16 Month Old Has Stuffy Nose for Two Months

My 16 month old LO has had a stuffy nose for two months now. We use cold air mist humidifier, saline nose drops...but it still persists. Is this normal? Any thoughts or advice? Thank you in advance.

My daughter had a stuffy nose all the time. Also, she scratched her whole body until it was bloody. I stopped the milk and she has stopped itching and her stuffy nose cleared up somewhat. I took her to the doctor before for this and the doctor said she wasn't sick and that it might be allergies. I'm thinking that it might be the milk. Stop the milk and see what happens, it did it for me.

For my son that meant food intolerance.

As another mom said, think about dairy. However, at my house I do not allow much soy for my sons (research soy's possible effect on males).

I also sought the advice of a nutritionist to make sure I was getting the right amount of nutrients for a growing child.

HI Jilly,

Food allergies, especially milk can cause stuffy noses. Stuffy noses and other issues like this will not exist if your little one's immune system is working right. First, I would remove the milk as the stimulus but I would also try to build his immune system. Immune systems are usually compromised by either not getting enough nutrition or the nutrition not absorbing properly.

Synthetic chemicals in the diet, ie preservatives, pesticides, processing, antibiotics, hormones, etc can contraindicate and break down the immune system. Also, the synthetic chemicals in your home can also do it. Little ones breath twice as fast and inhale twice as many toxins. Chemicals in laundry supplies, even if rinsed well, can be absorbed through the skin. www.go2harmony.healthyhometour.com is a website you can go to and see if your home is safe for a little one.

Regards,

PS I just read that you were still breastfeeding your little one. Are you still taking your prenatal? An absorbable multivitamin for you will help him as well.

My son had a stuffy nose on and off for about a year. He is 28 months old now. He also had chronic ear infections. I took him to an ENT and they did an x-ray of his adenoids. Turned out that they were very enlarged. In December we had his ear tubes put in and his adenoids removed. Hasn't been stopped up since. This is a common problem with toddlers. If their adenoids are too large it can cause ear infections and stuffy or runny noses. I'd have it checked into as since our son dealt with it he is still constantly picking/messing with his nose---but it is clear. The doctor says it is a habbit that he learned while he was having issues with his nose.

My first thought is allergies. Ask your pediatrician about that.

My son had a stuffy nose for a while as well. (He was one). One of the moms at my work suggested he could be allergic to milk. We had him tested and everything came back OK, but we decided to try to take him off of all dairy products for a week and see what happens. We ended up keeping him off milk (we substituted with the soy stuff) and giving him only small amounts of cheese. He nose cleared up and he was an all around happier kid. We did this for about a year and then slowly put him back on milk. He is fine now. The MD said that he has seen this often. Sometimes kids just can not fully digest milk yet. Good luck!!!

My son experienced the same thing at around same age as your son, was stuffy for months (but knew wasn't milk as he had milk before stuffiness began). My pediatrician said allergies and prescribed Nasonex and it worked miracles! The stuffiness stopped immediately. After about 4 months on Nasonex we stopped it to see what would happen and luckily the stuffiness hasn't returned (been about a month), which tells me it was seasonal allergies. I have a feeling we'll be back on it later this spring/summer. If you don't want prescription, she also said I could try OTC Claritin allergy as an alternative as its less expensive.

Have you thought about allergies? Sounds like it could be, but you may want to check with the doctor to see if there's an OTC allergy medicine you could try, or something he/she may prescribe. I know medicine is not always the answer and I'm always hesitant to give my kids medicine unless it's necessary, but in this case it may help you get to the root of the cause.

Best of luck figuring it out!

1 / 3