13 answers

12 Hour Shifts and Childcare

I work 12 hour night shifts at hospital. Recently my very reliable childcare abandoned me. Help! what do single people do when they dont have friends or family to help with childcare?

What can I do next?

Featured Answers

I have known single mom's who move in together and share childcare and a babysitter. It's a pain, but until they start school there aren't many other options.

More Answers

Neighbors, and an add in Cregslist

I have known single mom's who move in together and share childcare and a babysitter. It's a pain, but until they start school there aren't many other options.

I'm sorry I don't have much advice for you except to put ads in paper and ask around of people at work. Since they work the same shift as you, maybe they will have some recommendations. Also, maybe try your local DHS office. They might have listings of licensed providers.

GL! I'm in the same boat as you and it stinks not having other daycare options than the traditional daytime hours one in our very small town.

Ditto on Craigslist. I've done 24/7 for 24 years. I'm sure others are out there. In fact, I get a little tired of people saying it's hard to find when I've been here, never missed a day, and advertise frequently. Most people I run into call and ask about location and price before anything else and many of them just don't want to know anything about me and the phone call is over if they don't like those first 2 answers.

Try to find what is called a Large Family Daycare. They generally do 24/7 care, tho they are not always full at all times. They are usually in someone's home too, and I think they must be State Licensed... Coordinated Childcare (if in your area) can give you a list of such daycares in your zipcode or the hospital's zipcode.

Good Luck!

you could also check out www.sittercity.com It's a place where sitters advertise their services and you can read through profiles based on your area/needs. Might at least give you some leads.

honestly, you end up paying alot more. just find a reputable person with references, experience, a car, ect, but be prepared that night time watching and 12 hours at once are going to cost a great deal more than traditional times. good luck

Have you considered getting a nanny? The cost can be the same if not less, and your child would be able to stay at your home. Just a thought.

That's a hard question. Most child care facilities consider 9 hours to be a full day and charge extra for the hours over that. It must be really hard to find someone to help out every day.

I think I would not try someone I didn't know or that wasn't licensed by your state child care agency. It's a big bad scary world out there and our little ones are defenseless. Keep trying to find someone you know or that someone already uses.

Ask your co-workers for references. Good luck!

look on Craigslist, when I did inhome childcare I offered 12 hour shifts/overnight........

Have you found anybody to help you? Hopefully you will soon.

I used to babysit weekly for a single mom with 2 kids who did 12 hour overnight shifts as a nurse. I met her through a woman I was in grad. school with. Talk to your friends/co-workers and ask if they know anyone who might be interested in babysitting. Ask your co-workers where they take their kids. Good luck!

Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.