11 Year Old Bedwetting

My 11 year old son is frequently wetting the bed still. I have discussed this with my doctor and she deemed that his bladder is still underdeveloped. This was 2 years ago and it is still happening. I have bought him overnight protective underware and we make sure that he goes to the bathroom before bed, but he is sleeping very hard and will not wake up when he feels the sensation to urinate. Does anyone have any advice or ideas? Should I seek a second opinion from another doctor?

My son is 9 and wets the bed. The doctor gave him meds but they didnt work. I wet the bed until I was 15 and my brother did it till 13. It is just something that he will outgrow. Bedwetting alarms are a waste of money. One thing I did was waited until I could hold it no longer. It did help to stretch my bladder a bit. I can now hold it forever. :) I would wait it out and he will outgrow it.

My step brother was 11 and still wetting the bed his mom and my dad took him to be hypmotized to sleep lighter and it worked for him. Goodluck! just so you know it can be very common I hear it a lot from my daycare parents.

My son is almost 8 and we've been having this off and on. I also bought the goodnights and make him wear them once in awhile. My son was a premie so I figure he is underdeveloped. He also sleeps hard. I can go in there and poke and prod him and he just stirs. I've woken him up in the past to make him pee but that was very hard. I do ask him to stop drinking after 7pm.
He has gone awhile without the underwear, and i am hoping he hasnt' lied to me about wetting the bed.

When I was still working in medical insurance I use to see request for a bedwetting alarm. I have heard that they can help. I am not sure how load the alarm is but it might be something worth looking into.

Im 11 and i came home sick and wet the bed and this has been going on for a while only my mom knows about it should i get pull up diapers

My sister wet the bed until she was 14. My parents took her to a uroligist who gave her some sort of medication and gave my parents and her a training regiment where they would wake her up every couple of hours to go to the restroom slowly stretching the times out to help train the bladder. In any case I would seek a second opinion.
R.

Hi K., First of all, there is probably nothing wrong with your son at all. Night wetting is not an unusual problem for older children. It is just not something most of us talk about. I have a 13 yr. old who still has issues with bedwetting. (he'd just die if he knew I told). We first asked our Prediatrician, they told us the exact same thing they told you! Then as my son started puberty we decided to persue the issue with a urologist. We wanted to just make sure there really wasn't something wrong. My son had an ultrasound and and x-ray, not to mention a visual exam of his parts. One thing that the x-ray showed was that his colon was very full (of poop)and enlarged. They said his wetting may be caused by the colon pushing on the bladder at night. They gave him a bunch of laxatives so he'd have loose bowels for a week or so to shrink the colon back down. We sort of did it half-heartedly. I thought that was just plain stupid as my son is also a seriously heavy sleeper. We started making sure he was pooping every day, which he was, and didn't take that any further. Then I asked a bunch of other people about the subject and here is what we have found helps... no caffine after lunch, limit sugar and drinks after dinner, and making sure he is sleeping as long as he needs. If waking him up in the morning is difficult, then he probably isn't getting enough sleep. Kids this age sometimes need 12 hours. We tried getting him up at night to go, and that sometimes helped, but usually not. He'd get up at about 1 am, use the bathroom, go back to bed, and be wet by 3 am. I have no idea if any of this info will be helpful, I feel like I am rattling on and on. Good Luck, you are not alone!

I had this same problem growing up, as did my father and my brother -- I guess weak underdeveloped bladders are hereditary! Anyway, my 10 year old daughter also is a bedwetter. Her doctor said the same thing as yours, but she wrote us a prescription for desmopressin. She takes 1 or 2 nightly (1 if we're at home, 2 if she's sleeping away just for the extra security it gives her) and she doesn't have an accident. We've tried stopping the medication every six months or so for a week at a time to see if her bladder has "caught up" yet. No luck as of now, but I'm so grateful for the medication -- less laundry for me and more confidence for her. See what your doctor thinks -- good luck!

1 / 3