16 Month Old Frustration

Hi everyone!

My 16 month old son has been showing his frustration lately by hitting his head (smacking it with his own hand, bonking his head on the floor or any other nearby furniture... or even headbutting the dog!). I'm not sure how to help him stop this behavior. I've been redirecting him with distraction because I'm afraid to call too much attention to the behavior and have him do it more. I want him to understand that it's okay to be mad and frustrated, but also show him a better way to express himself. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
-D.

Thank you so much for all of your help! He has almost completely stopped the head smacking thing... we've been ignoring the actual action, but letting him know that we know he feels frustrated. He's still a toddler and I know he's going to get frustrated a lot, so we are just going to keep letting him know that it's okay to be frustrated. The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp is also an awesome avenue for ideas! Thanks again!

My son also hit himself in the head, He grew out of it. Just continue to find things for him to do to distract him from it. Hang in there, it takes time.

Hi! My 15 month old son does the same thing.. except not out of frustration. He just thinks he is being funny.. with no thanks to my 2.5 year old son who finds this extremely hilarious and only eggs him on. My pediatrician says it is fine and not to worry.. just don't give him any reaction and instead distract him with something else.. like a book or a toy to play with.
Maybe we should get together and let our boys play.. they would probably pretend like a couple of rams. Okay.. maybe that wasn't so funny ;-)

First of all kudos to you! Your wonderful boys sound like they keep you busy. My Son does the same thing and it is actually nice to hear that another mother has seen this behavior as well. I do the same you do, I redirect. I have also given him a fun little pop-up punchie thing that he is allowed to hit once if he gets really mad. That way he can release his frustration on a toy and it usually turns his mood around as well! Good Luck!

o wow you have your hands full. My kids are also 16mos apart except they are ages 3 and 4 now! My daughter went through a satge where when she was mad she hit herself. She is my youngest and all I really did was redirect her and not make a big deal. She did outgrow it. he may be have adjustment issues from the new little one. Good LUCK!!

I know someone with a 16 months son and she talks about the few "tantrums" he's had. She tried to console him at first but that makde him worse and he is now starting to headbutt walls. If she tells him not to do something he tries to bite her. Her trick is to remain calm and not shout at him. She just goes on about her business (making sure he's safe) and ignores him. It may just be an attention getting phase. Of course you need to make sure he isn't having some sort of pain that's causing him to do this. If it continues, check with his pediatrician.

What everyone else said is good. The only other thing I would mention is to make sure that your expectations aren't too high thus causing him more frustration. Our first did then when he was that age and started it again when he was 7...we discovered that our expectations were too high and that he needed help articulating his feelings. He was also looking for attention.

I'm writing as a grandma. I would try giving some loving attention to his head. Gentle massages, brushing, etc, with no verbal connection with the head banging. Don't want to make the behavior a way to get good touch. But giving good touch totally separate, at unrelated times, may help him to relate differently to his head.
Just an idea!

My son - who is now 21 months, used to slam his head on the floors. It's frightening, but it's a phase!!! I would just suggest giving some extra 1 on 1 attention at other "happy" times. I always have to remember that when my kids are acting out - they are having a need that isn't being met - and it is usually needing attention from mom or dad.
Good Luck!! As my parents tell me "this too shall pass"

1 / 3