11 Month Old Prescribed Pulmicort

My 11 month son who wheezes from time to time had a recheck on his ear infection today. Well he was wheezing today and the doctor prescribed Pulmicort to use in his nebulizer twice a day. We already use the albuterol as needed, but not on a regular basis. She said the Pulmicort would prevent asthma symptoms, even though she said he is not officially diagnosed as asthmatic because they do not diagnose asthma in children until they are two years of age. I am concerned about the Pulmicort because I have been doing research and have found that it can cause weight gain (because it is a steroid) and that it can damage teeth. I have also read that some people have had problems with their child's behavior and sleep while on it. I am not sure if the benefits outweigh the risks and side effects. She did say that she just wanted to use it through the spring time, but I am concerned about starting him on it. Does anyone know anything about this medicine or has anyone ever used it themselves or for their children?

I have a beautiful 17 month old son who was put on Pulmicort at 4 months old. At the age of 6 months he started seeing a pulmonologist, which started him on Quvar (another inhaled steroid). My son eats all the time but is actually in the 50th percentile for weight at his age. We have not had any problems with excessive weight gain or any problems with his teeth due to the inhaled steroids. If you are not seeing a pulmonologist I would suggest that you do. There may be other medications out there better suited for him. I hope that all goes well for you!

My 16mo old has been on pulmicort and xopenex since she had RSV at 3 months. We haven't noticed any significant changes in her weight she stays in the 75%, where she's been since she started formula (we had breastfeeding issues). It really does make a huge difference in preventing the symptoms, pulmicort is a maintence medication as where albuterol is a rescue medicine...chances are once you start the pulmicort you'll need the albuterol less. Albuterol is a steriod too...if I'm not mistaken its a stronger dose delivered faster into their system. We're hoping we can end breathing treatments in the spring and see how it goes. Good luck!

Oh-couple of things that have helped with the congestion is saline spray and wipes (Boogie Wipes @ Rite Aid) and Ocean gel (saline gel) on her nose at night. It helps prevent the crusty nose, and the spray helps the flush the mucus out!

Have you looked into the CAUSES of his asthma such as diet? Also having had asthma for over 15+ years and having a child who had severe asthma (caused by vaccinations) since we have been going to the chiropractor for he past 5 years neither of us has had an attack or needed to be on any medications. I'd rather go to the chiropractor for an adjustment then ever been on pulmicort again which caused a huge weight gain AND i had my first cavities ever in my life (all 6 of them) in the 2 years I was on pulmicort.

Hello, I all to familiar with your plight. My daughter was 3 months old when she contracted RSV. After that she did have respiratory problems for about 3.5 yrs. Her allergist/asthma doctor had her on this drug. She didn't gain weight but as far as the teeth, no real problems there either, (she has issues now, but mostly due to not brushing properly!) I had to give my child the Pulmicort and the Albuteral which I hated, the Albuteral made her so nervous and excitable. I was finally able to get her on Xopenex it does the same thing but doesn't have all the nasty side effects like Albuteral. I felt that after a time she didn't need it but her doctor wanted to keep her on it, so I got a second opinion and they agreed with me, she had pretty much grown out of it. She still from time to time gets some problems, but it's few and far between. She's 8 now, we just have to deal with the usual stuff during season changes.

Bottom line, make the decision that you feel is best. My child I feel is better now and the product did help her at the time.

Good luck to you.

Both my children have been on Pulmicort. My youngest started on it as an infant. They're both off it now and they're both diagnosed as asthmatic. My youngest used Xoponex instead of albuteral b/c the side effects are much less...and the steroid in the Pulmicort is very little...

I used to talk to a lot of moms and also nurses to discuss it. You're smart to ask about it.

Good luck...and the bottom line for me is that the meds worked and I'm very happy my children used them.

Unless something is life threatening I would never use a steroid. I was on them as a child and the damage done is almost impossible to reverse. One week on a steroid, even topically, does as much damage to bones, i.e. bone loss, as menopause does to a woman. You are correct about the teeth and it also messes with the hormones and the neurological system.

No one has symptoms like wheezing without some sort of trigger. The trigger can even be a small one if the immune system has been compromised. Detoxing your home will be very beneficial and the symptoms may even vanish permanently. I have seen it happen. If you're interested in detoxing, I'll be glad to give you more information. It is very simple and can be very inexpensive as well.

I received some interesting information about albuterol at the hospital the other day as well and will be glad to share that with you too.

God bless,

www.squidoo.com/ifyourbabycouldtalk

Hi L., I understand your concern. My daughter had a really bad case of bronchitis when she was 3 and she was prescribed it for 3 weeks. I was more concerned with the fact that she was having trouble breathing than the possible side effect of weight gain. By the way my daughter did not gain any weight when she was on it :) Also as you know pediatric dosage is always smaller doses than adult, so I wouldn't be overly concerned with weight gain and sleep problems. It does tend to speed up the heart rate but so does the Albuterol your child is already on. My daughter was also on Albuterol & Pulmicort. I can't recall any behavior problem eigher. Hope this helps. Have a blessed day!

Hello, my name is T. and I have a son that is now 3 and has been on Pulmicort for several years. He gets croup and has to use pulmicort and also xophenex (which is just like albuterol). My son did get diagnosed with asthma and I had to go and see a allergiest/asthma doctor to get diagnosed. If your son continues like this I would get him checked out by an allergiest. MY son has not had any problems with what you were talking about with the side effects. Spring time is when my sons flare up the most! I wish you luck with all this. If you have any more questions, please email me and I can try and help you. Also, if you live in the Gwinnett area, I have a great allergy/asthma doctor.

Hi- I am a mom and a pharmacist, I don't have personal experience with Pulmicort but can give you my professional opinion. Because Pulmicort is an inhaled steroid you are not going to experience the same effects as one taken orally and absorbed throughout the body- in other words, it is much safer. Also, I like how your pediatrician didn't label him with asthma and just mentioned using it for a season, short term use will also minimize any negative effects. Plus, he might grow out of it or it could be seasonal/allergy related.

However, it sounds like this was the first time she even noticed wheezing- as long as your child isn't having difficulty breathing or labored breathing, you might want to talk to your doctor about waiting a week or so to start it. Also, you could always take your son to a specialist- and Allergist or Pulmonologist for a second opinion.

Bottom line is that if your son needs his lungs opened up so that he can breathe better, then "yes" it is worth it to try Pulmicort. I would give it to my son if he needed it.

Hope that helps you think through it a little!

Does anyone in your house smoke? Smoking can cause or contribute to ear infections. Also you can cover the mattress and pillow with allergen covers and use a small hepa filter in his room or a large one in your house with hepa filters on your furnace.

1 / 3