel that you are on information overload and also be feeling frustrated. These sensitivities are tricky and hard to deal with. One of my sons was also diagnosed with environmental illnesses, multiple allergies and was, for some time, a universal reactor. Here's what we found worked: filtered water (no chlorine on the inside, minimal on the outside); probiotics; simple rotational diet (which I found drove me crazy to first compose, but it helped him immensely...from that initial hair-pulling investment of time we were able to more clearly find out what worked food-wise and come up with a more consistent diet); a lovely acupuncturist who worked with moxa sticks to help him build up the healing energies in his body, particularly in his digestive tract; air purifier; cleaned house (meaning natural fibers, woods that he wasn't allergic to, no wall-to-wall rugs, etc.). If your daughter can tolerate sunflower seeds, there is Sun Butter made from those seeds. She could have that with jelly. Also, Mac N Cheese becomes rice noodles with soy cheese. Sun hats, umbrellas and the clothing will have to substitute for Sunscreen for awhile. The Body Ecology Diet developed by Donna Gates is a great diet. Donna also has available information about her diet, support products, and healing on her web site. There is actually a lot of information available currently and many food products for different types of allergies. Best of luck to you and your family. Your daughter will so appreciate all you do. (Also, my son is able to eat almost everything now. Just stays away from cow dairy and some citrus)

My sister's children had lots of allergies. The best thing she ever did was chiropractic. It is amazing. I can testify myself because once when no doctor could explain my daughter's illness I happened to go to my chiropracter myself and desperately asked him if he could help. Within minutes of an adjustment, her high fever disappeared and by the time we got home she was well. A chiropracter has helped my sister's son with bedwetting and has eliminated his wheat, tomato, soy, dairy, and corn allergies. Her daughter can tolerate wheat and sun now in small amounts so it works differently with each child. I'd get a one piece long sleeve/pant wet suit, try the Swim and Run shop on Fairview or online http://www.triplejsportswear.com/Kids/New-in-Kids/Boys-To... and get swim socks. They even have gloves if you want to go that far. That should help with both exposure to sun and water at Roaring Springs. My daughter and I eat gluten free and to be honest once you get used to a special diet, it's not that bad. There are lots of foods available for a better price than the specialty shops in the health food department at Fred Meyer and lots of recipes at www.allrecipes.com. Get your boys involved with your new adventure and I bet you will all not only start to enjoy trying new foods but find some favorites that your whole family can enjoy.

1 / 3