14 Month Old Waking up at 5:30Am

My 14 month old daughter has started waking up at 5:30am for the day. She still naps 2 times a day, and has always been a little different than what all the books say. Her naps are now at 8:15 and 1 pm. They usually last for about a hour to an hour and a 1/2. Her bedtime is 6:30 and she used to sleep until 6:30. I am fine with getting up at 6:30 but 5:30 is getting to me. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

So it's been about 5 days and we've gradually kept her up until 7ish. It is working! (hope I don't jinx myself) She is back to sleeping until 6:30am. Still taking two naps a day I have tried to push them back a half hour to adjust for the later evening. Our sitter put her to bed at 7:30 and she woke at 6:00, so I am just trying to stay at 7. Thanks so much for all your information and support. Let's hope this continues.....

Try only giving her 1 nap like at 12:30 or right after lunch,then make her stay up a litte longer,like til 8:00 or 8:30.It sounds like she is getting too much sleep.
Good luck to you.

My 9 month old had been doing the same thing. This weekend my husband made an ugly plywood "shade" that he puts in the window at night to keep it from getting too light early in the morning. It didn't work the first morning, but now he seems to be waking up a little later, closer to 6:00 or 6:30 the last couple mornings. Maybe it's just too light in her bedroom so she thinks it's time to get up?

Keeping it simple, it is time to give up one of those naps-she is old enough. I would start with the morning nap. This will need to make the afternoon nap longer. It make her go to bed a bit earlier, but I would try to keep her up a bit later. This will make her sleep later. Just do it by fifteen to 30 minutes at a time. You will need it later. Good luck.

Hi L., I am going to go a different direction. I know that for us, up here in Seattle, we have been going through a mini-heatwave. The sun has been coming up nice and early, the birds are a-singing, and my behind has been up at 5:30 and 6am ready to go! WHAT???? Maybe if you put a curtain ( I don't know what they are called, but they block out the sun better, maybe "blackout curtains"). Maybe she just thinks it's time to get up, so if you darken her room she might just get back to sleeping the way she was before.
Just a thought! Good luck, L.

I have two children -- 3yo boy and 19mo girl. Recently the 19mo started waking very early (once at 4:30 am) versus her usual wakeup time of 6:15-6:45.

It was especially a problem because the children share a room, so she would wake up her brother if we didn't go get her right away. But once she was awake, nothing we tried would get her to sleep, whether it was trying to soothe her in her crib or bring her to bed with us or whatever. She was up and raring to go!

Finally, we were so sick of it that we set up a pack n play in the spare room and simply let her "cry it out", meaning we would go into her after about 10 min of crying and rub her back and tell her it's sleep time, but not pick her up, then if she was still crying, we would go in after another 15 min, etc. She would sleep or at least be quiet for short periods of time and then wake again. Once the clock hit 6am would wait for a quiet period and then go get her and if she was awake we would tell her it's awake time now and take her out of the crib etc.

Anyway, it only took two nights of this routine and now she is sleeping well -- no wakeups before 6am and today she almost made it to 7.

Good luck to you.

Good luck to you.

It may be that she just doesn't need as much sleep as she did previously. I remember this happening to us around that same age.... I gradually stretched the morning nap later by keeping her busy and because she was more tired, she started taking a longer nap... she could then make it until later in the evening. You may also try stretching bedtime until a little later if you like the two nap system. Even an hour later may make a huge difference. For the longest time our daughter went to bed at 8pm, woke up between 6:30 and 7am and took one two hour nap in around noon. It worked very well for us.
Best wishes!

My kids did this too. Just put her to bed later. Say 7 or 7:30pm. It might take a couple of days for her body to adjust but it will be worth it.

I had the same thing happen when it started getting lighter earlier in the morning. Could it possibly be the light coming into her bedroom?

L.,

You could try moving her bed time back to see if that will change her wake up time. One thing I have done with my 15 month old daughter is leave a few soft toys in her crib that she can play with if she wakes up.

Here's our routine:

7am wake up/get out of bed
8am breakfast
9am nap/finish getting ready for swimming (I'm teaching a water tots class at our local YMCA on Monday & Wednesday)
10am in the water for 30 mins/get up from nap
12pm lunch
1pm nap
2pm-5pm play, run errands, more sleep; it all depends
5pm dinner
6pm baths if needed
7pm daughter's bedtime
8pm son's bedtime

There is a lot of flexibility in this, and if she's super tired she goes to bed earlier, if she's had some good naps she gets to stay up later. My son has various activities throughout the week that I didn't put in here.

Hope this helps,

1 / 3