17 Month Old Toddler That Will Not Drink Milk from a Sippy Cup

Need help we tried all different types of sippy cups, using regular cups etc. But our son will not drink milk from a sippy cup or a cup only a bottle. We are trying to wean him off the bottle.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

I wanted to thank everyone for their great advice.

Update!

Matthew is off his bottle. He however he is still not drinking milk from any type of cup or straw etc. We are not giving up hope as I am sure in a couple more days he will realize that the bottles are gone.

I have started to include snacks with higher levels of calcium. We have discovered he does not like cheese or yogurt. So we are getting creative.

Thanks again.

hi there, I'm not a pro, however my first son was off the bottle by 1. I started putting his milk/formula in his cup, I'd put him in his highchair, place he's cup of milk and a snack (cherrios) in front of him. At first he wasn't having it, but once he realized it was the only way to get the milk, he soon started. I still fed him at night and certain times with the bottle, but I sware it didn't take long.

What worked for me and my 5 kids? Take them off the bottle cold turkey, today. If they get thirsty, they'll drink. It's not going to hurt them to go without milk for a while, or just little amounts. Their bones won't shrivel up, lol. Their teeth won't fall out. It's a battle of wills and your child can already see that he's winning, lol. Give a half vitamin to supplement anything he's missing during the picky eating and drinking stage that lasts a couple years. It may take a week or two, but soon you'll see the milk being drank little by little and more and more. Right before my triplets turned 4, they were still on all sippy cups because I didn't want the mess. They had used open cups and knew how but with 3 kids I didn't want the mess. Well, I finally decided enough was enough and they went to open cups for all 3 meals. Well, they didn't like this and didn't want to drink their milk. Well, Mom took away their juice and they got milk for every drink until they drank their minimum amount a day (24oz), which meant no juice for about a week. They slowly started drinking their milk in open cups cuz they wanted their juice, lol. They drank milk like crazy out of a sippy cup so they liked milk. They were just hooked on their sippy cups. Now they drink their milk at each meal and get their juice at morning and afternoon snack times. Sometimes you just have to play tough love.

K. B
mom to 5 including triplets

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarrisburgPAChat
Chat and Events, within 2 hour radius

I would try the straw trick too- as they say, you're child won't go hungry or thirsty over a bottle.

Take them to a store with the whole premise of getting their "big boy/girl" cup. Allow your child to choose one or two and start putting their drinks in them. A lot of times putting ownership on the child makes them feel like they have had a say (illusion of control) and often times this is all kids need to make the switch.

Don't give up with the regular cup. There were times when we were weaning our daughter that were very frustrating (especially since she seemed to take it so easily from my parents when they were visiting). During dinner times she had to drink from the cup, before naps and bedtime she got her bottle, eventually we worked on cutting one bottle. For a week, no bottle before her am nap, the next week we got rid of another, then another until she was solely on the cup. I know it's frustrating, but as all things in toddlerhood, this too shall pass:) Good luck!

My son likes the Nuby cups. We used the regular sippy cup at first and now use the straw version. There are 8 oz cups with straws and some larger ones, too. If you want to try the straw, just keep trying til he gets it. It's sort of hard to suck out of until you get the hang of it. Good luck!

My daughter is the same way. She is almost 17 months old and refuses a sippy cup. But, she does drink from a cup that has a straw. You can pick these up at Target or Walmart or basically anywhere. They are wonderful and they are spill proof, too.

Hi R.,

My girls were breastfed, then went to a Playtex sippy cup. My 6 yo didn't drink milk until about age 4, and my 2 yo will only take a sip or 2 from ANY cup. So, for kids who don't like milk or don't like sippy cups of milk, you can give whole milk organic yogurt, tofu and cheddar cheese. All are rich in calcium. The goal should be to have him get his daily allowance of calcium (600-800mg), and not stress over the milk in a cup. Definitely try the straw, or a "Nuby" brand cup. Meanwhile try 1/2 cup yogurt at 2 meals plus bits of cheese at meal time or for snacks. You can ask your ped about other strategies for getting calcium into the diet as well.

a few of my kids went from breastfeeding to a drink container with a straw. no bottle, no cup.
http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/images/product/3117_...

ugh. good luck.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

bottles weaning