14-Month Old Only Wants to Eat Fruit

Hello. My 14-month old son has always loved strawberries, watermelon, and bluberries, which is a very good thing! However at dinnertime, he only wants to eat fruit. I always give him thingsI know he's like in the past--chicken, nuggets, potatoes, bread, etc. Lately he just turns his head and points to the refrigerator and says his version of strawberry. He takes the food from his highchair table and throws it on the floor. Last night I just said all the fruit was gone, and he still wound't eat. I tried to offer him his dinner a couple of different times throughout the evening, but he just pushed it away. At 7:00 I finally gave in and let him have some yogurt. I just don't know what to do or how to handle the situation. I think it's ridiculous he won't eat anything for me other than fruit. During the day at his day care, he'll eat just fine. I would appreciate some advice!

Jamie,

I have not been in this situation and so I don't know how I would feel doing what I suggest. However, if I were in this situation I think that I would give him fruit for breakfast or whenever you normally do and then no more throughout the day (or whenever you do, only do it at those times, so it's consistant)
Then, when he is hungry at the other times of the day offer his regular food make that the only thing you give him no matter what. If you give in he will know he just has to fuss long enough and you will break and he'll get what he wants.

It will probably take a while and he will go hungry for a portion of the day, but if he is hungry enough then he'll eat what he is given.

That is what I would do with my 18m old daughter who is VERY strong willed. I have had similar situations and this method has worked very well.

Hope that was helpful, just be tough and consistant :-)

Fruit is the healthiest food on earth. If that's all the kid wants then let him have it. He can get just about everything he needs from it, provided he is eating a large variety of fruits. My son has been the same way, especially since it has been so hot outside. Don't worry about it because it will pass, just like everything else does. Hang in there!

I'd try telling him you're out of fruit and give credibility to your story by not giving him any for a day or two, so he has a chance to be reminded that he does in fact like other things. Then reintroduce the fruit. I think the idea of keeping it as an after dinner snack in the evening is a good one though. Kids all go through these phases. For the most part, kids will eat what they need, but i have known people who as children were actually hospitalized for nutritional problems, due to their mom giving in and just giving them the hot dogs they were obsessed with for months on end because she didn't want to deal with their tantrums. I've always figured it is better to err on the safe side. Good luck with your little guy!

If he is getting a good breakfast and lunch at daycare, I wouldn't worry too much. Offer him the food and if he doesn't eat it than he's probably not hungry. Toddlers won't starve themselves. Does he get fruit at daycare? If not it may just be his body's way of getting a certain vitamin that he needs. If you have a problem just giving him fruit, go ahead and don't buy it so there isn't any to give him. Good luck.

He'll be fine. He won't starve himself. Just make sure to offer him other things, like you are, he'll eat it eventually. My 19 month old is the same way. In fact, they will both eat fresh fruit, yogurt, raisins, etc. all day if I let them. Relax and know that he will eat what he needs and find comfort in the fact that he's eating healthy things!!

~L.

my daughter was the same way - I mixed fruit with anything to get her to eat it! chicken barley and apple she would eat - whatever it had to have fruit!!

she is 15 a black belt in karate and a fruit HOUND STILL!!!!

Hi Jamie,
I have a 2.5 year old who has never ate well. He only likes carbs (crackers, cereal, oatmeal bars) and bananas. We make sure he drinks one of those pediasure milks per day. It states right on the bottle, "source of complete, balanced nutrition for children 1 - 10 years of age". It contains 100% or more of the recommended dietary allowances for protein, vitamins and minerals. I know for a fact how hard (if not impossible) it is to get a little one to eat something that they do not want. These pediasure drinks work great. He continues to have great check-ups with our pediatrician and he acts and looks healthy. Our son enjoys the drinks. There are several flavors to try, but the chocolate and the strawberry are his favorites. Good luck to you and your little one.

Kids this age need very little food and sometimes go on binges. I'd limit the fruit only because of the sugar. If he's eating at day care, then he'll be fine. The yogurt was a good idea. You might want to give him kiddie vitamins unless you're breastfeeding in which case, it's probably not necessary.

My son is the same way, but I found the more I force him the more he resists. You could try makeing him wait for the fruit untill he has tried a bite. Or put all on tray and let him pick. I found every once in a while he will actually eat all his meal when there is no stress on what I expect of him. And I have finally come to the point that he's not asking for twinkies or doughnuts so apples and bananas are okay and nothing to stress him out over. If your worried about protein like I do sometimes the yogart you mentioned and cheese and milk and somtimes peanut butter are good replacements for the meat. hope this helps.

1 / 3