12 Month Old Refuses to Eat Solids Just Wants Formula

Hello all, I am having a real struggle to get my 12 month old to eat pureed or solid foods. I have tried all brands and types and he only grazes very lightly and then refuses to eat anymore. I sit him in his high chair for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and provide an a.m. and p.m. snack. All my friends and family tell me that he should be eating more. I have talked to his pediatrician and she told me to just keep trying. Right now he takes about 6- 4 oz bottles a day.

Any suggestions or feedback from moms who have gone through the same would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all your wonderful responses! I cut back on the formula as several moms suggested and substituted whole milk instead and it worked! He now eats whatever we're eating and he loves finger foods from the Gerber Toddler line. He's not eating tons of food but his appetite has increased substantially. You all are the BEST!

I agree that you shouldn't push it. He'll come around when he's ready. Just keep offering it. DD prefers to graze instead of being cooped up in her high chair, so maybe try to feed him in different locations than the high chair?

My friends 12mo old has the same issue.
Her pediatrician (who wrote some kind of 411 book for babies) said give him less milk and he will eat more.

HAve you tried toddler types of food? If he still doesn't want it then just gove him what he wants! His body will tell him when to have his veggies and fruits.

Hello M.,
Some babies don’t seem to take a liking to store-bought baby food. I have been successful with two different methods to make the change from an all liquid diet to pureed or solid foods easier. Method one: I added some of the (store-bought or home-made) baby puree to the bottle with the formula. Shake gently until well mixed with the milk. Also make sure, that the hole of the nipple is the right size (just big enough for the mixture to pass through). Method two: Steam fresh or frozen veggies in a steamer and puree with baby mixer or handheld puree appliance. Good luck with it! E.

My daughter was similar. A solution working for me was a special bottle - it was short and stubby, wider around then a standard sized one. It had a special nipple with an "X" criss cross sliced at the top instead of the normal dot and specifically was for baby food. I started with forumla mixed with baby food deyhydrated cereal flakes. I gradually thickened it while extending it with baby food mixed in. This was 16 yrs ago but I did have this problem and this solved it. Once she adjusted to the texture, we graduated to the spoon.

If this doesnt go over as well at first, you could consider temporarily including something sweet like applesauce to sweeten the introduction. Good luck!

I agree with the others- try finger foods! He might prefer to feed himself. He might have a problem swallowing food or a problem with the textures (I have a friend whose son is almost two and still not eating) You might want to make an apt with your local early Childhood Intervention and see what they think. If it's a sensitivity to textures that can be helped with therapy (and ECI is generally free!)

S. (mom to four girls, two sensory sensitive.)

Sounds fairly normal to me. About two jars at each meal. Have you started offering him solid food from the table? He might be more interested in what the grownups are eating. Fresh fruits, steamed veggies, whole grain breads, real meats, chicken, pork or beef were on my little ones diet in small proportions when they quit babyfood. Until he is off the formula, he is getting the nutirents he needs from it. Relax a little more and make mealtime fun, he can tell when you are upset and that could make him want to eat less.

One one last note, he might just be a picky eater and that is ok too. I have a 25 year old cousin who still lives off of bread, pasta, and potatoes. Really, that is ALL she will eat. No fruit, no veggies, no meat. She is healthy and expecting her first child. He knows what he likes, he knows what he wants and there is not a lot more than offering choices that can even help.

Hi M.! My now 13 year old was the same way. We tried offering food to him but he really only wanted his bottle. As long as your son is growing and "thriving" then I wouldn't worry about it. Even on only formula, my son was in the 100th percentile on weight and height. I have an 8 month old son now, who is not really eating all that much food either and like you my family and friends keep telling me the same thing. I wouldn't worry until your doctor starts to worry. Just keep trying and remember that he is getting all the nutrients that he needs from the formula.

Jen

I agree with Valerie, start giving him some finger food that he can feed himself with. Both my boys stopped wanting the baby food around their first birthday and would only self feed or eat what we eat.

Also remember that their appetite slows down a little bit now. You will probably find that some days he'll eat a ton and others he will just eat a little. That is fine, it's what they eat over several days that counts, not each day alone. Also remember, it doesn't take much for little ones to get what they need. Offer him good food before he get the bottle or sippy cup and he will eat when he is hungry!!

Good luck!!

My pedi told me at my sons 1 year visit that he might not eat nearly as much as he was. To just try to feed him as normal and let him eat just as much as he does. Not to try to force more. She also stressed to not suplement with bottles or milk. To give him his normal intake of milk. 2 - 8 oz bottles a day, with water and juice with snacks. Both my kids are grazers. One is 10 and never sick, good weight, very healthy. The other is 13 months and everyone thinks he is 2. He has never been sick really. Just the sniffles. They will grow out of it. Just let him eat how he wants. It's normal at this age.

1 / 3