18 Month Old Constipated

My son is 18 months old and is really constipated today. Yesterday his bowl movements were fine. I gave him some apple juice and apple sauce today...but so far no help. It hurt him so much he's started to cry when he tries to go. We just tried a few different ways to help him go, but no luck. He's never really ben constiated before. What can I give him to help him go...it seems to be getting stuck...or he doesn't want to give that extra push or something.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Just after I wrote this he was able to finish "going" I will keep all this in mind though, in case it happens again. For some reason, I thought apples and apple juice was not constipating, but it's good to know I was wrong. We tried some prune juice last night, just to try to make it so he's not constipated today, but he didn't like the flavor...so I'll have to try mixing it with another juice maybe.

Thanks for the great info.

Apples and bananas will make the problem worse. Try fruit like grapes, raisens, berries etc. Also try getting to drink some water. If you really need it put some prune juice with water and give him that.

good luck.

Prunes, prune juice or raisons have been very effective for me. The prune juice has an extra oomph.

Prunes have always worked for my kids - they really like the taste. There are some "bite sized" prunes available in the baking aisle.

Regular prunes taste a LOT better than prune juice, so don't be afraid to try them. They work so well that I have to limit my kids to one or two a day, which makes them seem like a treat when they're allowed to have them.

Apples are actually constipating, try giving him some prune or plum juice. You could also try raisons or whole grain or high in fiber.

My daughter had issues with constipation and we ended up getting a prescription to help soften her stools. It sounds like this isn't on going so I'd suggest staying away from apples and banannas as they are constipating. Fruits the start with P's are not constipating and won't bind the stools. Beans are also good. Increase wheat as well. Good luck.

Have you tried any prune juice, this is usually effective after a couple servings.
good luck

Pear juice! Gerber makes it....works way better than apple.

My son was constipated from the time he was 6 months until age 4 1/2. If this continues to be a problem TRY CHIROPRACTIC!!!!!!! We tried EVERYTHING (from diet changes to medications, they did colon tests on him, and I tried all kinds of natural remedies). And, after four years, Chiropractic worked!!

My kids oranges works wonders! I keep some of the canned ones on hand as the fresh ones aren't always around when we need some. My daughter was in the ER 2 months ago, ended up only constipated. They said apple juice and a pediatric laxative. That can be found over the counter at Walmart and says pediatric on it. We have a bottle on hand now but also keep canned oranges on hand. Prunes we tried and she didn't like the taste.
S. (29 yrs old, mom to 5)

Hi T.

I have a little girl who is 13 months old who has a problem with constipation. I was told by my pediatrician that apple sauce does and apple juice don't help with constipation as much as you would think. My little gal drinks prune apple juice which helps, and I try to get her to eat as much fruit as she can. Also, make sure your little guy is getting enough water to drink. Recently I tried re-fried beans for her and she loved them.

When she has had trouble with her stool being stuck I have helped her out by stimulating her rectum with a rectal thermometer. She hates it but sometimes I have to.

I would suggest also that you speak with your pediatrician about this matter, they have great advice on diet and may even be able to suggest some sort of medication.

1 / 3