12 Year Old Son with Extreme Leg Pain. Growing Pains?!

Have any of you had kids with extreme leg/knee/muscle growing pains? We have visited our normal doctor, a orthopedic doctor, and my son even had an MRI to see if there was anything going on. Everything has come back negative. Doc's keep saying it's growing pains. I'm just surprised - nobody we know has kids that seem to suffer so badly. Day or night - and no other pattern I can see. It comes and goes over a period of a few days - and then disappears for months at a time. Any similar experiences out there...

Thank you for all of your suggestions and experiences. i wish I could say that I received a solution to the problem. My sons legs have not been hurting him in the last months. He is VERY active right now playing football and basketball. So I know with certainty activity is not the cause. I guess I will continue to assume that this is growing pains. But it's surprising to have him crying over it. These pains were only ever in his legs. Hot baths, Advil and taking it easy is what brings some relief when he's going through it. Maybe he's going to be taller than my 5'8" hubby :)

My 15 year old started to get growing pains at 12. They come and go. Most recently, he was having really "crushing" chest pains. It was hard for him to breath, cough and sneeze. We did pretty much the same thing, searching for answeres and nothing really came of it. The doctor prescribed nepraxin ( allieve) for pain. It took 3 weeks to calm down and he's finally better. He's also had back pain that put him down for a few days. It will pass.

I can't say I know for certain, but as a teen (and even as an adult) a lack of calcium has always caused severe leg cramps for me. It came and went all through puberty, but I finally had a doctor (when I was 21) who correctly diagnosed it. He gave me two shots of calcium, and the extreme pain was gone instantly.

I know females tend to be more susceptible to calcium deficiency, but it's worth a look. Be careful not to have him take calcium and iron at the same time, though... calcium will be absorbed, iron won't.

Also, is he really athletic? Intense activity contributes to the feelings... though the pain goes far beyond a simple muscle ache.

My step-son had them well into his teens. Sounds normal. I would start giving him some supplements of calcium and magnesium. Also add some potassium to his diet to see if this helps minimize the pain and occurance. Epsom Salts baths will help after any sports activities or active play. A quick fix we found was to use Hyland's Leg Cramps, it helps alleviate the pain in less than a minute and it puts magnesium into the body right where it hurts to help provide longer relief until supplements or a bath can help soothe things.

My husband had horrible growing pains when he was young (about 15)... He grew so fast over a short period of time.. He said the pain was unbearable at times in his legs. they ran tests on him back then and everything came back negative as well...

I would check for electrolytes for sure. The epsom salt is good I would reconsider taking a bath after exercise. Due to the fact that exercise causes trauma to muscle so you do not want to increase inflammation by applying heat (hot Bath).I know the hot bath feels good when your in it but I would apply ice 10 to 15 min on 5 off take inflammation away then maybe later on have a epsom salt bath make sure to apply ice after. Ibuprofen, good make sure taking it with food.Hard on your gut.

Froggyfitness

I give my Son Isotonic Calcium and Vitamin D with K2 in the am on an empty stomach and right before he goes to bed. i feel as that this is responsible for him getting relief. I got the supplements at my doctors office but you can also find them here: http://www.visionary-wellness.com. Hope you Son is on the mend real soon.

I honestly can't say if this is the reason, I'm just going on our son. My, now 16-year-old, son had horrible leg cramps as well. He's always been tall for his age. He's had the leg cramps when he was younger, but they really hit him hard in 6th/7th grade. By the time he turned 13 he was 6' tall. At one point he had grown 3 1/2 inches in 2 and 1/2 months. We had to take him to the doctors (for something not related to the leg pains) where they took his measurements, then we came back for a follow-up and the nurse was quite shocked and remeasured him.

He used to have a hard time learning how to control his body, since he grew so quick (think back to when you're pregnant and you still think you can fit behind a chair, but realize that no, the belly has grown, or your not as stable as you once were). He was kind of klutzy. His feet grew so much the poor kid had a hard time walking down the stairs. I used to think he was messing around when he would slip down the stairs. It wasn't until I had him put his foot on the stair that I realized half the ball of his foot and his toes hang over.

His leg cramps seem to have tapered off and he doesn't appear to be growing in height anymore, I think he was an early bloomer, but he grew fast. We just chalked it up to growing too fast. Again, I wouldn't count on that being medically correct, it was just our theory. When he would get the cramps he discovered it helped if I kneeded his calves. That's where the pain was the worst. His thighs just ached and we would give him advil for that.

Sorry I wasn't more help, hope that you get some great ideas for him.

My youngest son get pains in his legs. He has mild CP, and his muscles tend to be tight on his left side. He is active and scateboards, ice skates, and does everything a 13yo should do.
This is how we deal with the times his legs hurt. We stretch, stretch, stretch.... Get into the habit of stretching several times a day. This will help the muscles keep up with the bone growth. Then when he does have leg cramps we make sure he's getting enough calcium. I recommend a liquid calcium with magnesium in it. Then last but not least, we do massage on the areas afflicted. Sometimes I have a LMT work on it, other times I do the work myself. This helps my son greatly and he rarely wakes up at night hurting. Good luck!

Sounds like the growing pains my son-in-law experienced during growth spurts from toddlerhood through his teens. Usually they are more common at night, though. That's when bone growth happens, and surrounding tissue must stretch to accomodate.

Since your son also has them during the day, he may need extra massage, warm or cold packs on the achy places. Stretching excersises may help. And ibuprofen or acetaminophen would probably relieve some of the pain.

It would be interesting to track his growth, and see whether he's gaining altitude during these episodes.

1 / 3