14 Weeks Pregnant, with Some Spotting

Hi Moms! I just need some quick reassurance from all of you. I am 14 weeks pregnant with my third child (fourth pregnancy). I had some bloody tissue discharge this morning. I have never had any blood with my full term pregnancy, I had a miscarriage in February 2006. I don't have any major cramping or discomfort. I know some blood is normal, it's just never happened to me before with a successful pregnancy. Thanks!

I went to the doctor this afternoon and my placenta is pulling away. She could see where the tissue came off and it should heal as long as I stay in bed. The main problem is the baby is right on top of the cervix, like it is getting ready to come on down. That worried her more than the placenta. So hopefully with enough rest things will be okay. Thank you all for your advice and comforting thoughts. I think everything will work out. Thanks again!

My 2 nd pregnancy I spotted all throughout. It is very scary, I had so many ultrasounds done, but everything was fine I delivered a health 9 lb baby girl. Just relax and don't freak out because that always makes matters worse. God bless and relax

It can be totally normal. YOu should give your ob a call for peace of mind if nothing else.

Although some spotting could be normal, I would defintely call my midwife or OB and let them know what is going on. If you have had a vaginal exam or intercourse lately that could be the cause.

Many women experience bleeding in early pregnancy, but later on it can be a little more worrisome. Good luck to you!

T.-

With my second, I had some spotting around 13 or 14 weeks. Like the other posters have mentioned, it was brown and everything turned out fine. Personally, I needed to slow down a bit and take it easy.

Brown spotting or otherwise, I would definetly call you ob/gyn and go in for an u/s, just to be sure. I am sure this is very scary and this will really be the only way you know for sure.

Just as an FYI, I will mention that even though my little boy is absolutely perfect, the late spotting did cause my AFP/triple screen test to come up abnormal and I had an amnio done. During the procedure, my ob/gyn said my fluid was darker than normal (because of the late bleeding) and he said he knew as soon as he saw it why my AFP test was off.

Hi T. - I had some spotting about that time too, and I also had a screener come back slightly off. We did some additional screenings with a specialist to make sure we were not looking at any brain or spinal problems. All of those things were fine, so the prognosis was that my placenta might weaken before my due date. Because of my one time spotting, abnormal screen, and the specialist's diagnosis of my placenta problem, my wonderful OB monitored me weekly from 32 weeks on with nonstress tests in her office and frequent ultrasounds. Good thing, because at 33 1/2 weeks my fluid was low and after 4 days in the hospital they induced. So, I would recommend following up with screeners so they can have as much info as possible. We did not need to go with the amnio route since the results from the specialist were conclusive that there was not any brain or spinal problems so it must be a placenta problem. We were nervous to do that since it is invasive. So ask lots of questions, because there are other things you can do before that that are not invasive.

Best of luck T..

As the other mothers said, I would call you OB and have them give you a check up. I had spotting at my 12th week, and was hysterical thinking I was having a miscarriage. It ended up being old blood --- the color was a brownish. My OB said to be concerned if it is bright red. I am sure everything will be ok.

T.,

I had two miscarriages prior to our son being born. Both times there were no cramping to indicate such. While carrying Jacob, I started bleeding and (obviously) was paranoid. I got in that day to see the doctor and all was fine. So, my advice to you is to call the doctor.

Good luck. :)

Hi T.,

At 6 weeks and just after finding out I was pregnant, I began spotting - nothing major, but very consistent, and continued for the next 5 to 6 weeks. I went in for an ultrasound, saw the heartbeat, and was told this may just be a normal condition in this pregnancy. Finally, around week 12, the spotting stopped and at 38 weeks I delivered a very healthy baby boy. I know the spotting can make you nervous, but just accept it and keep positive - everything will be fine. The child that resulted from that pregnancy is the happiest and most wonderful 2.5 year old boy! Congratulations on your pregnancy and keep positive!

1 / 3