16 Month Old Girl Has Thrush?

My 16 month old girl has had a white coating all over her tounge for a few days and I took her to the doctor today and they said it may be thrush, she also has it all over the roof and back of her mouth. The docoter said it was unlikley for a child her age to get this she has been normal before. And it could be a virus. We got a antibotic but I am wondering if anyone else has had a older child get thrush? And any natural cures to help also?

Thank you for all the great advice I am working on all this and will post how it goes thank

First of all an antibiotic, if it is a virus, isn't going to do anything, they only work on bacteria, and if it is thrush it is likely to make it worse given that thrush is yeast. Have you used gentian violet in her mouth? Personally I would take her to see someone other than a doctor who would tell you "it may be thrush or could be a virus so here are some antibiotics". Google thrush and see the most effective ways to get rid of it.

Hey, my pediatrician never prescribed antibiotics for thrush. My girls are 13 months now and haven't had a recurrence. Ask your pharmacist for a bottle of gentian (gen-shun) violet. Dip a Q tip in just to lightly color the tip and then coat the inside of her mouth. You don't need it to be deep purple, but lightly tinted purple with the liquid. It naturally kills the thrush bacteria without shocking your baby's system with antibiotics. Good Luck!

I have to say that I have had thrush twice since being an adult! Just like a kid I got it all over inside of my mouth.
It's rare for anyone that isn't a young baby to get it but it does happen. Both times I got it my immune system was very low due to pneumonia. I always just got a Diflucan from the doctor. One easy pill and its gone!

Hope this helps!

Gentian Violet worked for my baby when he had it. It's messy, but it worked for him, and it's natural (dye from the gentian violet plant). I got it at New Seasons, but Walgreens will special order it for you. Just dip a Q-tip in the liquid, and let your baby suck on it for a couple of seconds. Do this morning and night until the yeast is gone.

Also, acidophilus will help rebalance the bacteria in your baby. You can get it in liquid form or in capsules, but be sure it's the refrigerated kind. Otherwise, it might not really be alive, which is what you want.

I wonder if something in your baby's diet is causing the imbalance of yeast. Dairy, maybe? I know I get yeast when I'm having too much dairy.

Gentian Violet... you might have to ask at the pharmacy if they have it. I have funny pictures of my dd with a purple mouth. All you need is a cotton swab and rub it on her cheeks probably twice a day for up to 4 days and see if it's gone, otherwise it probably wouldn't be thrush.

Also, try to boost her immune system with a children's acidophilus, yogurt or other probiotic.

My middle daughter had the same thing when she was right around 16 months old. she had it off and on for about 1 month before I made her an appointment. some days the shite stuff was on her tounge and other days it did not seem to be so bad. When I made the appointmnet the doctor said it might be thrush but again that it was unusual at her age. she gave me a perscription for NYSTATIN liquid and just in case. I picked up the script but did not give it to my daughter right away because the white goo did not seem so bad. after two days it came back and I gave her the medicine just as perscribed and it cleared right up in about 1 to 2 days. has not been back since. what ever it was did not seem to bother her. I am glad it is gone. good luck with yours. A.

An antibiotic? They didn't take cultures to determine yeast levels? Or coat her mouth? That is so weird! My daughter had it and my doctor said any again can get it. Even adults can though it is rare by then. I would start boiling all the things she uses regularly such as bottles and sippies or pacifiers if you use those. In my case it was so bad I tossed all her bottle nipples and bought new ones.

The purple coating stuff works really well - I just don't know what it called - but it stains like crazy. I made my daughter wear bibs and some of her brothers hand me downs.

Yeah, they can get it at that age. I know they used to paint the inside of my daughter's mouth with "gentian violet." I saw it at the store recently. It turns their mouth a deep purple color, but gets rid of the thrush. Blessings to you and yours! :)

Antibiotics for thrush? That's WRONG! If anything, antibiotics can make it worse, since the natural bacteria that fights the yeast (thrush is simply a yeast infection in the mouth) are killed off by antibiotics. So I'm hoping what you got was Nystatin or some other anti-yeast medication.

Gentian violet is a natural cure for thrush. It works better than Nystatin. The reason people have abandoned it is that it's messy. As the name implies, it's a violet-purple, so it stains the mouth... and anything else it contacts. My youngest and I kept exchanging yeast - she'd get thrush, then I'd get a yeast infection on my nipples, then back to her. The gentian violet cleared us both up within a week, but during that week she had purple lips and I had purple nipples!

You can get info on using gentian violet at http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/gentviol.htm. You can get it at your drugstore, although the pharmacist may have to order it for you.

1 / 3