11 Year Old Daughter with Shingles....

My daughter just keeps getting the short end of the stick!

She has a history of asthma & cronic ear infections, then we discover the celiac, NOW... shingles? I didnt even know that children could get them...

Does anyone have advice? We have been doing the benadril & advil every 6 hours and the calamine lotion a lot to help dry things. The pain seems to be what we cant get under control. I also hear the pain for last for years! HELP!1 I just want this baby girl to feel better..

just wanted to send a thank you to all that offered advice. Oh, and to answer the questions out there, My daughter had chicken pox when she was about 8 months old, which from what I understand, makes her prone to shingles.

We had actually gone to the Dr and thats who gave us a shingles diagnosis, however, they would not give her an anti viral meds, nor pain meds because they said we had to catch it beore it turned into shingles... *eye roll* whatever. They also did not recomend a Tens unit in a child, whiuch was greek to me since I work with spinal cord injury patients of all ages and all use a Tens. We took things into our own hands and mixed both Easter and Western medicine.

What worked AWESOME for us was to make a tea with Horsetail root and let is cool enough to use a rag as a compress on the infected area 2 times a day for 30 minutes each, changing out the cloth several times in the 30 minutes. She loves the way if feels, as it is very soothing, We use calamine lotion during the day, Oatmeal baths at night. We have been giving her Echinacea ea and 1/2 a clove of garlic everyday to boost her immune system. The few times after starting this treatment she actually had any pain or itching, we did Advil and Benadril. The Horse tooth really has done wonders and she is virtually pain free and the affected area is almost completly gone and we just started all this on Friday and its only Tuesday!!! Everything I read and have heard, this is way early for healing!! She says she is vertually pain free!! We will continue the Horsetooth until all leasions are heals and the garlic & echinacea for 2 weeks after just to make sure her imune system is high.

I guess I was stressed and didnt clerify her asthma and ear infections. Until she was 3, we could not get the ear infections under control and were faced with tubes in her ears, we moved her from a day care center and I uit working so I could be home with the kids and she gets 1 at the most a year now. The asthma... it doesnt flare up until she gets a cold, at which point its a critcal thing. We have inhalers and a nebulizer on hand in case of emergency. The celiac... wekll that we have no control of, she follows a gluten free diet with digestive enzimes & also takes DGL (licorice) and Aloe Vera Juice to keep the stomach & small intestine protected from accidention exposure. Her Celiac levels have dropped to where it doesnt show on her blood test anymore.

Thank you again for everything & I hope maybe some of our treatments may help others out there,

K. & Kids

I really feel for you. My mom has the shingles. At times it is so bad that she can hardly take it. But they come and go. She hasn't suffered from them in about a year.

K.,

The pain won't' last for years! But you can't control the pain because shingles grow right on her nerve endings. When I had them, no OTC pain meds helped,and probably no prescription (I didn't try that.) Then they just went away after a few weeks. But the pain was only bad for a few days when I had them.

Hope this helps,

Yes, I agree with the previous post. My hubby had them when he was 33 and really stressed at work. Please see a doc. They will give you meds for the pain and Valtrex (my hubby got Valtrex). Maybe there is something else on the market like the previous poster said.

I had shingles when I was 16,due to twisting my ankle and being stressed and over doing life,even tho I was in great shape, being a gymnast.I still got shingles. I am now 41 and they couldn't belive someone so young could get shingles. I was not given any meds or steroides like they give now days. The pain was bad but warm baths with wash cloth on the areas with an oatmeal bath helped. The only time it gets resl scary is when the path of shingles gets close to the eye. I also heard it can run in famlies. My sister had it @14 and my dad latter in life. We have had no pain in the following years. yet, a year after I did feel some small shooting pain in some areas of the nurves. The pain is bad, but not unbarable (for me at least) Good Luck and just let your daughter know she will get through it. Let her get lots of sleep and drink lots of water.

When I got them I was put on a steroid treatment for four days. It helped tremendously! I have never heard of benadril or advil doing the trick. Get her into the DR!
Shingles is the chicken pox virus, so if she has had the virus it can lay dormant in her system. A number of things can trigger it to come about. Mine was from lack of sleep and stress (just had a baby then). Did she have her chicken pox vaccine? They are trying to come up with a shingle vaccine which I think would be a miracle as older adults getting them it can be very painful and damaging.
I have never heard of a young person get them, but if she has had the chicken pox she can get shingles and can get them again too.
Have you talked to your Dr about steroid treatment? It healed mine in a matter of days and made it much more bareable. I had it down my left thigh and couldn't even wear pants or anything touching it.
Hugs, God Bless!

Hi - Definitely get to the Doctor. Lysine pills help tremendously with shingles. Also cortisone cream helps the itch. Sounds like your daughter has some major allergy stuff going on, that may all be related. Follow some of the advice people here have given you. She needs a really thorough work up by someone who is familiar with allergy and immune issues. Good luck my dear, and blessings and healing to your poor little girl.

I had them about that age. The good thing was it was during the two week vacation of winter holiday. i wore a satin nightgown all day and no undies. Then I had Calamine Lotion and warm oatmeal bathes. It took maybe a week on the medication form the doctor and then another to full heal the soars. But I remember it hurt horribly.

Get to the doctor if you haven't already! My sister had them when she was 14 & in high school. She was out of school for 3 weeks. My great-grandmother used to get them all the time; except hers was under the skin. And, no joke here, I actually have them now. I'm serious. The pain is horrible, I'd say worse than childbirth. Anyone can get them, esp. if your immunity is down already. And you can get them more than once. My hip hurt for 3 days before the rash appeared, and it took almost 2 weeks to blister and crust over. Supposedly once the crusting starts than you are not contag. anymore. Just have her stay away form preg women, newborns or anyone on chemo, etc. or anyone who hasn't had the chicken pox or the chickenpox vaccine. They say that, but really the only way you can spread it is when someone touches it. And have her keep it covered. If you look it up on mayoclinic.com than it should answer any questions; it's a really good site for this. She needs to be on Famvir (it's better than Zovirax and Valtrex) to stop the spreading. If she has over 21 sores than she can so on prednisone. This is more for preventative measures (to prevent postherpetic neuralgia: the pain that you are referring to later in life). I had 41 sores, and chose not to go on the prednisone because I was too worried about the side effects. They also might want to give her meds for the pain. Over the last 2 weeks I have been extremely weak and tired; just laying around w my ice pack. For what it's worth, my sister-now in her mid 30's has never had any pain @ or around the shingles site. Good luck.

Ditto. She needs an RX for that pain, poor thing.

Hello,
I am a stay at home mom,and a district manager with Arbonne International. Which is a health and wellness company. We have a remarkable body set that would help heal your daughters skin condition. If you are interested please let me know. We could meet or I could mail you a sample.
L. O.

1 / 3