16 Month Old with Cough and Congestion Every Night

hello, My 16 month old son does not sleep well at night, he wakes up about every half an hour because he is coughing, and gets really congested, and its only at night, he is completely fine during the day, I've taken him to the ped and he says its a cold or allergies, but its been going on for at least 6 months. Should i take him to an ent doctor? Has anyone else have this situation, or been in this situation that can give me any advice? Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone for all the responses, i am taking him to the doctors on tuesday. So hopefully they will find the problem and help him sleep better! I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again

My daughter is 20 months and had the same problem. She just had her tonsils and adnoids out and it has made all the difference in the world. She sleeps through the night and no more coughing or snooring.

Yes take him to a ent ears nose and throat doctor my son was like that from the age of 2months to the age of 2yrs...the ped said he was asthmatic and so did the pulmonologics...things got worst took him to a ent and it was his tonsils and adnoids...took those out and no more asthma...no more heavy breathing no more congestion..it's worth a try A LITTLE ABOUT ME WORKING MOM...MOTHER OF 5...AGES 26,15,13,11,9

Have you tried using saline spray? My daughter gets congested when she sleeps and snores really bad. The doctor gave me rhinocart to help her and it worked really well, but after that ran out I just got her the saline spray from the grocery store and it works just as well. You may want to try that.

If he's only having trouble at night there is a trigger. There may be something in his room or maybe even the laundry detergent that is causing a problem. If you bleach your sheets, stop. Chlorine bleach was invented by our military to do neurological and respiratory damage. WE dilute it down and say we're killing germs. Remove any synthetic chemicals from his room. I'm sure that will help him a lot. I detoxed my house and have not had ONE sniffle since. My daughter began sleeping through the night immediately. She was seven! :)

If this problem has been going on 6 months and only at night it is NOT a cold. And "allergies" don't just appear at night and go away in the day time. Medicines won't help, they will just complicate the problem. You need to remove the stimuli. That will also build his immune system. If you think you want to try this, let me know and I can walk you through even removing residues that continue to outgas.

Regards,

Do you have a nebulizer? Colloidal silver in the nebulizer is wonderful! I did that with my 2yo when she was your little ones age. (I actually took colloidal silver when I had Pneumonia and got rid of it.)

You can get colloidal silver from a local health food store (I get mine at www.compassconcepts.com) I would use about 20ppm.

Another thing is using Eucalyptus oil (someone mentioned the baby vapor rub...this is the oil that is in there). Rub on feet and chest. It's GREAT for congestion too. I would do it at least once a day, twice if you can remember.

Another thing that I do for congestion due to allergies, colds, asthma, etc., lots of stuff is 'Lung and Bronchial' formula. You can get the extract from www.herbsfirst.com. It's awesome and we are never without it.

Make sure you go back to your pediatrician and get referrals. They will make sure your son is correctly diagnosed before putting him on medicines. My son had similar problems and was diagnosed with 'general allergies'. He takes Rynatan and is much better.

You may try taking him off cow's milk, change to rice milk or almond milk. If you want to get more fat for him, add cod liver oil to the milk. Often, a milk intolerance will cause these congestive type reactions. Won't hurt to try, you will know if you get in benefit in two weeks or so. Best of luck, J.

My daughter had/has this problem. Her ped told us that it is her sinus draining, so I should give a little bit of childrens Benadryl before bed to help dry this post nasal drip. Of course this helped my daughter. If I were you I would call the advise nurse at the ped office and tell her/him the problem again.

Best of luck!

Make an appt with a pediatric pulmonologist. This is a lung doctor. He may have asthma. Coughing (especially at night) for prolonged periods of time is just as suggestive of asthma as wheezing. I have twin boys: 1 has wheezing and 1 has night time coughing...BOTH have asthma. We've been on Singular, Zyrtec and Flovent. No wheezing and coughing for MONTHS.

1 / 3