18 Month Old Boy Humping Toys for HOURS If Allowed. What Do I Do?

Hi moms. I have an 18 month old boy who recently discovered humping. Several times a day he just grabs a toy, jumps on the couch and starts humping it. If I catch him in the first a few seconds, I might be lucky enough to be able to temporarily distract him by taking him away and starting to play with his toys or something. But if I'm in the middle of something and it takes me even a minute before I get to him, then it's a nightmare. I literally have to tear him away from the couch and listen to him throw a tantrum, and kick and scream his little head off. If I just ignore it, which I've had to do on occasion, he just stays on the couch humping away for up to 2 hours! The reason I ignored him those couple of times was to see how long he will do this for. If it was going to be for a few minutes, I was willing to let it go.... but 1.5 hours and almost 2 hours was just insane and during that time it was just impossible to get him to stop.
Anyway, please let me know if you've encountered this and what you did. I'm about to loose my mind. I feel like I have to spend every second next to him otherwise he just runs to the couch and gets started again.
Thank you for your time and advice.
Frustrated Mom,

I too, wouldn't worry. They like the sensation/feeling and I think it's pretty natural. You could just start taking him to his room with his "lovey" and allow him some time in private. He is awful little and I am not sure the "touching yourself is okay, just in private" conversation will work for him just yet...untill then, I say remove him to his room and don't worry.

My 4 yr old discovered himself last year and his hands are always on that thing...like he's gonna loose it or something:)

S.-
My son used to do it too... at the same age as your son. The daycare got really upset about it. He used to do it before nap time. It is just a self-stimulating behavior that feels good (or in you son's case...really, really good.) ;-) I just sat my son down and told him that if he wanted to do it, he had to go to his room and that he couldn't do it at daycare (or many other places.) I'm sure it took more than one time, I just don't remember how many times. He got the idea after I would move him from my bed, the living room floor, etc when I would catch him. It took several years for the behavior to stop, now he's 11. I can't wait for the next step :-p

I would visit the doctor and ask about it. Maybe it's a hormonal imbalance or something.

Be patient. I have a little 4 year old boy who loves to touch himself, and has for a while. At your son's age, they do things for a rise and they know what pushes your buttons so they do it. The bigger the reaction...the more they do it. From the age of 2-5 they are exploring themselves, and what he's doing feels good to him. But boys love touching themselves and believe me even when they get older it doesn't stop. Don't discourage him and make him feel like what he's doing is perverted or unnatural. He's only doing it for the sensation and your reaction, not because he knows what it really means.

My son still touches himself and spends fair amounts of time doing it...I tell him to go to his room and in public we move his hands away. It's just a natural part of their development. I wouldn't worry.

I would talk to your pediatrician. It definitely could be a reaction after sexual molestation. But it could also just be a normal phase. Don't freak out, but keep an eye on things. Is he talking much? The pediatrician might be able to help you have a conversation with him about if anyone has ever touched him. Please don't panic, just do what you can to rule out any huge issue.

I have a friend who's 4 year old has been doing this since she was 2. her hands stuffed animals, her pediatrician said it be sign of sexual molestation
come to find out (it wasn't proven) that her dads friend may have done it. That's what the child implied. J. L

1 / 3