14 Month Old Keeps Waking Up, Standing in Crib Crying

How do I get my 14 month old son to sleep for longer stretches and what do I do when he is standing up in his crib and crying 3 -4 times per night? I used to be able to play his music and he would go back to sleep, but now that he is standing up when I get to him, that doesn't work. He is a happy kid who eats a lot, but sleep is not his strong suit. He has a great bed time routine that starts with a big dinner. He goes to bed at the same time every night. We have been doing all these things since he was around 4-5 months old. He has never been a good sleeper. My lack of sleep feels cumulative and I'm beyond tired. For those of you who have been here, any advice? And when does it get better :-)?

Oh that must be so exhausting. I've found a lot of good sleep advice here: www.pantley.com/elizabeth

And if he's teething, try Hyland's homeopathic teething tablets.

Best wishes for good sleep!

I too was frustrated when my son wasn't sleeping through the night by 1 year. I didn't get any let up till about 18 month about the same time he was done teething. He might need some Tylenol if that's the case. They go through phases. Also look at how many naps he is getting and for how long. Looking back - I think he he too long of naps. He loved his naps but they didn't help with night time.

My son sarted this when he was about 13 months, I found if I did not go in he would fall right back asleep. It is kind of hard the first night , but after that he slept through the night.

Where do I start? I'll try to be brief. I have a 2 year old. He has gone through sleeping spurts. We have tried 2 different methods. When he was aobut 9 months, we tried an online book called "Sleepsense". This worked for a short period of time. Then after he turned a year old the struggles returned. He ended up sleeping in our bed just so we could get a little peace. After a year of waking up exhausted from being hit with various limbs of our son on and off all night, we realized something had to be done. We simply followed "Supernanny's" advise on her show and we are sleeping peacefully now. If you have not watched the show, I can go over it with you in detail in an email. Just let me know. Who would have guessed that applying something from a reality show like that would work? It did for us and if she were here I would give her the biggest HUG ever!

Best Wishes for a good night sleep,

Hi, i have a great solution. there is a book called "how to solve your childs sleep problems"...i don't know the author, but it saved me when my 4 year old had a nightmare about snakes, and then WOULDN'T go to bed at night. it was horrible. it will be hard for you to do it, but if you follow the steps, he will be sleeping through the night in about 3 nights. IT WORKS...i just had to get the book for my daughter who's 15 month old son was doing the same thing. he now sleeps through the night. it is VERY important that you do it. you need sleep to be a good mom. and what you are going to do will be hard, but necessary. let me know how it works! thanks, V.

If you can emotionally put up with two hours or so of crying he's probably old enough to let him cry it out. It usually doesn't take more than a few days. You have to be at the right point of exhaustion to harden your heart and not respond to his crying. I had to do it with all three of mine. When I knew they no longer needed to feed during the night, after 6 or 8 months in my case, and I was so wiped out I was about to lose it, I let them cry. Sitting there listening to them cry in their rooms is agonizing, I know, but it worked. I think the longest one was about 2-1/2 hours.
For me nothing was worse than the preschool years. They were adorable but I was so worn out all the time. It gets better the older they get. You are tired tired tired, and then one day it's all over and you're all nostalgic and wish they were babies again.

I feel for you! I have a 10 1/2 month old and a 2 year old and it took them both almost a year to sleep thru the night. I'm also an "older" mom, and it's hard!!!

Few of things that helped both of them: 1.) Warm bath before bed. 2.) Warm milk/formula/breastmilk 3.) Bowl of baby oatmeal to fill their tummies 2.) Tylenol and oragel if teething 3.) NOT going into the room to sooth them every time they cry (but you have to start in short time increments - this was a life saver for us - we started with 5 minutes, then 10, then 15... then they finally started giving up crying and sleeping thru the night after about 3-4 days of doing that - it was REALLY hard on us, but paid off in BIG ways) 4.) Stopping breastfeeding and the bottle if formula fed also helped them both sleep thru the night. GOOD LUCK! It will happen eventually, that is the good news!

Hello,

He may be having night terrors which are really bazaar. They look like they are awake but they are really not. Look it up on babycenter.com and it will tell you how to deal with it. Good Luck.

My son did the same thing and I was SOOOOO tired too! I got fed up and just let him cry it out one night and the very next night he slept through the night! That first night was torture to listen to him cry (for an hour) but it was so worth it. He may revert every once in awhile, but luckily the crying sessions do get shorter.

HI A.,
My second daughter was a non-sleeper. In fact, she didn't sleep through the night until she was 4 1/2! She met up with a lot of things in her sleep that disturbed her - sometimes nightmares and sometimes, I don't know what. She could sometimes talk about it, but usually not. However it was clear she just needed the comfort of either myself or her father. I gave her chamomile tea at dinner and before bedtime and that sometimes helped. She also is clearly a very sensitive person (woman now) and needed the grounding energy of being loved and held.
best thoughts, J. Birns

1 / 3