11 Weeks Pregnant with Terrible Headaches

I am 11 weeks preg and I have had a headache for almost an entire week. Twice I have had blurred vision. I have never had headaches before now. I went to the doctor friday he said I just needed rest. That doesnt seem to help either. Im just curious has anyone else done this?

I had a few really bad headaches with my second pregnancy, my doctor suggested I eat more protein when I get the headaches. It helped me, maybe it would help you.- A.

Hello and congratulations! I am sorry to hear about the headaches but it is pretty common. I have always had a history of migrains but they were much more severe and often when I was pregnant. It has a lot to do with hormones and stress. I don't know your situation but if there is anything at all that might be stressing you....try to deal with it or let it go. It made a world of difference for me. The severe migrains is actually how I knew that I was pregnant the second time. Hopefully this will be of some help.

I will also pray for your relief from this pain.

I know how you feel and I'm sorry. I had horrible headaches with both of my children. In fact the headaches were how I knew I was pregnant the second time. The blurry vision came along with them.

Like you I never had headaches before I got pregnant.

My doctor told me they were due to the increased blood flow and production. He recommened taking Tylonol PM at night. I slept alot better and they got better after about the 20 week of pregnancy. The Tylonol PM just helps you sleep and you can't get addicted to it and it wont hurt the baby.

In a pregnancy it is hard to tell what causes the headaches. As you can tell from the many responses there are different remedies for the headaches. With my second child I had severe headaches that put me in bed for several days at a time. It hurt to move. I was really stressed out and ended up having to get on an anti-depression medication that worked wonders. With my third child I had the blurred vision. At first I didn't know what was going on, I would get dizzy and my vision would get blurry and then go black. Someone told me when that happens to eat a banana. It really helped, from that point on I made sure to eat at least one banana a day and the blurred visions stopped. Also for both of those pregnancies I had gestational diabetes. This may have had something to do with the headaches and blurred vision, but I am not sure. There are so many things that have headaches and blurred vision as symptoms, so it can be hard to diagnose. My suggestion is to tell your doctor that you want to be tested for everything that can cause those problems. Sometimes the doctors just don't want to go through all the testing so you might have to be persuasive. I hope this helps and I wish you a healthy and happy pregnancy.

I have two children and another on the way. Instead of morning sickness, I get headaches. The headaches can be so bad, but unfortunately, I am only allowed Tylenol. My doctor said I could take Ibuprofen up until 20 weeks (Tylenol doesn't work all that well for me). Just take what your doctor says you can and try to get some rest - try to take a nap when you have a headache - if you can. The washclothe on your forehead could help too. Just keep your doctor informed. For me, it took about 3 months before they went away, but I am 25 weeks and I still get them. Hang in there!

D.,
It sounds more serious to me than just take some tylenol and get some rest. I would be concerned. Your blood pressure could be high. You could have low blood sugar or it may just be that your body hasn't adjusted to the hormone level. I had a headache once or twice while I was pregnant but I did take tylenol and it went away but you had one for a whole week and your vision is blurred. I would keep a check on your blood pressure and have your blood sugar tested. Could be nothing but then it might be something. I wouldn't take a chance. I found this on the internet....

Potential Ways to Treat Your Headaches

* Some headaches are triggered by low blood sugar. You can prevent any bouts of decreased blood sugar by not missing meals and carrying high-energy snacks with you.
* Drink plenty of water - dehydration can cause headaches.
* Whenever possible, avoid loud music, noisy restaurants, packed parties and crowded department stores.
* Ensure your environment is healthy. An overheated, smoke-filled unventilated room can trigger some people's headaches. Also, make sure that your home and workspace have adequate natural lighting.
* Try going out for a brisk walk.
* Rest (but not too much, sometimes too much rest can worsen your overall symptoms)!
* Meditation and yoga are two ways to help you relax and decrease the effects of tension headaches.
* Try lying down in a dark quiet room with your feet up for ten to 15 minutes.
* Acupuncture, biofeedback and massage have been show to bring some relief from a headache.
* Alternating hot and cold compresses to the aching area for ten minutes can alleviate some of your pain.
* Cut a lemon into wedges and suck the juice out of the wedges.
* It's a good idea to avoid taking any kind of drugs while pregnant. However, if your practitioner recommends it, a paracetemol is OK but limit the number you take.

Hope it helps. I would find another doctor if the one you have is not doing all they can. And it just my opinion but a female doctor is much better than a male doctor. It's a long story but I've been through about 6 male doctors before I found the one that I go to now. She is wonderful.

Good Morning D.~

I had never had a headache really until I got pregnant. Then I got migrains, and they actually gave me migrain medicine. I ended up with pre-eclampsia (I don't think I spelled it right), where I had to have ultra sounds done three times a week. The stress of my headache caused stress to my baby. So if your headaches are bothering you, you definitly need to have it checked out...naturpaths are great when it comes to being pregnant...they can help you with all natural cures instead of putting medications into your body, which I didn't know about until after the fact. If you have any questions, please contact me. Thanks and good luck sweetie.

I never had headaches. In fact I felt better pregnant than I have ever felt in my life. But.... I have heard of people doing things like that and end up having a stroke because their blood pressure is so high. If it continues, keep calling or go to his office and get them to check your BP. Stay on them until they listen. In the mean time, drink lots of water and lay down and rest as much as possible.
Just don't let it go on too terribly long. It could be other things too.....as simple as hormone release and your body isn't use to it so you get a little head ache until your body adjusts.

I know when i was pregnant this was the first thing i noticed. My headaches wouldnt go away and i never got them before either. I would just get a cold cloth and put over my head, and i know i did alot of resting and it did help some but not all the way. I feel for ya its hard to rest especially when you have an older child. Hopefully they will end soon. Best wishes.

1 / 3