15 Month Old Has a Sore Throat, How to Soothe It?

I know i can't give him any cold medicine because he's not 2 years old yet. he has a humidifier in his room but still has a hard time at nights. is there anything else i can do for him to help him feel more comfortable?
is it really a serious thing with the whole cold medicine? what could be the complecations if i give him them?

You can give him some infant tylenol to help with the pain.
A warm drink can be soothing, too. Maybe some lemon tea with some honey in it. Not hot, just warm.

I have always gave my kids cough medicine.They have pediatric formulas out there. Usually for a 2 year old it says a 1/2 tsp or something I always just halved that and gave it to them. If it is going to make him feel better than I don't see the problem. Best of luck.

As far as giving him cold medicine, I would check that out with your pediatrician. But in the meantime, a dose of Children's Tylenol will take some of the pain away and you could try making homemade apple juice "popcicles". I just poured it in a few sections of my ice tray and let my nephew lick and suck on them while I held it for him (for safety reasons). Between the cold and having something "new" to try, it really seemed to help. Hope this helps you some.

Tylenol and ibuprofen can be given safely and would help with the discomfort, not the stuffiness or runny nose part, but the sore throat.

One of the things you can do during the day to help is to give him a popsycle (sorry about spelling). The coolness of the popsycle will numb the pain a little. I am sorry I don't have anything for helping him at night.

If it were me I would give him teaspoon of honey. That will soothe a sore throat. And it has no side effects unlike cold medicine. It always works for me and my kids! (Because he is 15 m old this would be okay. It can be unsafe to give children under one year honey)

You can give him tylenol or motrin, that will help with the pain. I have three chilren, ages 5, 3, and almost 1. I have given the 5 and 3 year old cold medication and they are just fine. The problem comes with giving them too much. If you give them the proper dosage, you don't have to worry. If it is just a sore throat, then they won't help though. If it is a sore throat caused from drainage from a stuffy/runny nose, a cold medicine might help. You can usually find a proper dosage based on weight online. askdrsears.com is a great resource for medicine dosages.

I wouldn't worry about the cold medicine stuff too much. I think that people were miss useing it and that became a problem. I recently took my 13 month old into the doctor and she had tonsilitis. The doctor said that I could give her 3/4 of a tsp of childrens tylenole or motrine every few hours until the antibiotics kicked in. I would think that if you talked to your pediatrician or doctor they should be able to give you some advice.

All advice is good, the problem isn't cold medicine, it has more to do with giving him the right dosage. Having said that one thing I have found to work on the little ones when they have a sore throat is Chamomile tea, let it get luke warm put a little sweetner in it, honey is best but he isn't old enough yet so go with a little sugar. And let him drink it from a bottle or cup which ever one he uses. I hate Chamomile tea but my kids love it, of course they like honey and I hate it and that is what the tea reminds me of. Good luck.

1 / 3