18 Month Old Not Walking

Hi Ladies. Okay, so my 18 month old is not yet walking on her own. She'll cruise all around the house holding on to furniture and walls, she'll walk holding on to our hands. She'll even take a few steps unassisted, but that's it! Just last week she figured out how to stand up on her own (no holding on to mommy, daddy or furniture) and sit down from standing. So now,if she doesn't want to walk (which is most of the time) she just sits down. She crawls great (its amazing how much ground they can cover on all fours isn't it?) but was a late crawler too (she crawled at 14 months). We took her to a PT when she was 12 mo and not crawling and they said there was nothing wrong with her - just maybe some muscle weakness. Anyone have any experience with a late walker? What can I do to encourage my little one to walk? She will not push a push toy or pull a pull toy - tried that already :-). Any other ideas?

Thanks in Advance!

I just wanted to say thank you so much for all of your responses. This is great advice (especially the part about not stressing about it - I'm gonna do my best :-) and I can't tell you how comforting to know that there have been and are lots of kids out there who didn't walk until 18, 20, 22+ months and turned out just fine. I'm going to try all of the tactics mentioned - with a lot of love and patience and chillin out too :-). Thanks everyone!

I know how you feel my little one didn't walk until after 18 months. Mine wouldn't use any of the push/pull toys nor would she cruise. I had her in PT for 2 1/2 months and I think it came down to will. She wasn't ready and didn't want to. It is so frustrating listening to all the comments you get both positive and negative. I remember them all.

The best advice and knowledge we learned from PT was working on up and down skills. Toys/games that build and strengthen the muscles in their legs. Find a toy or game that makes them bend/squat then stand back up. Picking a ball up off the ground and putting it in something up high. I think this really helped. Also don't let them sit in the W position with their legs behind them. This is bad on their hips and will effect growth eventually. Good Luck!

My little man chose to not walk until he was 22 motnhs old. When he finally started walking he started running and jumping within 2 months. He just plain old wasn't interested. He rolled everywhere for a long time and also started crawling late. He was just a very laid back baby and wasn't worried about getting around. He is an incredible talker and I believe he was just concentrating on things a bit backwards from most kids.

Don't worry, she will walk and then be ready cause she won't ever slow down! lol

Hi J., I know what you are going through, both of my children started walking and crawling late. My Daughter started right before she turned 2 and it was so frustrating but when she was ready she took off.I took her to PT as well and they said everything was fine so they showed me a few things to do with her. I sat on the floor with my brother at one end and we had her walk to us and then I slowly moved back so that way she had to walk farther and we just kept doing that til she felt like she could do it on her own, it took a little while but we kept doing it everyday. Then on Mothers Day she took off walking on her own, it was the best Mothers Day gift ever. Dont give up some kids just arent ready when we are so they do it when they want. Just keep on trying. Good Luck and God Bless.

E.

My daughter (who was the oldest) wasn't walking on her own at 18 months also. I remember worrying about it. I did encourage her. Now that she is an adult it seems like such a small thing. One thing about my daughter was that she was having ear infections and I believe that affected her sense of balance. How is your daughters inner ears?
With my whole heart,

Have you tried a walker (maybe the old kind that used to actually walk around) or something like a johhny jump up to help make her legs stronger, or maybe get one of those little ride around toys that they sit on and use their legs to push themselves around. I didn't have issues with a late walker, but those things might strengthen her muscles and encourage her to walk.

My 19mth old just started walking. She didnt crawl until she was almost 11mths and started pulling up around 1 yr. At 18mth she started taking a few steps when motivated but still didnt seem very interested. I made an appt with BabyNet to get her free PT but within a week- she started walking all over the place. I canceled her appt. and now 2 wks later, she is like a professional. I was really worried something was wrong but she did it when she was ready. Its amazing how fast she started walking and actually got good at it. She can already pick up something off the floor and start going again. I know how it feels to wonder when and if it will happen but it had to be on her terms. She is a very vocal child, saying over 50 words, and her dr. said toddlers who tend to be more vocal are less physical in these months. Hope this helps others in my recent situation!!

You are her mother. Your instincts are far more valuable than any doctors opinion because you observe your daughter on a daily basis and are in a position to notice even the minutest change in her behavior. If there is nothing that has changed in her behavior to give you alarm then you should not worry yourself over how she develops. Every child develops differently and at different times. I have four children and all have been very different in what they develop and when. You should not expect your child to develop according to a percentile average based on accumulated research from thousands of children. Your daughter is sound of mind and body. When was the last time you heard about a child as such not learning to walk, crawl, stand, sit, talk, roll over, read or grow in any other physical or mental way? Give your child time and enjoy the stages she is going through as she goes through them no matter what age she is at. If you spend all of your time worrying, because she is not developing according to what the doctor says she should be, you will miss a lot of the many enjoyable moments that will pass as she develops -- and once they are gone they don't come back. Enjoy your daughter. Enjoy your motherhood. It all passes so quickly, don't leave yourself wishing you could go back and change it when she is older because you missed what was happening then due to worry and anxiety.

Hello! I understand what you are going through. My oldest was the same way. She didn't even get up and think about crawling until after she was 1 and as for walking, HAH. That took forever. We tried every advice we got and even had a doctor tell me it was my fault for carrying her around to much. Thing was I didn't hardly carry her around I was too pregnant with my second child and couldn't without causing me pain. She eventually did do it on her own. But like with everything she is gonna take her own sweet time. I basically kept encouraging her and rewarding her with praise every time she tried even a little bit. It didn't make her walk any faster that I know of but it sure helped me at times :) I hope this helps :)
P.S. She is 5 years old now and walks, jumps and runs just fine

1 / 3