12 Hour Shifts and Childcare

I work 12 hour night shifts at hospital. Recently my very reliable childcare abandoned me. Help! what do single people do when they dont have friends or family to help with childcare?

I have known single mom's who move in together and share childcare and a babysitter. It's a pain, but until they start school there aren't many other options.

Neighbors, and an add in Cregslist

I'm sorry I don't have much advice for you except to put ads in paper and ask around of people at work. Since they work the same shift as you, maybe they will have some recommendations. Also, maybe try your local DHS office. They might have listings of licensed providers.

GL! I'm in the same boat as you and it stinks not having other daycare options than the traditional daytime hours one in our very small town.

Ditto on Craigslist. I've done 24/7 for 24 years. I'm sure others are out there. In fact, I get a little tired of people saying it's hard to find when I've been here, never missed a day, and advertise frequently. Most people I run into call and ask about location and price before anything else and many of them just don't want to know anything about me and the phone call is over if they don't like those first 2 answers.

Try to find what is called a Large Family Daycare. They generally do 24/7 care, tho they are not always full at all times. They are usually in someone's home too, and I think they must be State Licensed... Coordinated Childcare (if in your area) can give you a list of such daycares in your zipcode or the hospital's zipcode.

you could also check out www.sittercity.com It's a place where sitters advertise their services and you can read through profiles based on your area/needs. Might at least give you some leads.

honestly, you end up paying alot more. just find a reputable person with references, experience, a car, ect, but be prepared that night time watching and 12 hours at once are going to cost a great deal more than traditional times. good luck

Have you considered getting a nanny? The cost can be the same if not less, and your child would be able to stay at your home. Just a thought.

1 / 3