16 Month Old Has Stuffy Nose for Two Months

My 16 month old LO has had a stuffy nose for two months now. We use cold air mist humidifier, saline nose drops...but it still persists. Is this normal? Any thoughts or advice? Thank you in advance.

My daughter had a stuffy nose all the time. Also, she scratched her whole body until it was bloody. I stopped the milk and she has stopped itching and her stuffy nose cleared up somewhat. I took her to the doctor before for this and the doctor said she wasn't sick and that it might be allergies. I'm thinking that it might be the milk. Stop the milk and see what happens, it did it for me.

For my son that meant food intolerance.

As another mom said, think about dairy. However, at my house I do not allow much soy for my sons (research soy's possible effect on males).

I also sought the advice of a nutritionist to make sure I was getting the right amount of nutrients for a growing child.

HI Jilly,

Food allergies, especially milk can cause stuffy noses. Stuffy noses and other issues like this will not exist if your little one's immune system is working right. First, I would remove the milk as the stimulus but I would also try to build his immune system. Immune systems are usually compromised by either not getting enough nutrition or the nutrition not absorbing properly.

Synthetic chemicals in the diet, ie preservatives, pesticides, processing, antibiotics, hormones, etc can contraindicate and break down the immune system. Also, the synthetic chemicals in your home can also do it. Little ones breath twice as fast and inhale twice as many toxins. Chemicals in laundry supplies, even if rinsed well, can be absorbed through the skin. www.go2harmony.healthyhometour.com is a website you can go to and see if your home is safe for a little one.

Regards,

PS I just read that you were still breastfeeding your little one. Are you still taking your prenatal? An absorbable multivitamin for you will help him as well.

My son had a stuffy nose on and off for about a year. He is 28 months old now. He also had chronic ear infections. I took him to an ENT and they did an x-ray of his adenoids. Turned out that they were very enlarged. In December we had his ear tubes put in and his adenoids removed. Hasn't been stopped up since. This is a common problem with toddlers. If their adenoids are too large it can cause ear infections and stuffy or runny noses. I'd have it checked into as since our son dealt with it he is still constantly picking/messing with his nose---but it is clear. The doctor says it is a habbit that he learned while he was having issues with his nose.

My first thought is allergies. Ask your pediatrician about that.

My son had a stuffy nose for a while as well. (He was one). One of the moms at my work suggested he could be allergic to milk. We had him tested and everything came back OK, but we decided to try to take him off of all dairy products for a week and see what happens. We ended up keeping him off milk (we substituted with the soy stuff) and giving him only small amounts of cheese. He nose cleared up and he was an all around happier kid. We did this for about a year and then slowly put him back on milk. He is fine now. The MD said that he has seen this often. Sometimes kids just can not fully digest milk yet. Good luck!!!

My son experienced the same thing at around same age as your son, was stuffy for months (but knew wasn't milk as he had milk before stuffiness began). My pediatrician said allergies and prescribed Nasonex and it worked miracles! The stuffiness stopped immediately. After about 4 months on Nasonex we stopped it to see what would happen and luckily the stuffiness hasn't returned (been about a month), which tells me it was seasonal allergies. I have a feeling we'll be back on it later this spring/summer. If you don't want prescription, she also said I could try OTC Claritin allergy as an alternative as its less expensive.

Have you thought about allergies? Sounds like it could be, but you may want to check with the doctor to see if there's an OTC allergy medicine you could try, or something he/she may prescribe. I know medicine is not always the answer and I'm always hesitant to give my kids medicine unless it's necessary, but in this case it may help you get to the root of the cause.

Best of luck figuring it out!

I am almost 52 years old, mother, grandmother, and have been working with children all my life. I use to suffer with stuffy nose, chronic sinusitis, and had five operations. I suffered needlessly for years until I made the following three discoveries, and have not been back to any ENT for ten years. I saw so many ENTs, and some of them washed their hands on my case. I was even sent away, and the doctors told me "I do not know what to do for you anymore". I also took tons of antibiotics, and of course Diflucans for yeast infections that always follow my treatments with high doses of antibiotic. You must first take the baby to an ENT to make sure he/she has no polyps.

1) CUT ALL DAIRY PRODUCTS OUT PERMANENTLY, AND USE SOY.
Soy use to be nasty, but improved a lot. You can use different flavors, or make shakes with fruits like strawberries for flavors. Use soy cheese, and never use milk again. You can try to reintroduce yogurt later, but I discourage it (use soy yogurt). I am a cheese lover, so sometimes I cheat. My nose gets stuffy immediately, and I cannot sleep or cough all night.
2) FLUSH HIS/HER NOSE WITH SALINE SOLUTION 3 X DAY.
You can buy the spray, or the solution at the pharmacy. You can decrease it to once, or twice if there are major improvements. You must never stop it.
3) GET RID OF THE CARPET IN YOUR HOUSE.
If you cannot afford to do it in one shot start with the bab's bedroom first, and gradually get rid of the carpeting. The carpet was also killing me slowly.
Please send me an email at ____@____.com when the baby gets better, and I guarantee you he/she will. God Bless.

contact pediatrics.com whenever you have a health or medical question
regarding your baby, and WebMD for adult questions.

D. P.

Could be the adenoids are enlarged. Have him checked by an ENT (ears, nose, throat specialist) It is VERY common, they sometimes even snore!

The commercial that says immunity begins in the gut is true! Give him one of the yogurts like Activia several times a day. Or a chewable form from the health food store several tlmes a day. Watch for constipation! If a person is badly out of balance yogurt can cause constipation for awhile. Be sure he gets enough fiber such as prunes and veggies.

A study was done in Europe with 2 groups of patients. One was given antibiotics. And the other group was given probiotics(acidophilus, bifidophilus, etc.) every hour and the probiotic group got well faster! The drug companies would never let a study such as that be done in this country.

I have even given probiotics to our cats with great results.
God bless, M.

Diet, diet, diet- it is diet.
Check out Fiengold- he was brilliant and following his do s and don't s will help.
And look at WestonPrice.com- the foundation will tell you the outcome of his extensive research- and then you will have correct data from which to decide.
No of course it isn't normal- and you can do something about it.
best,k

Take him off all dairy. ALso check www.NAET.com and find a provider in your area to treat and eliminate his allergies so he will be able to eat what he wants and not have to be on an elimination diet forever.

Updated