13 Month Old Not Walking Yet?!

My 13 month old son is still not walking. He will cruise around the house holding on to things and crawl but he will NOT walk. His legs go limp when I try to hold his hands and walk. Anyone else have this problem?? Any other late walkers out there??

Thankyou for all your replies!! My son is STILL not walking yet, however he is walking when I hold his hands. At least we are getting somewhere now. The Dr. said he is fine and not to be concerned unless he is not wallking alone by 18 months. Its nice to know there is such a great support system here! Thanks again.

I am having the same problem with my 15 month old daughter. My first two children walked at 9 1/2 months and were running in circles by 15 months. I get so frustrated some times because I can't get anything done. The worst thing is she CAN walk she just doesn't want to. I've seen her go when I wasn't really paying attention and she'll walk between people and things, but is very stiff. When she holds my ONE finger she walks like a pro. Everyone says she'll do it when she's ready.
I guess they're right, but we still make a big hoorah when she walks on her own. She really likes to take steps outside in the yard to pick flowers. We take her out often to see her progress.
N.

Mine walked at about 11 months - my pediatrician commented about how that is very early these days. She asked if my husband and I were early walkers - both of us were....but more like 9 and 10 months. She said that walking by 1 year is like walking at 9 months used to be. She said that with the newer recommendations for back sleeping babies are simply meeting milestones later and so the norms for those milestones have been pushed back several months. 18 months is still within a normal range for walking. No worries...

N.

My older son didn't walk on his own until 15 months. He would push a little ride on toy everywhere he wanted to go. One day he just let go, turned around to go back and get something. He's been running ever since. Don't worry about it. He'll do it when he's ready.

We had the same problem...have your husband and yourself sit face-to-face as close as possible (with room for your son to stand up between the two of you), have a bottle for the child to want to reach/walk for. Start close to each other, have the child stand up in front of Dad (with Dad's help) and Mom has the bottle in her hand. The child will want to practice walking to the Mom to get the bottle. When the child reaches the Mom and the bottle, let the child drink a little from the bottle, then hand the bottle back to the Dad, then have the child walk to the Dad, let the child drink a little from the bottle, then repeat the process. Gradually, the Mom and Dad will scoot slightly further away from each other (not too dramatic of a change that the kid will notice). This helps build the child's confidence while nurturing at the same time.

Hi I was considered as well, but my son who is 14 months going onto 15 months just started walking, its all in their timing. He will when he is ready, I wouldn't worry.

dont worry he will walk when he is ready my daughter didnt start walking until she was almost 16 months the doctor told me it was fine that she was taking everything in and watching everything to learn more sheis 2 now and she walks fine and talks really well for a 2 year old

really it's not a big deal I have a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old and my 2 yr old was walking by 10 mons then there was my 4 yr old who did walk untill see was right around where your son is now and the only way we got her walking then was with this turck that had a handel she could hold on to and push in front of her so she felt as if she walking around holding onto something and she only needed it for a little over a week and one day she got brave and took off across the room. So really give him all the time he needs he's a baby and he just like takeing his good sweet time and really count your blessings (lol) cause just think once he starts walking around he's going to have to get into everything he can reach. But that's just what kids do and it makes us love them even more but don't worry every baby has their own way of doing things and their own speeds. And I am almost possitive any Dr. would tell you the same and that's just to guve him his own time to do it and it will happen one day and I am sure that one day will be very very soon then you'll find yourself asking yourself why did I want him to walk so bad. (lol) but it will still fill you with joy to see it even if it means he's makeing the house cleaning a little harder.

i have a child that did not walk until he was 18 months old. i was alittle worried because my other children walked before tehn. he had to go through physical therapy to help him. you may not have anything to worry about, but if you want to make sure there is a program called infants and toddlers. i dont know where youre from and if it will be close to you. if you want i can give you the info just emil me ____@____.com son was in it and they were great.they have a good program.

1 / 3