13 Year Old with Facial Pimples

Hi Mamas,

My son is 13 and has started to get pimples on his face. The pimples come and go. Should I put something (if so, what?) on them to make them go away faster, or just leave them alone? His skin does not appear to be oily in general. I don't want to go all out and call it "acne" at this point, but I also don't want this to get worse, if I can help it.

ProActiv - best thing I have EVER used on my skin. I started using it when i was 12. Worked almost immediately.

Neutrogena soap and a gentle astringent twice a day should help. Acne is a part of life; we all get it. A clean, healthy body fueled by a clean healthy diet is really the best you can do.

Ahhhh, puberty!

Just make sure he washes his face morning and night and changes his pillowcases every couple of days to keep them to a minimum.

have him use a facial scrub, such as St. Ives (apricot) it is inexpensive, can be found at Target, Wallmart etc.. follow with a toner (astringent) and a light facial cream, make sure he uses a cotton ball with the astringent to remove excess dirt...hope this helps...J

When I was a teen, I used Stridex pads. They are small, fast to use, and don't feel 'creamy'. I was always amazed at what came off my face on the pads, and they worked great.

Ahhhh, puberty!

The main thing for boys and girls this age is to keep their hands off their faces! Boys, especially, get dirty hands and touching their face just transfers the dirt and the bacteria.
Never use anything that is over-drying as that just causes the skin to produce more oil which causes more pimples.
The very best thing to use after washing, or even just a couple of times throughout the day is good old-fashioned with hazel on a cotton ball.
It can be purchased at any drug store, is super cheap, doesn't sting or burn.
Even proactive didn't work for my friend's daughter, so I had her get some with hazel and her skin improved dramatically.

Best wishes!

zap-it acne treatment is fantastic...I can tell you where to get it if you are interested.

It probably depends on how sensitive he is about them. I started going to the derm at 12 and used various combos of perspription pill and cream for 10 years until I just got tired of doing it. I had on average 4-5 pimples at a time and almost never had a 100% clear face from age 12 to 16. I pretty much just grew out of it, though I still have the occasional adult acne breakout right before my period. I did take accutane at 14 (which at the time it wasn't approved for my age but docs did it anyway and then it was linked to all kinds of awful things in teens and young adults and I believe they generally reserve it for adults now) I would say if you can afford it and are willing, run through all the over the counter soaps, creams, pads, overnight serums till you find one he is happy with (my 30 yr old husband still uses a clearasil overnight product that he swears by). Also make sure you both realize that for most teens, acne is just something to learn to deal with and a completely zit free face all of the time is usually an unattainable ideal.

1 / 3