19 Month Old Who Complains of Head Pain/headaches.

I have a 19 month old daughter who has been saying ouchie and rubbing her head for the last week. She does it in the mornings after she wakes up until around lunchtime. We went to the Pediatrician and he suggested watching it for the next week and if it continues we should have a CAT scan done. With no other symptoms he was pretty confident that it wasn't anything to be too worried about. But, he did state that brain tumors in toddlers will present headache symptoms first thing in the morning but they will typically have other symptoms such as lethargy, vomiting, change in behavior, etc. Has anyone else dealt with headaches in their toddlers?

Chiropractic. Even if there are other things as well, it will help alleviate some of her discomfort. It's not going to cover up any bigger problems. Her body is already sending messages that there is something wrong, it's just that sometimes the signals get crossed when things are not in alignment.

I had one that would get migraines, but they presented as stomach problems, not head-aches. They would start in the morning and last until about noon. He would throw-up two or three times.

I'm sorry to hear that! I agree with getting her eyes checked, but you may also want to have her see a chiropractor. My 18 month old daughter has seen a chiropractor a few times and it helped her a lot! She had an issue where her left arm couldn't go up as much as her right arm. My 11 year old son also has seen one and that has helped his headaches tremendously.
If it were me, I'd be trying anything before putting the little one through a CAT scan. Good luck and I sure hope its something small and nothing like a tumor!

J. - Sorry, I don't have any direct experience in this area. But I do have a recommendation for you. While I would continue to follow your medical doctor's advice and have the CAT scan done if he recommends it, you might also want to consider chiropractic care. Being born is one of the hardest events on our body. Most of us are misaligned from the very beginning. As a matter of fact, they are finding that the majority of children diagnosed with ADD or ADHD have no curviture in their neck. Chiropractic care can make a difference for so many "normal" illnesses that we suffer from. There are great pediatric chiropractors out there and I know of two - one in the Prior Lake area and one in the Lakeville area.

If you need more information, let me know.

Definitely check out the eye doctor before spending the time,(scary for kids) energy, and money on a CT scan. It could be something so simple as changing eyes.

Believe it or not, sinus infections are pretty common and not very often diagnosed in little ones. My son has allergies and his stuffiness never seemed to clear up. It wasn't until we saw an allergist that we ever heard he had a sinus infection and he had had it a LONG time. Pediatrician never caught it. The CT Scan was the only way to know for sure in a young child. That can cause bad headaches.
You don't have to have one with allergies to get a S.I., though - even a bad cold can trigger it. Don't worry too soon. Good luck!

I have an 8 year old boy that suffers from migraines which started while he was very young. It is more rare for the little ones to have migraines but it is possible. We also had the cat scan and mri's done to rule out tumors. He is on a daily medicine to help prevent them and then we have special medication if he has one. I would not ignore this at all and have it checked out. I would suggest the sooner the better to get some relief for your little one. Hope this helps

I'm sorry to hear about your little one. I'm sure you guys are pretty nervous right now. I havent' dealt with this myself but the first thing I thought was to have her eyes checked. My husbands cousin had a little one that was put into eye glasses when she was very young (i think around 2 or 3). My dad said that was in glasses by the time he was 5. I'd go ahead with what your pediatrician said but i would also schedule an eye exam this week (if you can get in that soon!). And if it turns out to be her eyes...everyone thought cousin's daughter wouldn't wear the glasses but she did...she could see perfectly and her head didn't hurt anymore! :) Good luck and let us know what happens. L.

It is possible that he has migranes. I got them as a very young child. I used to tell my mom that I had a stomach ache in my head.

Try a chiropracter before you go get a CT. If you can find one who deals in nutrition as well as structural issues it would be better. Food sentitivities can casue headaches & migranes along with being out of alignment. It is a much less invaisve way to start & if you do find that food alergies are a problem you may be able to prevent other ailments over her childhood.

good luck.

1 / 3