13 Weeks Pregnant and Still Can't Keep Anything Down

Hi Moms: Do any of you have any remedies as to what can calm my chronic vomiting? Even if I start to think about eating I get sick. I'm desperate to eat again and to gain weight (I've lost almost 10 lbs). I've tried steeping ginger into tea, and that helps for a little bit but I just can't seem to keep anything else to stay down.

A.-
I was right there with you with my second child, as soon as I moved in the morning I was on the run to the bathroom. I found that Altoids makes ginger flavored ones and also sucked on hard candy lemon drops (the old fashioned kind). I also found that before I even got out of bed I would eat a handful of pretzels or crackers or part of a cereal bar or granola bar. Believe me you will gain weight!!! HA!! Try this out, hopefully it will help!!

I too lost 10-15lbs with my first due to sickness. I found the only thing I wanted was egg rolls! My Mom's friend told her it was the cabbage in the egg rolls that was calming my stomach down, which was probably a reason I craved it! I also craved Cream of Wheat though... LOL Peppermint is also supposed to help, as well as either vitamin B6 or B12. I was also perscribed a prenatal pill that helped with the neasuea feeling. I don't remember the name, just that it was a long oval shape, and a bright blue! Good Luck, it does eventually get better ; )

Don't let you stomach be empty. Always eat something, even just crackers or suck on candy. Eat sugary cereal. Those are some of the things that I was told. I had really bad morning sickness, well all day sickness. Worse with my daughter. I felt that way for at least 4-5 months. Miserable I know. I kept a bag of Jolly ranchers in my desk at work and ate crackers. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

First of all, it is COMPLETELY NORMAL to continue to lose weight up until around 20 weeks pregnant, and then start to gain. If you are only 13 weeks I really wouldn't worry. I lost about 20 lbs before I started to gain with this pregnancy of mine. I started at 130lb, went down to 109lb, and started to gain about 18 weeks and am now back up to 130lb again at 29 weeks. Ok, here are my suggestions,.....
1. Take your prenatals at night before bed.
2. If ginger seems to help, you can get crystalized ginger (basically candied) at walmart. I keep a bag of it with me at all times during pregnancy and I just suck on a piece when I start to feel sick to my tummy.
3. Keep up your protein. I bought a protein body builder drink (52g protein) and that helped me as well as keeping beef jerky on me. I would just suck on a piece if the ginger fails.
4. Get a good Flush Free Niacin (vit B3) supplement.
5. Eat WHATEVER sounds good. Don't worry about calorie intake, and eat a little bit every hour or so. Just keep SOMETHING in your tummy.
It is still early to worry about not gaining. I TOTALLY understand wanting to eat and start to gain weight, but your sprout is doing just fine and getting what it needs from you even though it feels like you are starving. I really hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else. If I remember any other things, I will let you know.
~A.~ (cooking #7)

If you are losing that much weight and can't keep anything down, then you need to speak with your doctor about putting you on something to help you. My friend Laci had the same problem, and her doctor put her on a medication called Zofran, and she swore by it. As soon as she started taking it, the same day, she was able to eat and started gaining weight again.

You need to be careful with the use of any herbs during pregnancy. There are a lot of herbs and herbal remedies that are contraindicated in pregnancy. You could harm your baby by using some herbs that you normally could use safely if you weren't pregnant. Always talk to your doctor about herbal use and medications during pregnancy.

Vitamin B saved my life. Call your doc for the proper milligrams that you can have as I forget.

A.-

A.-

I went through the exact same thing while I was pregnant with my daughter. Nothing, like you said, would stay down. The only thing that helped me, was to not eat before noon. As muchn as it sucked, and I was so hungry, that was the only way I wouldnt throw up. Also, I went to the doctor and they gave me these dissolvible tablets called ONDANSETRON. They are tablets made especially for Kemo treatment patients. They really helped me as well...when I remembered to take them! Talk to your doctor about it. Those are the two things I was definately recommend.

Definately check with your Dr. I ended up losing 15 pounds over a 2 week period with my 2nd baby (and almost lost the baby!). My Doctor put me on Reglan (which it ended up I was highly allergic to and ended up in the ER), then switched me to Zofran. Both were safe for the baby and helped me out. I was sick through my 6th month! There's also an over the counter liquid medicine-I don't remember the name, but it was for nausea and lemony flavored-I found it at Walgreens. It helped a little. Hang in there- my Dr. assured me that the sicker I was, the healthier my baby would be!

If you are uncomfortable with all the drug suggestions, suck on hard candy peppermints or drink peppermint tea in small amounts. The mint sooths a nauseous stomach. Also, eat tiny bits of food periodically if you can. You should feel better around 16-17 weeks.

this will take some time before you get out of bed in the morning try eating dry toast or saltines. they also have braclets for nausa ask the doctor about this. my sister had these problems and she had to go on medication for it. No juice or acidic foods, eat lots of whole grain foods and if all else fails try shakes,soup, and things that are one the easy side. you will get through this in a few more weeks. T.

1 / 3