18 Month Old with a Nasty Cough

My daughter is 18 months old and she has a cough and runny nose. She's to young for cold medicine, her doctor won't give her anything. I have done vapor baths and used vicks and have been keeping her warm but what else should I try? I have two other children a home and they all seem to have it but my other two are old enough for cough medicine but what should I do for the baby? I hate having her feel bad because of her cough. She will barely eat as well she only wants pudding and mac and cheese and I think it's because her throat hurts from all the coughing. What do you think? Am I doing the right thing?

Awe, it's tough when they are sick. The younger they are the more miserable they seem to be. What really stops coughing is putting vick's vapo rub on their feet and covering them with socks. I know it sounds crazy but trust me, it does work! Hope you are all feeling better soon!

Two remedies for you:

Put Vicks Vaporub on the soles of her feet. Cover up with 1-2 pair of socks. This works beautifully for us, esp. at night.

Raw honey (try Trader Joe's) is also great for coughs - try a teaspoon or two.

Also, dairy can make coughs worse.

Best wishes!

try dissolving 4 tbs honey and 1-2 tsp lemon in 1/4 cup warm water. It should soothe her throat

Two remedies for you:

Also, dairy can make coughs worse.

Best wishes!

C., there is a homeopathic cough syrup with Honey made by Hyland's that is for children ages 1-12. They also make little homeopathic tablets that help with cold symptoms. I would recommend you go to Sprouts or Whole Foods and ask someone in the homeopathic medicine department - they are always very helpful. For her runny nose, putting saline solution and then suctioning really helps. It's difficult to get them to allow you to do it, but the benefits are worth it for everyone. I would also recommend a humidifier on for naps and nighttime. Good luck!

We use a cool mist vaporizer at night and naptime. It seems to help. Also, nasal saline helps clear the nose. I've had limited success with a spoonful of honey (since your baby is past 1 yr)to calm a cough. Hang in there. Feed the child whatever she will eat even if it's not the most nutritious, whatever fluid she will take and try to rest as much as you can so you can stay healthy. R., midwife mom of 2

I know this may sound weird, but I did it everytime for both my daughters and it always worked. In a bowl all water and sliced onions. Put in under her bed.

I put a cool mist humidifier in my daughters room and the vicks plugs-ins for kids. Hope she feels better soon.

I am so sorry you little one feels so bad!! I have an 18 month old who just got over the same symptoms. We use a cold vaporizor in his bedroom. That seems to really help the cough. Suck those boogers out!!!!!! That is really important.Our pediatrician advised us to use children's Benadryl. 1/4 tsp every 4 hours. Hope she feels better.

1 / 3