19-Month Old Is "Pigeon-toed" - Any Advice?

Hello ladies...I'm looking for some advice. I have a 19-month old boy who is what I call "pigeon-toed" (his feet turn in). He's been walking since he turned one, so obviously it hasn't slowed him down, but I feel like it really trips him up sometimes. He'll be walking along and then just fall down. My pediatrician is obviously aware of it and doesn't seem concerned. His advice was "don't let anyone talk you into expensive shoes - plenty of great athletes were born with this condition". He doesn't feel there's anything that we should be doing. I totally trust my dr. and am planning to discuss it with him again at our next appointment to be sure he still feels the same way. But in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of thing and what, if anything, they did to correct it. Thanks in advance!

My best friend since the 5th grade walked "pigeon-toed" (that's when I learned the expression) and still does now. She always wore just regular nice shoes, and is just fine. By the way, we're both 62!

My 2nd daughter was bow legged and when she was 16 months old we packed her up to the orthopedic specialist, had her xrayed, fitted with special shoes to help aline her legs correctly and a special brace to go on her feet at night while she slept to aline her legs correctly. It was a nightmare. She couldn't roll over at night so she woke crying 5-10 times every night. The shoes hurt her feet so she didn't want to walk at all. After 2 months we went back to see the orthopedic guy again and he said, "Well if you take everything off the problem will probably correct itself anyways. A lot of children are bow legged when they are young." $400 poorer we took everything off her and by the time she was 3 her legs were straight.

So my advice would be to listen to your doctor.

Hi D., I have experienced the same thing with my son. We were overly concerned b/c I was pigoned-toed when born and wore casts for a month of so, but moreso b/c my brother was born w/ club feet (they were backwards and had to be surgically turned followed by years of casts and braces). I decieded to take my son to a children podiotrist (sp? aka foot doctor). We took him when he was about 14-15 months and again when he was about 27 months. The first time they wanted him to continue to grow and see how they did. They second time they did x-rays and ultimately determined that the bones in his legs were slightly twisted. There recommendation was to let it go as he didn't have any problems walking or running. They just said he would be more likely to fall more that most kids his age, but he'd eventally learn to adjust for the turn it and probably "run faster" than most kids. Basically, trying to "do something" to correct this would cause him more harm than good.

He'll be 3 next month and we have already noticed that his feet don't seem to turn-in as bad as they did a year ago. Also, he doesn't seem to get tripped-up as often.

I agree that your son will probably outgrow or adapt to it. But if it really concerns you, take him to a specialist to make sure. I just felt like if there was an issue, the time to fix it would be while he's young and growning so fast, not when it begins to interfer with his day to day activities. In any case, good luck!!

Hi, my oldest daughter, now 17, had close to the same problem, she had it more on her left foot, and little on her right. My pediatrician sent us to a podiatrist who perscribed corrective shoes, with wedges to correct the problem. They were the old fashioned hard soled black and white shoes, and they were expensive!! I was told to go back and buy a second pair when she grew out of those, but I never went back. Our insurance didn't cover the shoes, and I just couldnt afford another pair.
Now, her feet are straight. Her feet have been straight for a long while, she grew out of it quite well. She did and still does have problems walking without tripping, but she's just a clumsy girl who trips herself going UPstairs!!lol
I suggest trying to keep shoes on as much as possible, or ask your dr about a podiatrist, they may have something cheaper or easier to get, like maybe wedges you can put inside normal shoes, or maybe something for arch support???

I would definitely have your son checked with an orthopedic doctor. If there is a Shriner's hospital near you, then I would have them check it out.
This could cause him hip or knee or back problems later in life, it can be painful. It's better to have it checked and corrected if needed now than to wait till he's older.

Here is the Shriner's website:
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/

You can check to see if you are close to one. I know there is one in Erie, PA there is also one in Philadelphia, PA. Shriner's also doesn't charge anything for any of their services.

Good luck, I hope you get his legs fixed without any trouble.

Just yesterday the doctor told my daughter that her 18 month old daughter was bow-legged. He said at this point do nothing. She was perfectly healthy and clumsiness was expected in toddlers as they are just learning to do things. It should correct itself. It shouldn't get worse and if it did... worry about it then. I found your question and read some of the answers and I found all of them very reassuring.

One of my foster boys was pigeon toed and the social services doctor said it wasnt a problem and nothing was done. 7 years later I adopted this boy and by then he was an excellent athlete and I had forgotten about his feet. In high school he excelled in long distance track, soccer and gymnastics. He is now a dad to 2 adorable kids that walk exactly like him. I know there are lifts or shoes that claim to correct the condition, but I'm not sure if I would do anything.

I would get him to an orthopedist soon. A little boy I
used to babysit for was pigeon toed. Pediatrician said
to Mom don't worry. Well at 2 years old he was put in
shoes with the bar. I don't think I have to tell you
what life was like for everyone in that house. Good
luck and if you feel there is a problem, there usually
is.

1 / 3