10 Year Old's First Period

I'm reeling, my daughter got her first period last night. She took it exceptionally well- I had been trying to prepare her for the last few months. I'm not sure whether I should make a big deal out of this or just treat it like an every day occurance. I bought her a box of chocolate covered cherries and a card but I'm wondering if I should do more. She's getting ready to go live with her dad in a few weeks and I just want to make sure she's prepared completely to handle this. She has a step mom that will be there and they have a very good relationship but I don't know if there's more I should do. Any suggestions are appreciateed.

Thank you all for your advice, we have had the sex talk so often and frequently that she dreads the subject. I have to laugh because I remember getting the talk from my parents and I've never been so uncomfortable in my life so we talk about it whenever the mood strikes and I treat it like every other conversation we have so she doesn't feel trapped like I did. She was okay with me telling her dad and my mom and she knows that I'm going to be talking to her step mom but she doesn't want anyone else to know and I say that's just fine. She's doing really well and all of your advice helped ME get through it.

Hi, That was sweet to buy her swwets. Treat her as if it is another day, so when she goes on with life it just come normal. Talk to her about it. Tell her what it is doing to ehr body in simple ways. Hate to tell you but this is good time as any to talk to ehr about sex too because kids learn earlier than we did.
This is from a single mom of 4 and two are girls.

It is something to be celebrated and if the step-mom is not aware of your daughter's period starting the two of you need to talk. Some women are not comfortable talking about such private things so you need to make sure the step-mom is there and available to your daughter for help and advice.

Also make sure your daughter is aware that if she has any strong or what feels like unbearable symptoms or pain during her period to let you are the step mom know since there is all types of wearable heating pads and over the counter medicines she can take, she doesn't have to suffer or be embarrassed.

Hi, I'm new to the group and I am excited to be a part of thsi network! As for you M., use this as a teaching and sharing moment. This can be a very crucial time, especially for a 10 year old. Go over every sceneriao with her and talk to her how to handle it (accidents, cramps, hygeine, etc). Be sure she carries a purse all the time now, instead of on her "P"days. Boys can be so cruel at this time. Most of all, help her to stay comfortable and get on a schedule. Keeping a calendar so she can be prepared.

Well you did the right thing. I started mine when I was 10 also. It was horrible for me. My sister went and told everyone at school. My mom was supported of me the whole way. It is hard for girls, when they start early. Most of there classmates haven't started. Just let her know there is nothing wrong with it, and she is becomming a woman early. Let her know you know how she feels, and if she needs you at all, you will be there for her. Talk to your ex husband wife and let her know, so she can be pepared to handle it. But let her know not to make a big deal about it. You can, but not her!

I think the chocolate & card was very nice. I took my daughter out to dinner. We dressed up so she felt like a young lady & had a nice dinner. I think no matter what you do they will grow up & remember & you just started a tradition in your daughters life for her daughter one day. Good luck & God Bless You & your daughter.

this may sound a little different...when my girl started, we had her a period party..with evertthing red,red cake,balloons,etc.i only invited the people that she was close to,,family and friends,,she had a book that all wrote different things about their experiences for her to keep,,it was really a good time,,she enjoyed it and has not forgoten anything she has learned

Congratulations first of all. I would not done anything different. Just reassure your daughter that this is a first step of becoming a young woman. Explain to her the shifts in hormones and emotional rollercoster she will be experiencing. Tell her that she can always talk to you or her stepmom. I think you handle it wonderfully. I would also talk to her stepmom and tell her that she may have questions regarding this event in her life and to help her coup with any discomfort she may have. Good Luck.

What you've done sounds good. Because she's going to stay with her Dad, make sure she packs some supplies "just in case" since you don't know what her cycle will be. She can pack them where or in a way that her Dad won't see them if she wants to. I would make a discrete call to her stepmom and let her know what's going on so that, if needed, she can be supportive without being shocked and unprepared. No need to make too big a deal out of it, it is an every day occurance. Congratulate her on her initiation into womanhood! Good luck to you!!

1 / 3