11 Year Old Daughter Is Getting Acne

My daughter has begun to get little bumps on her face. A few blackheads and some pimples, as well. I'm wondering about what products might be best for her young skin. I want something that will work, but that won't be too harsh for her. The bigger pimples have been popping up on her cheeks right in front for the whole world to see, and some of the smaller ones are in clusters on her forehead near and in the hairline.

B. we had the same problem with my daughter and we tried all the over the counter remedies that you could think of and then overheard someone say they found excellent results through a dermatologist. Well, let me tell you, he was able to clear up her acne so well that I wish I had thought of that route so much sooner. Best of luck. M.

My husband has very sensitive skin, but also gets acne, and he's had good luck with Zap-It. It doesn't dry his skin out the ways some peroxide washes do, but it does fight off the acne well. We order it online. Let me know if you need a link!

Hi B.,

Most likely this is hormonal changes bringing the pimples to your beautiful girl's face! What's her diet like? Avoiding refined foods is a good start and eating plenty of fresh, whole foods like fruits, veggies, whole grains and water!!
A gentle sugar scrub may be nice for her. I happen to make these for my organic herbal business. My sugar scrubs consist of organic sugars, organic castile soap, vegan oils, honey and org. essential oils an herbs.
Or you can try making your own gentle scrub with finely ground oatmeal (in the blender) mixed with some nourishing clay like bentonite or kaolin white clay. Add several drops of lavender and tea tree oil, mix well. Store in an airtight jar and when ready to use, mix about 1 tsp of mixture with a small amount of water and honey and have her massage her face, rinse and pat dry!
There are many options for her other than store bought, chemical laden washes! She can do facial steams to open and cleanse pores. Just boil some water, pour in a large bowl and have her put her face over the bowl with her head covered by a towel and let the steam do it's job. If you have any fresh or dried herbs to throw in, that would be nice too. Rosemary, mint, lavender...

Warmly,
www.lostrivernaturals.com
Handcrafted Herbal Organics

My daughter, who just turned 12, has the same problem. We have been using a Burt Bees product - I can't remember the exact name, but it is a roll-on (no bees wax) that you just use where you are having problems. I got it at Wal-mart for about $7.00 and it has lasted several months. It has a strong smell but she got used to it pretty quickly. It dries up pimples almost overnight, and she has started using it around her hairline as well for prevention.

Also, as many others mentioned, make sure she washed her face morning and night. I have my daughter use a washcloth which gives a little bit of exfoliation but nothing too harsh.

Hi B.,

I agree with Amy that the Zap-it is great. Both of my teenage girls use it (and me occasionally). Other than that, watch her diet closely. Her hormones are beginning to kick in but with good nutrition, NO sodas or those "healthy" fruit drinks with 70+ grams of sugar, arrrgggh, and with good fats instead of bad ones, the outbreaks should be mild and less frequent.

God bless and like my mom said "this too shall pass" :)

www.squidoo.com/ifyourbabycouldtalk

I would try proactive, before ever going to a dermatoligist. It is hormones and they take there course. Lots of time they'll give you a med and this made my skin like alligator skin. Proactive is a 3 step program, cleanse, tone and then the 3rd step is what really works. They also have a mask that you can dab on the breakouts and leave it overnight and lots of time it'll clear up. Just give it a week or so to start seeing results.
Best of luch.

Hi B.,

Good for you Girls is a mild, natural product that is specifically made for teenage girls. If you're looking for something that is not harsh and good for the skin as well, I would suggest trying it. Please let me know if you need any more info. Best of luck!

Arbonne has really great Acne products and I swear by the stuff. It improved a good friend's teenage daughter to the point where no one knew she ever had acne. You can go on their website or I can put you in touch with my consultant to learn more. The great thing is they use no rendering products in their line, no cancerous materials like some other companies. I'm not a consultant for them, have nothing to gain by sharing but no other product line touches my six-year-olds but Arbonne.

Great day!! I suggest Mary Kay Classic basic Formula 3 products for acne-prone skin. They are hypoallergenic, noncomedogenic and safe for sensitive skin. They are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee if you are not pleased, and they can be customized if anything seems to be too strong for her. If she does not like separate steps, then I suggest the Velocity skin-care (It is a 3-in-1 cleanser/toner/gentle exfoliator and moisturizer), which is also for people with acne. Velocity is why I fell in love with Mary Kay products at 19 when I was about to graduate from the College of Charleston!!

Check it out (and the video for part-time self-employment):
www.marykay.com/evance
###-###-####-7230 or toll-free 866-536-1899

E. Vance-Brown,
Ind. Mary Kay Sales Director
America's #1 Selling Brand of Skincare and Color Cosmetics

I usually recommend to my clients to use tea tree oil.You can apply it topically or mix it with aloe vera gel for a calming effect to the skin. Also colloidal silver is excellent for acne issues, you can get silver gel at Nature's Sunshine (http://www.mynsp.com/mapothecary)

1 / 3