15 Month Old Sleeping Way More than Usual

My 15 mo old daughter has just recovered from a virus, her symptoms were runny nose, fever and a rash. She was seen by the pediatrician on Monday and her symptoms had pretty much disappeard by Tuesday. Her normal afternoon nap lasts between 1 1/2 to 2 hours, Tuesday her nap was 3 hours and Wednesday she slept for 4 hours, I had to wake her up at 4:00. She went to bed at her normal 8:00 bedtime and slept until 9:15 this morning, she usually is awake by 7:15 and I had to wake her up again. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this maybe during a growth spurt or when your child was recovering from an illness. She seems fine otherwise, should I call the doc?

Thanks for all of the quick responses! Now that I know I this isn't anything to worry about, I'm going to follow the advice and use the extra hour or so to finally finish the book I'be been reading for 2 months now. Yay for me!!!! Thanks again.

It could be a combination of the new time change and her getting over her sickness. I know my daughter is having a tough time, because it is now getting dark before we get home.

That sounds completely normal for her age. Sick or not sick. But since she is recovering from an illness she may need some extra sleep to help her get over it. Let her sleep as much as she needs. I have found that as adults we don"t realize how important sleep is to little ones. My 2 1/2 daughter sleeps 2 hours for a nap and then sleeps from 8:00 to 7-7:30 at night.

I think it's normal. She probably didn't rest very well while she was sick and new she's just catching up. If it continues for a really long period of time just call the ped office a nurse should be able to help you.
God Bless,
R.

please check for Lyme disease through igenex lab,most reliable lab and specific test results.do not rely on westernblot and ELISA tests through quest or labcorp both tests together only are 65%accurate.manypleople are suffering and dying of Lyme disease without being diagnosed because of false negatives.check on line www.underourskin.com a documentary about Lyme disease and watch the trailer as well click on resources thereis a lot of info . Google Lyme literate doctor.diagnosing Lyme is a political disease order the movie on that website and you would understand why.I am not a doctor and I do not work in the medical field, but I became an expert on it through personal experience.my son was seen by 38 doctors to finally getting the right diagnosis,the right treatment to save his life,my prayers were answered. We are in an endemic area because of the wekiva springs forests, the Deere tick spreads the disease,birds,white footed mouse ,fleas,lizard bites,box turtles.make sure you check your dog if you have one,it is transmitted trough blood, saliva, body fluids.the nymph stage of the tick that transmits Lyme is the size of a poppy seed,very hard to see,big engorged ticks are easier to see.the bite has an anesthetic effect, so you would not feel it. Good luck! I wish the best for your daugther.let me know if I can be of any help. Take care!

My now 2 1/2 year old used to do that a lot from the time she was 7 months old til somewhere around her second birthday, usually when she had a growth spurt. There were times where she would do it for a couple of weeks. There were times where I missed her because she spent so much time sleeping. She still is a sleeper. Sometimes there little bodies just need a lot of sleep to grow and recover from being sick. I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe try to enjoy the extra hour to yourself.

A.

Remember that they are more active during the day because they have started to walk and run. This will cause them to sleep more which is recommended for toddlers to sleep up to 15hrs a day (including naps)

I don't think that is too long. My 24mth old son, sleeps for 3hrs during the day and then sleeps from 8:30p thourgh 10am. But if you are still concerned about how much she sleeps, you might want to call the doctor.

Good Luck and Hey enjoy it you are one of the few that is able to get sleep through the night!

Hi, N.. Yes, it is common for a small child (or anyone else) to sleep more than usual after mostly getting over an illness. Even a cold virus takes a lot out of a person of any age.

BTW, what did the pediatrician give her for the illness, if anything? Cough medicines, runny nose medicines, etc., can make a person sleepy, especially a small child. Some kids get drowsy from Tylenol or Ibuprofen (fever reducers & mild pain killers), so if you've been giving her these, she may be drowsy from them.

I wouldn't worry about her sleeping a bit more than usual. If it continues for more than a week, however, I would get her checked out again because then it would sound like a generalized fatigue, which is not a good sign. But two days of extra sleep after a bad virus is not a bad thing.

I hope she feels better soon!

Peace,
Syl

Yes, call the doctor. No doubt about it. it's up to him/her to see if if your daughter is just recovering from the virus or if it is something else.
My rule of thumb for my 23 month old is if he does anything (physically) that isn't his usual thing more then once, I call the doctor.

1 / 3