11 Months Too Early for Cow's Milk?

My baby is turning 11 months old in a few days and I was wondering if anyone out there has switched their baby from formula to cow's milk at this age. The Pediatrician did suggest we should wait until he is 12 months old but he drinks so much formula (9oz five times a day)it has gotten to be quite expensive. He is a very good eater and eats a variety of foods and he also drinks nursery water on occassion. Can I start with the cow's milk a month early, or should I wait it out?

I know you got enough responses. Just for fun though . When I was born my mom gave me formula . Tried every kind they had then (i am 42 now) and I threw ALL of them up and doctor said to give me whole cows milk and I was fine!!! Funny huh I only drank that.

I switched both of my daughters at 11 months and they were fine :) I would go for it. Formula is SO expensive. We started by using 1/4 bottle cows milk and 3/4 formula, then moved to 1/2 cows milk and 1/2 formula, and so on, until they were fine with a full bottle of cows milk. Hope this helps!

I started to transition my daughter to cow's milk at 11 months. She was on cow's milk only by 12 months but it does take them awhile to adjust to the taste so I would start now and wean you little one off the formula.

I actually started my daughter (who is now almost 13 months old) on cow's milk at 11 months old. Everytime she played with one of her friends, who is about six weeks older, she would always try to drink the milk from his cup. Since she was showing such interest I just went ahead and switched her to milk and at the same time took her completely off the bottle as well-previously she had been using a cup and bottle. Anyway she tolerated the switch to cow's milk just fine and my pedatrician did not seem concerned when I told her at my daughter's one year check up that she had been on cow's milk for the past month. She just said my daughter should not be drinking more than 16 ounces (I believe she said 16 oz but check with your pediatrician) per day. My daughter does drink whole milk and not the reduced percent milks. Hope this helps!

Unless there is a medical or dietary reason that you didn't mention, you should be good to give him a feeding or two of cows milk now. I wouldn't suggest switching all at once though...maybe one feeding for a few days, then two, then three etc. That way, if it is too much for him he doesn't have a lot in his system too quickly.

When my son was 11 months old, my pediatrician had told me to start mixing the bottles but he didn't like it that way. I had to give a bottle of one or the other at a time...he would take either one by itself but not mixed together. With my daughter, he said wait until she was 1 year. I started giving her some milk here and there just before that. Both had no problems.

I waited the full 12 months to switch my oldest over but my youngest I started at about 11 1/2 months. Both times though I started by doing 1/4 milk 3/4 formula for a few days, then increased to 1/2 and 1/2, then 3/4 and 1/4 and finally straight milk. It took probably about a week and a half to two weeks to switch completely over. That way it's easier on baby's tummy and hopefully he won't have any problems with digestion.

My youngest picked up my older son's sippy cup and slurped it down at about 10 months, so I switched him too.

Hello, J., I suggest you switch him to Almond milk, and Rice milk. Do a little research on cows milk before you use it. Humans dont need cows milk, it may actually contribute to allergies and calcium loss. Good luck!

hi! 45 ounces of fomula a day is more than he needs! i bet it is expensive! have you tried giving him watered down juice for meals or just water? maybe he is just thirsty? I don't hink it would hurt to start transitioning to milk slowly a few weeks before his first bday, though. I really think juice or water a few times a day would be better though. Does he take a sippy cup? that may help too...

J., mom of 2 6 and 2

I started around 11 1/2 months, I don't know what a few more weeks would magically do. supposidely it is for digestion issues, but if he can digest it at 11 mo, then go for it (they eat yogurt way before a year and that is cows milk). Start slow and see how he tolerates it.

we started our son on cow's milk before he was 12 months, we just did a bottle a day at first, then upped it a little each week. we wanted to make sure he wouldn't have any issues or allergies before making the complete switch and it made sense to us. do what you feel is right.

1 / 3