14 Month Old with a Leg Turn

My 14 month old son started walking at 10 months old. Since he began walking his right foot turns in as if for balance. We thought it'd work itself out as he got better at walking. Now it appears that his right knee is bowed along with a slightly turned(pigeon)right foot. He has a dr appt coming up. Just asking other moms.

So I took Jesse to his 15 month appt and the doc couldn't be less concerned with the leg turn. He actually said he wouldn't do anything until he was 2 yrs old. Reason being he's seen what children go thru with surgeries and such and only slightly improve. Whereas people with a slight turn have completely normal walking and athletic abilities. He didn't see it as serious as a hip socket turn or anything that drastic, just a very slight turn.

Your pediatrician should give you a referral to a pediatric orthopedist as soon as possible.

Hi. I am a Chiropractor and have mentioned your question to my good friend and colleague Dr. Rhonda Emmert. She is also a chiropractor and specializes in psychoneuroimmunology and children's health in particular. This is what she had to say:

"Has your son been ruled out for right hip socket congenital anomalies?. Is there history of Thyroid illness or Diabetes in your family?

Leg and hip problems like this are prevalent due to insufficient adrenal function. And Adrenal function is correlated with Thyroid problems or Diabetes. Does your child also have mood issues, allergies or Asthma?"

I would suggest that first you find out about hip socket anomalies and then you could look into what you can do to support his adrenal function.

Dr. Emmert is working on a web site where she will have information available about issues such as adrenal insufficienies, etc., but it is not up yet.

I have posted a short biography when she answered another question, but I will post it here again for your information,

Rhonda Emmert, D.C., B.A. Nutrition, is co-founder of essencehealers/Patient Advocacy through Molecular Mindfulness, and has been practicing for 23 years in San Francisco. Dr. Emmert, was voted one of the ten best chiropractors in San Francisco Magazine, and is listed in America’s Top Chiropractors, 2007. She has built her practice by addressing her patient’s obscure and chronic conditions. She has devised a system of analysis, Molecular Mindfulness, that utilizes biochemistry as the avenue to systemic diagnosis. Dr. Emmert has a family-based practice; hence, she has seen the genetic implications that warrant biochemical healing at the deepest level. She takes her patients on for life.

I hope this helps, Dr. M. Herman

I went through something similar with my son (who walked well at 9 months) so many years ago and the first doctor recommended surgery. My son had an overly short tendon on the inside of his foot and an overly long one on the outside. Also, the bones appeared to be developing in a way that one was thicker than it should be and the other was thinner. The dr. proposed to split these bones open, taking the center out of one bone and inserting it into the center of the other bone. I couldn't bear the thought of my two year old in such tremendous pain (to be numbed by drugs) and in double connected leg brace for a prolonged period of time, so I got a second opinion. The next doctor prescribed orthopedic shoes, which he wore all the time at first. We had a clean pair for bed and another pair for walking. He wore these shoes made specially for him (they looked like old fashioned European shoes and we got tons of complements on them) until he was about 5 1/2. I also used to pull his foot and leg in a way that would straighten it out during the first year or two. He's 11 now and not in any way bow legged and his one foot isn't perfectly shaped but he wears regular shoes. The point of me telling you all this is that I am so glad we got a second opinion. Please know that you always have that option. Insurance companies by law must allow you a second and third opinion. Good luck and start massaging/pulling the foot and leg into a straighten shape until you find the right Dr. I can't remember the name of the doctor who prescribed the specially made shoes, but I could probably find it if you'd like. He was in Oakland, Ca. ____@____.com

my oldest now 7 was very bowed legged when he first started walking and both his toes turned in. We got him in to shrinners at about 2 years of age. They said he was perfectly normal that he would grow out of it and he did. By about 3 yrs old his legs were not bowed any more. His toes turn in a little expecially when he runs but the doctors say he is tottaly normal. When thus all happened I was discussing it with my family and come to find out my 25 yr old sister is pigon toed aswell as my 18 yr old brother. This hasn't effected them at all they both are very athletic aswell as my son. My brother will be playing baseball and football @ the college level. So I hoped this helped I dont think there is much to worry about.

Hello S.,

What your son has is what they call femoral anteversion which means the hip is slightly turned inward. This is very common in kids and it rarely causes any problems unless its so severe that the child is falling often. My son has it and I took him to an orthopedist when he was eight years old. He took an xray of his hip and told me that as long as the growth of the bones was normal, there is nothing you can do. The only way to fix it is with surgery but they don't do those unless the parent asks for it or until after age 12. I will be taking my son again for another evaluation during the summer since he just turned 12 to see if its worthwhile to operate or not.

Just keep an eye on your son and if he is not walking well enough in the next 6 months or keeps falling too often then maybe you should seek a specialist opinion.

A.

My son also began walking at 10 months, he was very bowlegged and both of his feet turned, one more than the other. His Dr. has told us at many apts. he will "grow out of it". At his last apt. i was told to give it another year and if it doesn't get better he will be referred to a specialist. My son just turned 2, his legs aren't as bowed, they have actually gotten very straight on their own in comparison to what they were but, his feet still turn in which causes him to trip and fall a lot. It's only been 6 months since we were told to wait a year but, i plan on mentioning it to his Dr. again at his next apt. in May.

S.,
When I began walking, I had a severe pigeon toed walk also. My parents took me to the dr. and the found out my right hip socket was turned inward. I believe it's called femoral hip revulsion, or something like that? Anyhow, these doctors tried to put me in some special metal brace to straighten out my feet and legs, I had to sleep with it on. I was just a little toddler! We went for another opinion, to the Shriner's children's hospital in San Francisco and they said the brace wasn't doing any good, that my hip would gradully straighten as I get older. Well, over all these years my hip has straightened out and I still walk with a tiny turn in on my right, but it's barely noticeable. I'm in my 30's now. Maybe this is what your little boy has, a rotated hip? Good Luck

Hey S.- My oldest son who is now 8 was very similar. He walked at 9 months and was a very big baby (over 9 lbs at birth). He too was bow legged and had a bit of a turned foot. Our pediatrician said that he should grow out of it and has. They don't really do a lot for it these days unless it interferes with their growth and movement. Just keep your eye on it. :)

1 / 3