13-Year Old Boy with Blackheads- Need Suggestions for Getting Rid of Them

My 13 year old has a heavy concentration of blackheads with some pimples on his temples, nose and forehead. He has used some over-the counter products, washes his face twice a day, doesn't eat alot of junk/fried foods. What products/routines have successfully worked for your children? Is it time to see a dermatologist?

This problem is so awful... I suggest that you get a facial steamer, and show him how to steam open his pores and squeeze the blackheads out without scarring himself. The pimples will probably come and go regardless of what he does.

A dermatologist is probably overkill.

You could treat him to the "Gentleman's Facial" at Argania Salon. ###-###-####. Miriam (the owner, and mother of a teen) would steam his face and then clean all of that out for him. I've sent my husband (a manly man) for this treatment. He looked great with all of those pores cleaned out!

Hi L.. First, the soap may be exacerbating the problem, depending on what it is. There are some great options: Cetaphil if you want to go the medical route, or I use a really great Castille soap called Desert Essence with tea tree oil and awapuhi, but the key is to rinse it ALL off. I know I haven't rinsed well when I get something popping up on the edge of my face. I also use a Neutrogena brand Salicilic acid/Vitamin A cream that works great. IT's also important not to overdo it. Washing at night, and then applying the cream is probably enough. If you wash too much you overdry the skin and then it overcompensates with massive sebum production. Also eating sugar can cause breakouts, I don't know if that's an issue. Good luck! I know it can be frustrating!

I highly recommend Unblemish by Drs. Katie Rodan and Kathy Fields. They are two of the most highly recognized dermatologists in the industry. Unblemsih is a mixture of medicines and soothing botanicals to calm skin and work from the inside out to reduce outbreaks. I recommended it to my nephew and he has been very happy with the results. Not alot of work is involved so these young boys can keep up with it. Check out
http://amyb.myrandf.com/Shopping/Product.aspx?cid=69

This product was awarded best acne treatment by Allure Magazine’s Best of Beauty two years in a row
You can try it for 60 days risk free, the doctors are so sure that you will be satisfied they offer a full refund if you are not.

A dermatologist is probably overkill.

Sounds like he's already on the right track with a daily skincare regime as well as decent diet. You said he washes his face twice a day, but does he use a good moisturizer? Believe it or not, acne can be exacerbated by his skin being too dry. Mary Kay has a great line targeted specifically for teens and acne-prone adults with sensitive skin called Velocity. There's a face wash and a moisturizer, and at his age, that should be all he needs. However, what works for one may not work for another, so I suggest you try several different lines, including Mary Kay's Velocity, Neutrogena, etc, then stick with what works... even if it's a cheaper product you can find on a Walgreen's shelf. If you'd like to try Mary Kay, just email me at ____@____.com, and we'll see about getting you some samples to try. Good luck!!

Although I don't have blackheads, I get AWFUL huge cyst like pimples with 3-4 whiteheads in one big pimple! It's so horrible to my self esteem I can imagine how your son must feel. What do I use? Proactive! I've been using it for some time now and it works WONDERS! And although they say to use it day and night, I only use it in the morning. But for your son start by once in the morning and once at night. I know it's expensive, but you only have to use a tiny bit of the product each washing. I quit using it recently to try something different and I went back immediately because I got poor results from the other product.
Good luck!!!

The black in a blackhead is dirt. That is not to say he just needs to wash his face more. Over washing causes more oil, causing more breakouts. If you watch him, you may notice that he touches those areas (temples, nose, forehead)quite alot. He should stick to washing his face twice a day with something mild, but he should be washing his hands much more often. Hands carry all kinds of dirt and bacteria, especially teenage boy hands! (Sorry guys, but it's true!)

Another thing that worked for my girls is to start using a light moisturizer. I know this sounds like the last thing he needs, but washing strips all the natural oils from skin and if he doesn't replace it, his skin will compensate by producing even more oil.

My girls use skincare products from AVON's Mark line. They both like That's Deep cleanser. My 14 year old uses See Things Clearly moisturizer, but my 12 year old prefers For Goodness Face (which also has the benefit of SPF 30). Any AVON/Mark rep can get you samples. If you don't have anyone near you, send me a message and I will get samples to you. These are very popular, so I usually have samples on hand. If he likes them, you can order online with direct delivery, anytime at www.youravon.com/jselden

Remind him that washing his hands is just as important as washing his face when it comes to combatting breakouts! :o)

two really simple things you can try for blackheads are

1. a clay mask a couple times a week - draws out impurities and sometimes even the blackhead itself;

2. increase water intake by a few cups a day.

good luck!

Try a black tar soap- I think Burt's Bee's makes one for men. You can get it at Target. I would be very careful about dermatological medication. I started to get acne around that age as well as my sisters, and everything we tried from Proactiv to pills didn't do us much good. You can try Proactiv. It's only $20. I would suggest a skin care that allows for exfoliation (and maybe some of those biore strips to clean out his pores on his nose once in a while) but also treats the skin delicately- keeps it moisturized (oil free!). I have been using what I call old lady cream since I was 12, and would never do it any differently. Men need similar skin care, especially when their hormones kick in. Also make sure he eats plenty of fruits and veggies and drinks alot of water. It is great he doesn't eat alot of junk. His hormones are out of control and that will cause his acne to flare, but at least it is only blackheads and not those really deep purplish pimples. I really believe a little exfoliation and some of those strips will help.
I hope this helps
-E. Mc

1 / 3