15 Month Old Wont Drink Milk

Here I am again with another question!I have a 15 month old who refuses to drink any milk. I have tried Strawberry, chocolate milk, hot chocolate. I have put apple juice in milk, mixed milk with formula, as well as breast milk, nothing has worked. I am worried she is not getting enough calcium. She eats plenty of yogurt and cheese, but WILL NOT DRINK MILK!!!

C.:

humans do not need to drink cows milk.. not even for calcium!. there is plenty of other ways to get calcium.

let her drink water!. much healthier.

P., RLC, IBCLC
Pres. Lactation Support Group, Inc
www.lactationsupportgroup.com

C.:

let her drink water!. much healthier.

P., RLC, IBCLC
Pres. Lactation Support Group, Inc
www.lactationsupportgroup.com

She is prbably getting a good amount of Calcium if she is eating yogurt and cheese and has a good diet of green vegetables. But my daughter had the same problem and to this day does not drink regular milk, so I use Soy milk it is really good and you can get it calcium fortified. I would not choose a flavor right away go with the original as that has a sweet taste already and if that dosen't work they do have vanilla and chocolate.

Hope this works!!

My daughter was the same way, she would only drink water (as she hated juice too...which is just un-needed sugar & calories). Nothing to worry about though, there are plenty of other ways to get the calcium she needs....like you are doing (through plenty of yogurt & cheese). It wasn't until my daughter was 2 years old (she's now 2 1/2) that she started drinking milk...but it HAS to be chocolate milk (I just buy the sugar free chocolate syrup & put a little of that in there). I have continued to offer her regular milk and she still refuses...but nothing to be concerned about, we don't "need" milk to get the right amounts of calcium & be healthy. I too hate milk (always have since I was a baby) and I'm healthy as can be. So, just keep doing what you are doing and make sure she gets her calcium through other sources.

Have you tried soy milk or rice milk? It's actually better for them than cow's milk and still has the calcium and protein they need. It doens't have a lot of fat though, so you have to make up for it in other food sources.

Try rice milk, that's what my son drinks and all his play group friends prefer HIS to Theirs! I personally wouldn't do soy milk because of the hormones in it.

My duaghter was the same way...she ate lots of yo baby yogurts that year. But...eventually, since that is all we offered during meals, she did drink milk. Stick with it. We do not drink juice in our house so the only choice during meals is milk and other than that water.

Don't worry about it. Sounds like she's getting calcium from plenty of other sources, and you actually need much less calcium than you think; USRDA numbers for many nutrients have been influenced by various interest groups over the years and you'll find that the numbers in the UK, for example are about 2/3rd that of the US.

Start looking at other beverages, such as soy milk. It's available in high and low fat varieties, and has all of the nutrients as cow milk - even the calcium. She my actually be having trouble digesting it, or dislike the taste, which also isn't unusual. We don't drink cow milk in my house and I've found that it often smells spoiled even when it's fresh.

Like another mom said, my DD wouldn't drink cold milk, but if it was warmed up just a bit to about room temp she was fine. After about a month of that she was fine and now sucks down those sippys like crazy! Good luck, and if you are really worried about the calcium, maybe the pediatrician could recommend a vitamin?
E.

1 / 3