14 Months Has No Teeth

My 14 months old girl shows no sigh of teething. Her doctor said just wait and see, but people around us keep asking, and some give advise too. Is it something i should concern about? Is there anybody has the same sutiation?
Thanks

Thank you all for your positive advise. Now i feel much peaceful and normal, yes, I should enjoy every stage because once they are gone, they are gone. I will get my camera ready and take lots of pix for my precious one.
Take care and enjoy your motherhood.

Hi C. -
that was totally us! Adam is a smart normal child every other way, but he didn't get his first bottom teeth until 15months - and it took like 2 months for them to come in fully -

then he got his molars - all at once, at 16 months -

only now at 20 months are his two middle upper teeth coming in - and we can see another coming through next to the bottom middle teeth - all other kids his age have 16 teeth!

I was worried too, and called a pediatric dentist - they said it is unusual but not unheard of - some babies don't get their first teeth until 2 years! my pediatrician said "very interesting tooth eruption pattern" and "nothing to worry about"

it only held Adam back a little, food-wise, I had to chop stuff up since he couldn't use his front teeth to bite an apple or peach or nectarine - but it really didn't matter once he got a piece into his mouth, he could gum it as if he had teeth.

don't worry! they are in there!

My daughter was almost 19 months old when she got her first tooth -- about 2 weeks after her 18 mo appt where her Dr said he wouldn't worry until she was 2. She is now 4 and has all her teeth - she cut her molars very late too. It is likely that she will also lose the baby teeth late too. But totally normal. My son is 2 and got his first teeth much earlier - around 8 months.

My daughter also was a late teether. There is nothing wrong with a late teether. Dont worry on the teething, just be ready for when they do start to come in as they might come in with a bang! My daughter got a lot of her teeth at the same time and boy was it a difficult few weeks of her not feeling well. Go stock up on the teething pills (not the gel but the pills that melt) and remember to be patient as time and stages go so fast with our precious little ones.

My daughter got 2 teeth at 9 months and then nothing for 8 more months until she got 2 more at 15 months. I have a ton of people asking about them, including my mother in law who is convinced it's some sort of nutritional deficiency!

Everything I have been able to find says that if they have no teeth at 18 months it's worth seeing a pediatric dentist, but not to worry at all before then. And so long as at least one tooth is present at 18 months, there's nothing to worry about.

Just as your doctor says wait and see. My first daughter got her first tooth at 11 months which I know is kind of on the late side. So when my second daughter came along I knew not to worry, her first tooth showed up at 15 months. By seventeen months she still had only her two bottom front teeth when suddenly her top first year molars appreared. My daughter's pediatrician said that the average age for the first tooth is 6 months but that they sometimes get it as late as 17 or 18 months and the latest first tooth he's ever seen was at 22 months. Though most babies usually start getting teeth around 6 months and in a specific order there are variations and it is all very normal. So try not to worry and enjoy that adorable toothless grin because once it's gone it's gone. - K.

My son didn't get his first tooth until he was 15 months old... (it was my Christmas present) The doctor told us it is better because he will get his adult teeth later too.

I was worried just like you and compared him to my daughter who is 20 months older and got her first tooth at 10 months.... but they came. Have lots of teething medicine ready (the teething tablets are the BEST) because when your daughter does start it probably won't stop for a while. With my daughter it was a little at a time and in pairs... with my son it was one at a time for about 9 months. Even his front teeth came in at different times and last (at almost 2). He actually got his back teeth first, which is not common, but then neither is getting your first tooth at 15 months.

You are not alone. :)

My dentist said not to worry about late teething. My son was a late teether and I became worried. He said if he still doesn't show signs of teething by 18 months they will take an x-ray just to make sure he's got some. hehe He also said that the later his baby teeth come in the later they will fall out. Take lots of pictures of your gummy grinning baby!!

Hi C. -

don't worry! they are in there!

My first son didn't get his 1st tooth until he was almost 15 months old, and the second son closer to 13 months old. If the pediatrician isn't worried, don't you be worried. She will get them soon enough. Plus, I was told by tons of people that it means their teeth will also be stronger. Just be prepared that the first few breaking through will definitely be painful for your daughter because her gums have gotten more tough than if she would have cut a few teeth earlier. Once the first few pop out, she will be used to the pain. Best of wishes.

1 / 3