10 Year Old W/ Stretch Marks??

My 10 year old daughter has what appears to be stretch marks on the side of one of her hips. Unlike the "normal" stretch marks that some of us moms have (vertical lines that run across our belly) as a result of growing too quickly during pregnancy, these are HORIZONTAL LINES that run in a vertical path up the side of her hip. She's got about 6 of them, varying in length from 1/2 - 2 inches each. They're purplish in color, and have the "feel" of stretch marks when you run your finger across them. She says she's had them for about 2 months. Any thoughts? Have you ever heard of this?

She's a healthy, active kid, and not overweight, but she is very tall for her age and has very fair skin (so their purple appearance is very noticable).

If they are stretch marks, any solutions to minimize the long-term appearance of them?

Hi V.,
I know that some boys when they are in their young teens they shoot up in height very quickly and get stretch marks. Because she is tall maybe this is what she has too? You may want to try a stretch mark cream for her just to see if it helps.
Debra

Hi V.,
Debra

Completely normal in a growing healthy girl. I was was extremely thin as a child and when I started going through puberty and my hips started spreading, I also got stretch marks on my hips. Growth spurts can trigger them because the body is growing faster than the skin can keep up with. Also, your daughter is probably prone to stretch marks. To help you can try Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Skin Therapy Oil; I've heard that it works really well :-)

Same thing happened to me when I was about 12 or 13. I wasn't overweight and average height. The doctor told my mom it was from a normal growth spurt. My BIL got odd stretch marks across his back when he was about 11. At first my mother in law thought he had scratched himself. At the nest check up they asked about it and he said that they were from a growth spurt as well.

I agree with the others that these are normal. I got horizontal stretch marks on my lower back across my hips as a teen. They are pretty noticeable now. I wish I had rubbed lotion in them early on. However, what I think works the best and prevented me from getting any pregnancy stretch marks is pure vitamin E. Take a vitamin E capsule (these are in the vitamin section) and break it open. There is a thick oily substance inside. Rub the oil on the stretch marks. It should help.

I also started getting them around 12 or 13. I got them on my hips & thighs. I was average size. I guess it was just the rapid growth. They are not very noticable now, but I was very self concious when they were dark. Keeping the skin moisturized helps. Also, taking Ester C, rubbing cocoa butter & vitamin E oil helps. The vitamin E oil has helped the most to prevent them in pregnancy. There are some other things that a dermatolagist can prescribe, but I've never tried them. There are laser therapies also. Prevention to the best of your ability is the best thing you can do. It's mostly genetics & the type of skin we have.

This is completely normal. I had a lot of growth stretch marks throughout growing up. Obviously, I still have them, but they are faded now. Many people in the world get stretch marks growing up, esp. if there are rapid spurts.

I got stretch marks on my lower back and hips as well as on my breasts when I started going through puberty. None of them were purple at all, just really wierd clear looking lines that are still there to this day (I'm only 23, lol)
There are lots of creams and oils out there for stretch marks. I use Tummy Honey Butter to prevent them when I am pregnant and have never gotten a new one, so I would think that maybe their other creams might help too. Here is a link to them at Wal-Mart
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7386265

I second everything that everyone has stated: Growth. I got them to when I developed hips. A few on the inside of my thighs from dance at that time too. I was normal size. One good thing is .... I didn't get any during either of my pregnancies. :-)

1 / 3