11 Month Old and the Switch to Whole Milk

Hey Mama's,

I know people have asked this question but I can't seem to find the posts. My son will be 11 months old on Saturday and has been on table food for some time now. When is the best time to switch to whole milk and how much should I give him a day? My dr. didn't say when we went in for his 9 month appointment and I don't want to make an appointment to just talk about milk.
He takes a sippy with water very well, so I don't think the switch from bottle to sippy will be that bad. I would wait until our 1 year dr. appointment but I only have a 1/4 of a can of formula left (will last us another 2 weeks more than likely) and I don't really want to buy anymore. I just need some guidence as this is my first baby.

We switched from bottle to sippy and from formula to whole milk at 11 months. We never mixed milk and formula. We began by only offering milk in a sippy at meals, and once he had that down, switched the bed and morning routine. We had 2 days where he didn't take much of the milk, but after that, he got the idea that the formula wasn't coming back, and switched great!

I have a 14 month old, and when she was about 11 months I started to add whole milk into her bottles. In an 8oz bottle, I would first put 6oz of formula and 2oz of whole milk, then gradually add more milk and less formula. My daughter never hesitated about taking the whole milk. By her 1 year appt she was completely on whole milk, and drinking it out of a sippy cup in the mornings. I still give her a warm bottle at night, but we are slowly weeding that out as well. Hop e this helps.

Take care

Unless your son has had feeding or digestion problems, I do not see why you couldn't give him the milk one month early...I did. I ran out of formula and didnt want to spend the money to buy more if he wasnt even going to finish it, so I just went ahead and gave him milk. He was a bit hesitant at first, but if you warm it, they seem to like it better. Your son may not drink the recommended amount at first so just give him a few spoonfuls of plain whole yogurt every day so that he gets his calcium. :)

They say about a year you can switch them to whole milk. With my first and second one we didn't switch until after their 1st birthday. With my 3rd one we started at 11 months and that was a big no no from my dr but we had no milk allergys and she wanted to be like her big sisters. So I let her try a little early. She loves to drink her milk that is usually gone before her meal is done with. When we first started we would add a little chocolate syrup to their milk so they get a taste of it and gradually I put less and less until they were totally use to just milk it self. I think I did it over a week.

I started my kiddos on milk early, around 10-11 mo. If they were taking an 8 oz. bottle, I would give 1 oz. milk & 7 oz. formula for 1 week. Then the next week, 2 oz. milk & 6 oz. formula. So on & so forth until we phased out formula. I did this to make sure there was no allergy, which DID happen w/my 1st DD, so be watchful.

Take care

Hey J.! Gorgeous name, that's my daughters name!

Milk may suprise you... It did us... We were told to stay on formula longer then we'd expected... BUT if your son hasn't had any medical issues, or feeding complications, you probably are fine to switch. I would call your doctor, and leave a message on the nurses line (or however yours is set up) and ask. They may be able to look at his chart and determine one way or the other... I would always suggest the doctor because you don't want to have any suprises if you try it on his own. And NO don't take him to the doc just for that! We catch some silly virus every time we're in there so avoid that at all costs!

As for the sippy cup vs bottle. I know it seems odd but you may try a straw instead! Sippy cup is okay from time to time, but if you can get him to go to a regular every day straw you'll save yourself so much heartache! They learn so much, its better for their mouth because it actually helps them develop different muscles etc to help with speach, and they also learn how to drink without tipping the cup (over time but it does work!). I've seen kids of ALL ages still tipping the cup and making messes when they are older... This will avoid that as he gets older. Plus some kids have a really hard time getting off the sippy cup... Sure you have to supervise more of the drinking but in the long run I'm so glad we did that!

Now we don't have to have a sippy cup with us everywhere. We can just stick a straw in whatever we're drinking (bottle of water or cup of juice at the restraunt) and we're set..! That was a tip we got from ECI and its paid off big time!

As for the milk part, don't be suprised if he doesn't want MILK from something else! It took us a long time (in fact we're still working on it) to get her off the night time milk bottle. We're off the bottle now, but she doesn't gulp down a glass of milk like I'd hope! Loves water and juice and everything else but, there is something about milk that is different...

Just be prepared for it! Another thing I've learned was that they actually only need 2-3 servings of milk a day. So you can make that up with calcium rich OJ, cheese, yogart, stuff like that too. But that may be for when he's a little older... Get on the same page with your doctor is going to be your best bet... Find out if you can start milk now, and if so you can give that a good try until his 1 year check up and discuss everything in detail with your doc then!

Good luck! Glad to help!
~T.~

I switched my child at 11 months and she did fine. I think you are suppose to give around 24-32 oz a day, but I am not 100% sure.

my baby started drinking milk at 9 months. She was exclusivly breastfed until 8 months then started solids. Then at nine months we just started giving her milk at snacks and lunch. She is 10 months now and she still nurses twice per day, morn and eve. My pedi said no more than 16 ounces per day and offer the milk AFTER he has already eaten his meal, or else he may fill up on milk. I did not do any mixing with breastmilk and whole milk. She just drinks it staight out of the carton, in a sippy of course. She usually only drinks about 12 ounces. 4 ounce with morning snack. 4-6oz at lunch and 4oz in afternoon. All the while still eating all her solids and nursing morn and eve.

Well J.--- I am going to give you my advice, that others may have tried??? First, my son flat out quit taking formula at 7 mo and we had to switch him to whole milk---the pedi didn't like that and told me not to---but I wasn't going to starve my son. Second, My dtr had milk issues as a newborn so her pedi told me to mix 1/2 formula and 1/2 milk to see if she gets reaction--She told me to start that at about 10- 10 1/2 mo so we would know, so I think you could mix the two to see if he is okay, or just make the switch. I am sure he will be okay as long as he was taking reg formula and not Lacto-Free

I hope this helps. E.

1 / 3