11 Year Old Using a Tampon

My 11 YO is on a swim team and would like to swim while she's on per period but is finding a tampon to be hard to use. I can't think of any alternatives that could use while swimming. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Get her a tube of KY Jelly. Just the regular non warming stuff is the best. Lube the applicator before having her try it. Also, try the name brand ultra-slim tampons. When I was young my best friend went into the bathroom with me and while we were fully clothed showed me how to position myself and where the hole was. ;-) She was sweet and private about it. It was the nicest thing she ever did for me. One try after that and I had it.

My daughter (13) just tried tampons for the first time. She wanted to swim also. We use the playtex sport. They seem to be easier to slide in. She may be nervous...she is so little :(

There are no other good alternatives (the cups are almost impossible to use until you've had sex)... BUT DO make sure she's using the tampon correctly. For my whole first year I was inserting just an inch (instead of all the way up the applicator) and then plunging. It hurts to do that, and the tampon doesn't sit high enough... so it dries you out and makes you really uncomfortable and moves around.

My 15 yr old has used tampons since she started her period around 12.

She used Playtex slender for a long time and a couple months ago, I could not find them so I got the Tampax Pearl and she loves this one.

I agree with a poster who suggested to make sure she is doing it correctly (use the instructions) and maybe putting a little KY or Vaseline on it to help with lube.

The OB tampons might be user friendly... since you insert it with your finger... instead of an applicator... then she can guide it/put it in by feeling her body etc., and have more control putting it in, perhaps.
Personally, I don't like applicators...

all the best,
Susan

I understand !! I have a 12 yr old and just started using tampons. Maybe try using a smaller type like KOTEX or sports kinds . Does she know how to put it in right? My daughter did'nt like it at first but it's better then those pads .

Has she tried a non-applicator tampon like ob? I know some girls/women think it is a little gross, but I find that they are shorter and much more comfortable. It is easier for me to get it into the right position and I've been using them since very nearly the beginning of my period (12 years old).

Another alternative is something called a Diva Cup. Not less gross per se than an applicator-free tampon, but I know some women swear by them. I've even considered it myself. It might be difficult for a young girl to maneuver.

Make sure she is putting it in right. I was raised by my father and was never taught. If she is pushing it up after inserting instead of towards the back then it will feel like and does come out.

1 / 3