15 Years Old and Wants an American Girl Doll?

my daughter is 15 years old and badly wants an American girl doll isnt she a little old for that stuff? not as a collectable but to play with it worries me

When I was 16 I asked for a cabbage patch doll for Christmas. I really just wanted one to kind of remind me of playing with dolls. LOL
I did not get it because my mom thought I was too old. It did not scar me, but I still remember it. :)

Well if she wants to stay young and innocent I would think thats wonderful. Its better than being a teenage mom.

I don't see why not. We all have different likes and interests. I mean, I know grown men with toy trains. It's something she appears to like, and it's not unhealthy... why not?

I think in this day and age I would be praising the good lord that she's playing with dolls!

I would get it for her!!! I received mine from my husband when we were first married. My daughters now play with her, while playing with their own.

I played with dolls (in private) for a VERY long time. Barbie dolls too! Let her enjoy herself. I hope my girls still want to play with their dolls as they get older.

Be glad! Your battles could be much much worse!

I got a large Pot Belly Bear when my sisters all got a smaller one too (they are 7, 9 and 11 years younger than I am) and I was I think 15 or 16 years old. Not because I was a baby, or because I needed one, but because I (I guess??) just didn't have a "favorite teddy bear" of my own?? Anyway to this day I still have it, and it has been well loved, has a hole in his neck and yes it is a He and his name is Bear. LOL. I used it as a pillow, as a cuddly to rest my arm on when sleeping, not so much to play with or drag all around town.

If she seems mature (age appropriate) and responsible in other areas in her life, ie, academically, friends, etc then really, don't worry. So many teens grow up too fast, many follow because they think it's "cool" or because they think "it's what they're supposed to do" and there are those who just don't see the allure in growing up and are their own persons and prefer to enjoy the fun things in life - isn't playing with a cute doll (that has this whole book line and all that, pretty cool!) better than simpering at boys and putting black clothes and make up on??

Some people are just naturally late bloomers - some physically, some emotionally and some both. My cousin had zero interest in boys, in make up, in being girly, etc when she was a senior in HS. I remember my aunts and mom all talking worriedly about her (I'm a little older than she is) and I thought she was fine (ie, not lesbian) and just a year later, she wore necklaces, dresses, dated, had boyfriends and all that. At 17 she wasn't yet interested, but at 18 she was! (I dont know if she was playing with dolls at 15 but wouldnt surprise me, her sister is 3 years younger and I think they were probably still playing together at 15 & 12? wouldnt surprise me and I wouldnt think it abnormal either.)

I think it is ok for her to want one. She is still young. Besides the American girl doll series also has stories out for the girls to read. Sometimes just having a doll around to make the girl in the stories seem a little more real.

I myself collect porcelain dolls.... my own grandmother(at 51) before giving me my first porcelain doll at the age of around 15.... she had to do it's hair (as she did not like the way the dolls hair was done) before she gave it to me. LOL

Not at all. At her age I still collected horses. My sister is 52 and collects dolls. I have a baby doll that I dress up for the holidays. I think we are never too old to love toys. Heck my hubby gets Legos almost every Christmas. The American girl dolls are really cute and can be collector dolls, so why not get one for her as a gift.

1 / 3